Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how many carbs per day is good?

The nurse practitioner at my surgeon's office told me at least 60g of Protein and 1,000-1,100 calories per day. I have been doing good with staying in the range for both but I think I am eating too many carbs. I have to do a better job with my selection of frozen dinners (like Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine) and cut back on the high carbitems (noodles, rice) that come in some of them. It's hard to take all of this into consideration when selecting foods and I had been focusing more on calories and protein. I am looking for an idea or a range of how many carbs per day is considered good with the band.:help:

Thanks to whoever suggested fitday.com. I have been using it for the past week.

I am on a low carb diet with my band <my choice> but I dont go over 20 grams of carbs the first 2 weeks, and then i stabalize at 40 grams after that..... It works so well for me. And now that I am restricted, I find that I am wanting to eat my Protein first leaving no room for carbs in the first place.....

Mind you, I get my carbs from my V8 juice and fruit. I stay away from anything that has refined sugars in it.

I have about 30 to 50 carbs a day, and it has worked great for me. I take a powder form called Daily 5 that I mix in with some lite apple juice (about 6 oz) and it gives me my entire amount of veggies and fruit needed and only has 2 carbs, of course the apple juice has some. But I try and stick to under 50 carbs a day.

I used to do Atkins very strict and stayed under 20 carbs, but now that I'm exercising more, I find that I need more carbs.

OK, at a rough guess, I *think* I'd eat like 150g of carbs a day. I dont believe in low carb diets, obviously, lol.

I've lost weight just fine. But I make them good carbs. I dont eat white processed crap. I run alot though, my treadmill shows that in the average training session I burn over 100g of carbs.

it depends on the physiology of the person. Some people feel awful when they eat primarily Protein, others (like me) feel weird when they eat too many carbs (even good carbs) and not enough Protein.< /p>

Once you have restriction, it might be difficult to eat bread, Pasta, pizza crust, rice...basically anything sticky, so the amt of those types of carbs may be self-limiting.

But the most important thing to do is stay away from junk carbs...ice cream, Cookies, chips, etc.

That's definitely true. I did get fat on a diet of highly processed carbs and so many of those things are just so hard to eat now. So I think a higher protein/lower carb diet is an important part of getting healthy and losing weight.

I just dont believe you have to totally limit carbs like Atkins. I guess I think the South Beach Diet kind of lifestyle is more my scene.

But I dont like counting anything. I just like to eat what I want when I want and you can do that if you make healthy choices most of the time.

...I take a powder form called Daily 5 that I mix in with some lite apple juice (about 6 oz) and it gives me my entire amount of veggies and fruit needed...

Can you please tell me more about this powder called "Daily 5"?:help:

I did a google search but came up with nothing.

Sure would appreciate the tip!!!!!!!!

My clinic's dietician said to keep the carbs at or below 50g a day in total for the 1st 6 months post-op. She said we'd take a look at everything about my diet again at that point (and also at a year) to make adjustments to the kinds of foods & portions.

I've seen her one-on-one 3 times already...and I'll only be 8-weeks post-op tomorrow! I feel like I need to make the most of all the tools that my clinic offers! :biggrin1:

She also gave me this guideline when shopping: 3/3/3 Look for things with 3 or less grams of fat & carbs and 3 or more grams of Protein. That's been a helpful tip, too, along with the "if it's white, it ain't right" notion.

i'm a diabetic and my doctor(internist) told me 150 carbs/day....i also don't believe in low carb diets.......but i chose good carbs....have lost 100 lbs. so it seems to work for me........i love veggies and that's the reason i have chosen to keep my carbs!

Can you please tell me more about this powder called "Daily 5"?:help:

I did a google search but came up with nothing.

Sure would appreciate the tip!!!!!!!!

http://store.agoodvitamin.com/jada563ozpo.html

this is a link that you can buy it. I actually purchased mine at our local health food store. I love the taste of it, and it gives me a lot of energy.