Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reactive Hypoglycemia After Bariatric Surgery

So you don't think I've got reactive hypoglycemia? Sorry a bit confused as I'm not oregnant I'm 48 and a year post op these symptoms only came on a few weeks ago and this is what another experienced sleever said I had and fits my symptoms. I will ask my GP for a blood monitor when I see her next week and as I'm in the uk I hope they supply it on the NHS even though I'm a self pay bariatric patient.

So you don't think I've got reactive hypoglycemia? Sorry a bit confused as I'm not oregnant I'm 48 and a year post op these symptoms only came on a few weeks ago and this is what another experienced sleever said I had and fits my symptoms. I will ask my GP for a blood monitor when I see her next week and as I'm in the uk I hope they supply it on the NHS even though I'm a self pay bariatric patient.

Look mine came on fast and hard..The first time it happened was in the grocery store...I grabbed a bag of pecans off the grocery shelf ripped open the bag and started to eat them...I was dizzy and bumping into things. I was sure I was going to faint. I had no idea what I was doing and was slurring as my husband asked the lady to ring the pecans in and handed me the bag again and told me to sit down and wait for him...

Next time it happened when I had a treat. My eating was really off and I was not eating to be exact. All of a sudden I wanted ice cream. My hubby ran out and got it..He said well at least it is milk..That one was worse then the first...I did pass out with that one...It was at home though..My blood sugar was 2.2. Supposed to be 5 or a little over...

I did go and get a monitor and the works and now I can feel when it is coming on so I have to eat 3 meals and 3 little Snacks....

No one can tell you how you feel or if or not you have this condition. Go to your Doctor and explain. Or call your team. My nut recognized it immediately and sent me to my family doctor..Where he said yup it is so!!! Do this...I have been working on it now and hopefully I can do it with proper eating and not meds to control it.... @@musiclover

there are different kinds of hypoglycemia. the only way to know what kind you have is to get a monitor and start checking your BGL and see how food and eating and not eating is affecting you.

you might just need to adjust how and when you are eating, you may have reactive hypoglycemia, or something else. the only way to know is to track and get info.

My blood sugar dropped to 38 when it hit me I got wobbly & wierd feeling @ work, sweating very bad, shaking uncontrollably all happened in 30 seconds or less & it drained all my energy for 12 hrs. This feeling was like instant death but awful in slow motion

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Once you know you are prone to hypoglycemic incidents post op, you need to be very aware and pay attention to your body.

I have had numerous episodes but it took me a while to figure out what was driving it. For me, it has nothing to do with cupcakes! It has entirely to do with hours between meals.

I usually eat 5 to 6 small meals per day now. If I do that, then I don't have a problem. If I go 3 or 4 hours without eating something small like cottage cheese with some strawberries, I know I will have an episode.

I was definately someone who had instances of this when I was heavy but now, they happen more frequently if I am not careful.

The bad news is they happen fast! On several occasions I did not even recognize what was happening to me until I was nearly passed out. My glucose has gone as low as 32 before I figured out what was happening and I was home alone. I remember my hands trembling so bad I could not get my glucose tablets open as they were sealed.

Now, if I even start to feel the small signs I check my sugar. If it goes below, 70 I know it's time for something to eat.

I do try to keep sugar to a minimum and if I do indulge, I make sure there is Protein to go along with it.

Once I figured out what was going on, I seem to be able to manage it a bit better however I still have one or two episodes per week.

I just keep glucose and my meter available and I will usually pack something if I am out for the day.

I was never diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, but when I was pregnant, my blood sugar would drop to the high 40's (normal fasting is 70-100). I managed it by eating several small meals - every 3 or 4 hours - making sure I had good amounts of Protein in each. Which also cleared up my all-day morning sickness. Outside of pregnancy, I've had a few times where I got clammy and shaky and knew what it was and got some sugar on board quick.

You can get glucose meters and supplies without a prescription, but a prescription is required for insurance to cover the cost. But it's important to be working with your doc and team regardless.

I'm not far along enough to see if it's better or worse after the sleeve, but I'm on the lookout for it. This is a great topic, thanks for posting it!!

I had a very bad episode on vacation last year. I passed out in front of my grand daughter and worse the tide was coming in on the Bay of Fundy. As much as I am now used to this condition it can still rear up even when I am properly maintaining my Protein intake and everything. I find that if I get too excited about something happening it can happen anyway. My count goes down below 2 which 5 is normal.

It has caused some issues with my over all health and some weight gain. It is just another symptom of the choices we make regarding what we feel is best for our overall health.

Even with this nasty part of it. I am still happy I did it.... :)

Just a caution about this problem - artificial sweeteners can cause it in some people too. you wouldn't expect artificial sweeteners to raise your blood sugar but they can in some people, and then it drops very fast. This happens to me when I use some of the artificially sweetened coffee additives.

In addition to Protein at meals and Snacks, try to include a bit of good fat (real butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc) which keeps your blood sugar stable longer.

Just a caution about this problem - artificial sweeteners can cause it in some people too. you wouldn't expect artificial sweeteners to raise your blood sugar but they can in some people, and then it drops very fast. This happens to me when I use some of the artificially sweetened coffee additives.
In addition to Protein at meals and Snacks, try to include a bit of good fat (real butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc) which keeps your blood sugar stable longer.

Look at coffee mate regular. I T says zero sugars, yet the 1st ingredient is solid corn Syrup. Drops me and I tested it with a glucometer

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

What types of "snacks" do you keep on hand for this issue? I'm interested in knowing what would be doable during the liquid phase particularly. I'm thinking cottage cheese for the soft food time but this is not something you can have on hand in your purse on the go. Now, before WLS I always carry almonds in my purse. That's not doable after surgery....