Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band in 3 days! Scared to death!

Am having the band put on Thursday 3/27 and I am so scared! What if I die and leave my 2 young boys without a mother because of a surgery I "chose" to have? I asked the surgeon and he promised me that nobody has died under his care from the band. But u can't get past this! I ate all day yesterday out of nerves and fear. It was the only thing that calmed me down. Hence the situation I am in. Thanks for listening

So sorry this is scary for you. Since you have young children, I will assume you are much younger than I. I have three grown children and two granddaughters who are 16 and 19. One of the reasons I have decided to have this surgery is because it is very likely my one and only chance to see great grandchildren. Over the years, I finally learned to turn things over to God. That is about the only advice I have to offer. I will be watching to see your first post-surgery report. Stay strong and live well. Carol

@@amber81499 this is a natural fear to have when your facing surgery. Think about your young boys and if you have a heart attack or stroke from being overweight and you leave them. Think about how they would feel if you had a life long disease that was drawn out and painful for you and them and eventually slowly painfully you left them?

Try to turn your fear into excitement for all the things that you are electing to do with and for your family. That is why you are having this surgery! To be a healthier and happier you for your children so you can see them grow up and participate in their lives with them.

Fear can be debilitating and tear you down if you let it, so don't let it. Don't turn to what has caused you harm in the past. You are working toward the future now. Your future, your happiness your health. Get back on track and get your head in the game! This is your LIFE. You are not choosing to have an unnecessary surgery, you are choosing your health and well being over a life of sickness and pain.

I was banded in May of 2013 and my husband 3 days after me and I have to tell you friend I have not regretted it for one second and neither has he.

You got this! Check back in and let us know how your doing!

Am having the band put on Thursday 3/27 and I am so scared! What if I die and leave my 2 young boys without a mother because of a surgery I "chose" to have? I asked the surgeon and he promised me that nobody has died under his care from the band. But u can't get past this! I ate all day yesterday out of nerves and fear. It was the only thing that calmed me down. Hence the situation I am in. Thanks for listening

I TOTALLY understand this…my kids are 3 and 7 and I had WLS in Sept. I had those same awful feelings and when I met with the anesthesiologist and he asked if I had any questions….I flat out said "I will wake up right???" He looked at me and said "most definitely".

Hang in there…it will be here soon and you will be ok….I also said a little prayer before I went to the hospital that morning….that couldn't hurt either! ;)

I understand your fear, I have had the same one myself. If it helps you, turn the thinking around this way--there is a far greater danger of mortality if you don't have this surgery (such as from heart attack, stroke, etc.). That being said, WLS is usually a very smart, responsible decision for better health, so don't beat yourself up over that. My friend got the Lap Band and got back in shape because she wanted to be there for her kids and grandkids, and she's much better now. We will all keep each other in our thoughts prayers. Blessings and try not to worry about it too much,

S

Big hug sweetie! Hoping that when the day comes, you will be confident with your decision and looking forward to all the things you can do!

I had the same fear and my daughters are in college. Pray and know this is a lifesaving choice. You'll be happy you did it. I am.