Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When would one have it removed?

Under what circumstances should one have a removal? I have been having this terrible back pain, chest pain and rib pain since Thursday. Not to mention the shoulder and incision area pain. Are these normal? I am wondering if I should have it removed. Is my body rejecting it? At this point, I regret ever having done it and I would never advise anyone to do it. Are these feelings normal too?

There are all kinds and types of pain associated with this surgery. Everyone reacts to it differently. How long ago were you banded? It sounds like normal symptoms of the surgery to me. I had all of those. The shoulder pain is most likely gas..try gasX. The ones that dissolve in your mouth are wonderful. You'll need lots! Try liquid tylenol for the pain unless your doctor gave you something stronger. The first few days after my surgery I was in a lot of pain and was so mad at myself for having the surgery.

I didn't think I'd survive the liquid part of the diet...I was mad, depressed, and just mean! LOL!!! I got through it though and I'm so happy now!!! I can eat pretty much anything so far. Don't worry...each day, you'll feel a little better and soon you won't even have a twinge of pain to remind you that you were banded. It does get better!! Hang in there.

Ronda,

Take it from me, the pain does go away!!! I was banded on 3/19 and I was in horrible pain in my back, shoulder and neck. It was all from the gas. It took a good 7 days for all of it to start going away. I was hungry and just wanted food. It was tough getting the Protein shakes down. All I did was cry and whine for days!!! Thank god my husband is so supportive.

It will get better! Some people have a low threshold for pain and I was one of them! I thought for sure before the surgery that I would bounce right back and be my normal self but I was sooo wrong! I'm 2 weeks post-op, no back/shoulder/neck pain but my incisions are still a little sore. It takes time for your body to heal and you need to give it all the time it needs. Some people just need more time than others. Please don't give up! You'll get through it! You have a lot of support here!

Sherri

I admit I do have a low pain tolerance. My pharmacy also has not gotten my liquid Prozac yet and I have been without. I finally took a capsule and emptied it into a spoon of pudding and now I feel a bit better...at least I am not crying.

The nurse at the surgery center told me that since I was shorter, the pain would be more than for someone that was not vertically challenged. At 5'2", it has been terrible. My friend told me that my mind would play head games with me, especially where food is involved. It has been the most difficult thing going from eating whatever to not eating at all. I am starving for pinto Beans or butter Beans. And I know each of you have experienced the very same thing and I am not alone. Thank you so much each of you for your kindness, guidance and wise words.

I am hoping that this is what childbirth is like and the pain I will forget someday. I was going to get back to work today but I think I may just stay off a full two weeks to recover. I don't think I can handle the stress that my job gives. I would be breakdown queen.

you need to give it more time!! Every pain you described seems normal when I compare it to my experience. I have been banded less then a week and most if not all the pain is gone. I do have a high threshhold for pain and it takes a lot for me to get "whiney", I do not know if that is a good or bad thing. The only thing I almost whined about was the shoulder and neck pain, but it did go away after about 5 days. Actually today is the first day it has completly disappeared. Lots of people on this site say to get up and walk as much as possible, even if it is just around the house. I think it helped me. The only complaint I have now is the lingering gas-however I have heard this too will pass (pardon the pun). And remember-good things come to those who wait, also remember the band will not instantly cure years of bad eating choices.

Please take my advice, and ask your surgeon to do a cat scan on your chest area. I had that same sort of pain. And i ended up having a blood clot in my lung. Please please please go get checked. I dont want to scare you or anything. But i had pain that started at my shoulder, and went all the way down to my hip, and around to my back. Please let us know what happens. I wish you the best of luck.

~Hotpink~

Time for me to complain. I just spent the last 8 hours or so trying not to fart or burp in class. When does this darn gassiness go away!!!