Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irregular cycles still?

Hi ladies

As we all know, one of the many effects of obesity is irregular monthly cycles. I'm still pre op, but I've lost approx 30 pounds and have had a continual cycle since I am continuing to lose. Surgery is in 8 days. Anyone else experience this ?

I was in the same position you are in when I had surgery. I started my monthly right about two weeks before surgery and it ran its course for that two weeks and stopped. Then right on surgery date about two hours before I started right back up and had a period for three months past. I know certain surgeons have you stop birth control right before surgery as a precautionary reason for blood clots. I never stopped mine because it was surgically placed. Anyways, your body is changing and loosing that extra weight so the hormones will be going CRAZY.

Im pe-op as well and I have lost 30 lbs on the limitations my surgeon has put me on. My cycle hasn't been continual but It has gotten a lot heavier then it ever...EVER has been!!!!

I lost 15 pounds prior to surgery. I was on my period when I had my surgery. I was wondering after my surgery if my period would become irregular, and actually it's been on time like clockwork (I have never been on the pill). It has however, become more painful. Prior to the surgery I would drink at lot of Water prior to and during my period, but since having the sleeve drinking Water has become a little more difficult, so my periods are a little more painful. I still try to get in more than I can. It helps for me ;).

A few years ago I was diagnosed with something called Polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is actually a very common problem amongst overweight women. It causes irregular periods and small cysts in the ovaries. It is also linked with weight gain, diabetes, and heart disease. PCOS is one of the reasons why I finally decided to have weight loss surgery. There is not much awareness about it and although I had textbook symptoms since I was a teen. I was not diagnosed until my 30s. Anyway my point is talk to your Obgyn about your irregular periods. It's important to get your hormones under control.