Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left side pain...any help?

Hi! Am wondering if anyone can help me. I had surgery on Feb 17 and am still having a lot of pain on my left side, up front. Sometimes the pain radiates to my back also. My husband says I still need to relax and take it easy. If I sit too long, it hurts when I get up. I don't know if I did something to hurt my insides such as turning or twisting or lifting or bending. Anyone have this problem? Or have any info on it or about it? Please send my way! Thanks!!

I had left side pain for a LONG time that started about 3 weeks after surgery. My pain was to the left of my navel. It perplexed me because I didn't have an incision where it hurt, but the pain felt a lot like I had! At one point it was so bad that I hesitated to get up -- that's when it hurt the most. It was a burning awful pain.

I spoke to both the nurse and the dr about it. The doctor even saw me. I was sure I had a hernia or something terrible going on. It was normal. The nerves start to regenerate about this time -- and the pain I was feeling was nerve pain -- and the nurse assured me that it would go away as suddenly as it came on. I didn't believe her. I used some of my left over pain medication for a night or two, a heating pad and took it easy. One day I woke up and it was gone! Crazy!

Anyhow, that's my story. Hope your pain subsides very soon.

Another possibility is some doctors use drains for the surgery and they are on the left side. Possibly because they are somewhat larger than other instruments used for laparoscopic surgery, it seems to take the drain site a little longer to heal. Usually resolves itself in a few weeks. Just keep in mind that you will want to call your doctor for any pain that is or becomes severe.

Congratulations on your surgery! You're gonna love the new you!!

Thank you for the replies!! I'm very relieved that others have been thru this and have answers!

I had this same pain for about three weeks and it was frustrating. I called the doctor and was told that they used the biggest tool in the left side incision and did the most work with that tool so it would be more tender. This was also the only incision where my surgeon went through big muscle. I had the pain for about three weeks, and it was pretty severe, especially when moving from lying to sitting. Then one day it was just gone and I felt 100x better. Try a heating pad if your dr is ok with it. Good luck!