Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant see any weight loss

Im two weeks out from my surgery ( gastric bypass ), I'm 208 lbs. this is thrilling for me I haven't been anywhere near that wait for over 17 years. My problem is I look the same, pants are still tight, tummy big as ever, shirts still won't lay flat. How can this be? Yes I believe my boobs may be more saggy & people say my face looks thinner, I don't see it, I think because they know about my surgery they are searching for something nice to say. I can't believe I lost so much weight with nothing to show. Also I'm still on clear liquid diet & I'm hungry all the time! I thought I was supposed to feel full.????

Give it time!!! Or better yet take a pic.. If u have any to compare to before surgery. I could never see the weight loss unless I took pictures!

Give it time!!! Or better yet take a pic.. If u have any to compare to before surgery. I could never see the weight loss unless I took pictures!

Thank you I'll try that, I have a pic they took when I began the process but it was with a Polaroid & I was way to far back. I don't like the idea of it but maybe I'll have to try one w/o my shirt on.????

I am 2 weeks post-op gastric sleeve. With the one week pre- op and post op liquid diet I have lost 15 pounds. I can't tell a lot of difference in my clothes yet but my husband did my measurements the night before surgery and then last night It included wrists and ankles and calves etc. I lost 1/2 in in a lot of places- a total of 7 inches! The only place I didn't lose was my waist which was actually a little bigger which is why I guess my pants don't feel smaller. I saw the surgeon today and he said my incisions are healing fine but there is still a little inflammation. So I think it's probably just part of the recovery process and it will happen in time! I know it's so hard waiting though!! Congrats in your loss! That is so awesome!!!!

Im two weeks out from my surgery ( gastric bypass ), I'm 208 lbs. this is thrilling for me I haven't been anywhere near that wait for over 17 years. My problem is I look the same, pants are still tight, tummy big as ever, shirts still won't lay flat. How can this be? Yes I believe my boobs may be more saggy & people say my face looks thinner, I don't see it, I think because they know about my surgery they are searching for something nice to say. I can't believe I lost so much weight with nothing to show. Also I'm still on clear liquid diet & I'm hungry all the time! I thought I was supposed to feel full.

Welcome to the forum Daly! Lots of great folks here - you'll enjoy sharing your journey.

Several ideas came to mind when I read your post.

• Hungry all the time - are you getting enough liquids? Hungry and thirsty signals to the brain are very similar and it is common for folks to have difficulty telling the difference. Most doctors recommend 64oz a day. Two weeks out you probably will not be able to drink that much but the name of the game is sip, sip, sip - constantly throughout the day.
  • Most RnY patients have little if any appetite for several weeks following the surgery. It is likely that what you are experiencing is head hunger as opposed to physical hunger. The liquids will help. Keep in mind too that your former stomach, now your new pouch, has nerves in it that serve as stretch sensors. Those nerves are usually ineffective for several weeks to months following the trauma of the surgery. As a result, your brain does not receive the "full" signals generated by those nerves until they've had time to heal. That makes it doubly important to follow the protocol as closely to the letter as you possibly can, even though you may not be feeling "full". It will come in time!
  • It's very common for folks to say that the scales tell them they have lost weight but they don't "see" it. Your brain develops what science calls your "body image". That's the good news. The bad news is that it takes a while for your brain to catch up with your weight loss. Your friends are probably not just trying to be nice. They probably really do see the difference in your appearance even though you don't. Be patient - your brain will get there.
  • Start setting aside your "new wardrobe" fund now - it's coming. Guaranteed!
  • Starting weight of 256 and you're currently 208 - huge congratulations!! You obviously are doing absolutely fabulous!!

You're gonna love the new you!!

Edited by DLCoggin

I was 40 pounds down before my pants started feeling loose. Then it was like someone pulled the plug and I was changing pant sizes every few weeks.

It will happen. Just keep doing the right thing.

Thank you DL Cloggin, I'm so glad I found this sight. What you said was so important for me to hear. Nobody told me any of this, not the nurses, or Dr, even the nurtritionalest.

What you said makes so much sense, I can't wait till the nerves in my stomach start working properly. It was scary to think I went through so much to get here only to feel hungry all the time.

I also can see how the brain is playing its part. I feel like a drug addict because my brain keeps telling me "I need the food I crave, I need the food I crave, my day will fall to pieces if I don't have it."

Weird thing is that is what exactly happens. I get panicky, listless, down, and edgy. I notice every little thing that goes wrong or is a challenge in my day & fixate on it, if my husband has a certain look on his face or uses a certain tone of voice I get snippy.

Which convinces me even more that if I had that doughnut & coffee my life would be better. Thus I know having those things in reality will make things worse but the voices are still there.

Edited by Daly444

I have the same problem. I am down 30lbs already but I don't see it at all. My pants are tight, in fact pants that use to be small are tight now! My doctors said that it's a matter of gravity. My body isn't use to what is going on and is readjusting itself to change. My lower role is sagging a bit more because the changes to the other areas are causing it to lower. He said just hang in there and know that it will all adjust properly soon enough. I cried but I understood. Just hang in there and don't be hard on yourself. I wear sweatpants most of the time right now so that I'm not upset or hurting.

I have the same problem. I am down 30lbs already but I don't see it at all. My pants are tight, in fact pants that use to be small are tight now! My doctors said that it's a matter of gravity. My body isn't use to what is going on and is readjusting itself to change. My lower role is sagging a bit more because the changes to the other areas are causing it to lower. He said just hang in there and know that it will all adjust properly soon enough. I cried but I understood. Just hang in there and don't be hard on yourself. I wear sweatpants most of the time right now so that I'm not upset or hurting.

Thanks for the positive message. I carry a lot of fat in my stomach & what you said sounds just like what I'm going thru. You were smart to talk to your Dr. I don't have that type of access but there's a nurse were I go who said I can call any time or come in for free visits. I guess I forgot I have this option available to me. Also I think I'm going to buy some sweat pants! Also do you or anyone else feel like muscles in your side & abdomen are sore from my stomach starting to sag?

Daly,

How far out from your surgery are you again? I would just talk your doctors office or support groups as much as you need. I feel really lucky to have the surgeon and surgeon office that I have. I call or they call me like 2x a week and we talk recovery, food, life, exercise and my body adjustment or whatever I need. I suggest finding a group that you can do that with. As for the pain in the stomach area, I do still have that. It's not as much as it was at first and more so only happens when I do to much or try to lay a certain way. Your body needs to adjust so let it. :)

I had lapband but sometimes when you've been heavy for a long time (like me) I don't notice my weight loss like other people. I've lost almost 60 pounds and I still feel like I'm fat. I think maybe because this is not like a diet. We are all losing weight a little faster than we realize and our minds haven't caught up with our bodies! I'm sure that you look great & congrats on your surgery to change your life! I'm so happy for you :)