Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you do a site search for caffeine, you'll find this issue has come up so often to the point where it's akin to beating a dead horse. Medically speaking, if you tolerated coffee/caffeine okay before surgery, you should have no problem tolerating it afterwards. I waited about a week and every day since then I've had 1-2 cups of coffee a day. Caffeine is not the boogeyman. Just make sure you continue to get enough Water in daily as it's a diuretic.

I was not told to avoid caffeine. I drink several cups of tea each day. And a soda once in a while. With a straw.....I'm a rebel!

I was told pre-op to give up beverages with caffeine, carbonation, and sugar. I was told last week I can have my coffee back. My first thought was Yay!!! Then it hit me how great I have felt and my skin looks amazing. People are asking if I switched my make up! I don't know which one of the 3 was the culprit, but I've decided to continue the healthy regimen. And trust me, I was a coffee freak and loved an occasional Diet Coke! Just do what you feel is right for you. : )

I have two cups of coffee every morning and use Crystal Lite with Caffeine ..I need a little boost...As long as you are used to it or over do it then there shouldn't be a problem...Now I did cut my coffee drinking down...It was nothing for me to drink a whole pot in the morning before work and then another couple of cups at work...That is no more! Just one or two cups in the morning and then I never finish a cup off either.

Ahhh the coffee debate! LOL. You'll get many opinions.

My surgeon required me to be caffeine free 2 weeks before surgery when I started my pre-op diet. I tried cold turkey the month before and it was a disaster. I weened myself off and was caffeine free when I started my pre-op diet.

I'll admit, I had a cup of coffee or two every week because it helped with the Constipation after surgery - sometimes that was the only thing that helped. My doc didn't approve caffeine until week 8 and I had to make a pinkie promise to not go back to my 4-5 cup a day habit. Her reasoning is the acid in the coffee can irritate the stomach lining and also the diuretic effects.

I have one cup of real coffee a day, some days, I have two.

I didn't give up my caffeine just the forms in which I consume it. I used to be a huge soda and coffee drinker (high calorie coffee, i.e. Caramel Latte). Now I drink hot and cold tea w/ splenda. I get my caffeine fix without the calories.

the story I have is that caffeine is an appetite stimulant as well as a diuretic... I haven't gone back to caffeine in any way... Decaf tea, etc... you may find that once you cleanse your body of the caffeine, y ou may not want it anymore...

My doc's biggest concern with caffeine is the added risk of dehydration, particularly if you have troubles getting all your liquids in. He'd prefer we never use it again. Once upon a time I recall hearing somewhere that for every caffeinated beverage you need a non-caffeine one to counter the Fluid loss the caffeine can cause. It's probably not that cut and dry, but I'll stay away for now since it's not calling me. I have had Decaf coffee a couple times. Satisfied that warm mug of something to sip feeling.

It's probably not that big a deal if you get plenty of other fluids and are tuned in to signs of dehydration just in case. Just my opinion and we know what opinions are like. ;)

Wouldn't hurt to get your doc's/nut's blessing. (yes, I'm a worry wart newbie)

Edited by NotSoTall

One of the reason I really like my surgeon is he tells you straight and whats really behind the fluff we are almost scared into like how easy it is to stretch a sleeve- its really not that easy at alllll.

Anyway they say no caffeine mostly because they want you off soda and it’s a diacritic and caffeine addiction can have really bad withdrawal symptoms.

I was given normal caffeinated tea first thing in the morning on ward after my op.

I drink Decaf tea as I have never like the effect teas caffeine has on me bad bad headaches.

I drank at least 2ltr of coke a day every day and never had the kind of headaches I get the day after drinking caffeinated tea all day.

But when I have coke bet your life its got caffeine in it!

Though it does help you go number 2 regularly it stimulates the intestines and bowel.

Like I said on another thread I found a plain Water with caffeine in it. I work overnight and need my caffeine. I don't drink coffee or tea. I use to do at lest 2 liters of diet coke a day.