Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

serious problems

Hi. I got gastric bypass on 12/19/13 and I've lost over 45 pounds so far. However some time last month I've been having problems that are starting to affect my every day life. It started with cramping in my pouch at work, which is rather physical. Then I started having serve pain and nausea after eating and drinking Water. After that I started throwing up everything I ate and drank. Now I'm throwing up and having dumping syndrome constantly even though I am not eating and barely drinking. I also nearly passed out at my job twice and I ended up in the er in my hometown because my blood pressure was through the roof. I'm not sure what to do our what is causing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by SwanQueen

Since you mentioned being in the er, I would guess that they checked you for strictures?

They did a cat scan and xray but they told me they had no clue what to look for since they weren't familiar with weight loss surgery. The local hospital here is terrible.it's nicknamed death valley because people go in with minor problems and end up dead. I just got off the phone with a nurse at the bariatric center where I had the surgery done and she is going to speak to the surgeons to see what they want me to do.

Edited by SwanQueen

Possible stricture was my first thought as well. But I don't know if that would explain the high blood pressure. Definitely time to see your surgeon. Nausea and vomiting are pretty common and they are lots of options for treating that. The question is the cause.

Welcome to the forum and please keep us posted on your progress!!

Hey everybody. I wanted to let you all what all has happened. First my esophagus had shrunk and needed opened. However things did not get better for me in fact they got worse. I just came back from a five day hospital stay. I was diagnosed with starvation ketosis. Basically my body was sitting down and acid was raising in my blood and my co2 levels dropped. It was also affecting my kidneys. This is extremely rare to happen to someone who has had weight loss surgery gene why it wasn't caught for three months. I was told I work be struggling with this for the rest of my life because my body cannot handle not eating the foods I'm not appear to be eating. (Carbs and sugars) things should be manageable once I can have bread wraps and Pasta but that will not be until close to the end of summer until then I was told to eat as many cards as I can and I am to have it in every meal. I am no longer be allowed to have sugar free things and I must start putting sugar in my diet. I also need to eat more small meals. I was told if this is not put under control it will lead to kidney/liver failure, comatose, and possible death. I have lost my job do to the fact my body is too weak to handle such a physical job. I have a very long road ahead of me. Thank you to everyone who replied to my post.

Nj

Hey everybody. I wanted to let you all what all has happened. First my esophagus had shrunk and needed opened. However things did not get better for me in fact they got worse. I just came back from a five day hospital stay. I was diagnosed with starvation ketosis. Basically my body was sitting down and acid was raising in my blood and my co2 levels dropped. It was also affecting my kidneys. This is extremely rare to happen to someone who has had weight loss surgery gene why it wasn't caught for three months. I was told I work be struggling with this for the rest of my life because my body cannot handle not eating the foods I'm not appear to be eating. (Carbs and sugars) things should be manageable once I can have bread wraps and Pasta but that will not be until close to the end of summer until then I was told to eat as many cards as I can and I am to have it in every meal. I am no longer be allowed to have sugar free things and I must start putting sugar in my diet. I also need to eat more small meals. I was told if this is not put under control it will lead to kidney/liver failure, comatose, and possible death. I have lost my job do to the fact my body is too weak to handle such a physical job. I have a very long road ahead of me. Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. Nj

I hope you get everything under control soon! Everything you are going to sounds very scary, sending thoughts your way I hope you have your strength back soon.

So sorry to hear your having so much trouble. May I ask what the symptoms are for starvation ketosis. I've never heard of it. I've felt so sick since the surgery. I have no energy. It's awful. I hope you are feeling better soon.

For me it was I couldn't keep (and starting to again) anything down. Sometimes I would throw up for no reason (almost always when I was working my physically demanding job). Even Water makes me sick and feel nauseous. Another symptom I did not realize was a symptom was I was (am) having troubled thinking and walking right. I lose my balance more than usual. Sometime I say things that don't make any sense or I can't comprehend what other people are saying to me. Its like everything seems jumbled when they talk to me. I am tired all the time. I'm very very weak. I've lost all my physical strength. Its hard for me to take walks or lift amything for a certain period of time. The reason this happen is because basically your body is shutting down. If you think you might have it ask to have your co2, liver, and kidney levels tested. Best way to find out.

swanQueen, I'm so sorry. I hope you are feeling better soon and on the mend. Thank goodness you know what is wrong and hopefully you will recover quickly.