Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it is normal but...

I am starting to feel very scared about surgery on Monday. I find I am crying at the drop of a hat for no real reason (i.e. my coffee is cold) and I am not sleeping worth a damn. I know this is normal and my brain understands that but I can't help my heart and body understand that. I have done very well on my pre-op diet, have only lost 6 pounds but my nutritionist is happy and frankly, I am less concerned with the numbers than the actual direction. Regret or cold feet--no, just scared and tearful. I think another part of the equasion is I really am starting to grasp the changes my life will undergo after Monday and I just don't want to fail yet another attempt to get my weight down.

Thanks for reading and good vibes and thoughts my way would be greatly appreciated.

~namaste

ahhhhh..look what your feeling is normal. totally normal. This is a complete life changing no going back situation you are entering.

We think we know it all by reading up on it and reading others experiences. But we don't really know everything until we go through it ourselves.

The unknown factors are very scary and it is natural for your mind to affect you in negative ways when you know there is huge changes in the wind....

When you start getting weepy, think of your goals. What you want to be able to do and why you are doing this in the first place..

It is work but a good kind of work. it will be all about you and your journey to become healthy and happier and allowing the real you to surface....

So many good things ahead of you.. Write some things down that you know this will bring you.....

Breath deep, calm yourself and let it happen. let the fear ride through you and know that your doing this to better yourself...

You won't fail! You'll have up and downs but failing is not an option....

And on top of that you have us to help you a long the way.........K

RJ, thank you-your kind words felt almost like a hug :) I feel very fortunate I found this forum group and I will do some guided meditation tonight, so hopefully that will help as well.

You guys are the best.

You will not fail if you follow your plan. Any surgery is scary, with anesthesia. But this procedure for us, was 10 times easier than expected! You will be so happy! It is lifechanging with new rules. Thank God I will never pay Weight Watchers any more monty. Your tears will be wiped away when you start losing pounds! Smile at a new beginning.

Hi there.

Yep, I'm sorry to say...You're completely normal! :-)

My emotions were all over the place. I told my husband if he doesn't like my attitude right now, wait 5 minutes and I'll have a different one.

I kept trying to think about all the reasons I was doing this - it made it easier. I also thought about post-surgery life when I went to bed. What I was going to look like in a year. What kinds of clothes would I wear. Surprisingly, that made sleep better. Rather than going to bed with fear in my mind, there was hope.

You're going to do great!

Best wishes.

I too was emotional. I was all ready until the night before i became scared. I cried the day in the hospital. i almost wanted to walk out and leave. Even after i had some dough ts i ask my self did i make a mistake. i had so many what's ifs. I prayed. and now i feel as good as i cant be I'm looking forward to a new me.

RJ, thank you-your kind words felt almost like a hug :) I feel very fortunate I found this forum group and I will do some guided meditation tonight, so hopefully that will help as well.

You guys are the best.

I will tell you something about myself..I was the odd person on here. I could not wait to have this surgery and counted every moment until it would be done so I could have a second chance at life...I read everything I could. Watched videos on You Tube and was pacing wanting to get the show on the road......

Most people are like you, afraid panicky and worried. That is the normal response. Mine was not...You are going to do great...You really are feeling the new life that you are about to embark on and the responsibility it will put on you. But there are going to be so many wonderful changes so quickly that you will have a hard time keeping up with...

i look forward to hearing your Non scale victories..Because you will have many!!!!!!!! Okay!!!! :)

I was like RJ...I WAS READY!!! I had trouble sleeping, probably from being so excited, but Tylenol PM helped me there... good luck...your journey is just beginning... best thing I ever did for ME!

Not me...I almost backed out the day before surgery. And the morning of, while in admitting, I thought to myself, "I could walk out of here right now and only be out $500." I was scared to death. I was angry - angry that it had come to this, angry that I had to have surgery to lose weight.

I talked myself off the ledge by thinking about the reasons I wanted to have the surgery in the first place.

This is a life changer - it really is.

feeling better this morning, still nervous but my immediate family support has been amazing. I think a large component is my feeling of lack of control-I am a medical provider so I am trusting other folks to care for me instead of doing it myself-being type A personality just adds a touch of flair to the neurosis ROFL! I am excited and I am ready for this. I have faith in myself to accomplish this and make it a new lifestyle that is both healthy and enjoyable. Thank you all for your support and kind words of encouragement-it means a lot coming from those who have "been there and done that" as well as those who are on the journey with me.

Blessings to you all~

You guys are the best.

I will tell you something about myself..I was the odd person on here. I could not wait to have this surgery and counted every moment until it would be done so I could have a second chance at life...I read everything I could. Watched videos on You Tube and was pacing wanting to get the show on the road......

Most people are like you, afraid panicky and worried. That is the normal response. Mine was not...You are going to do great...You really are feeling the new life that you are about to embark on and the responsibility it will put on you. But there are going to be so many wonderful changes so quickly that you will have a hard time keeping up with...

i look forward to hearing your Non scale victories..Because you will have many!!!!!!!! Okay!!!! :)

Actually, I was like you. I researched and read and watched videos. I was so excited to get on with the rest of my new and improved life I moved my surgery up from Jan 10 to Dec 20 and even started my preop diet 2 days early. My only doubt was 2 days before surgery when I had a little panic attack at the grocery store because I was SO hungry and refused to cheat on my preop diet. But I got over it and haven't looked back.

You got this Dragonsmate!

I'm sure it is totally normal. Be kind to yourself, let those emotions out, and accept it as part and parcel of the journey. Best wishes for a great surgery!

Hi there.

Yep, I'm sorry to say...You're completely normal! :-)

My emotions were all over the place. I told my husband if he doesn't like my attitude right now, wait 5 minutes and I'll have a different one.

I kept trying to think about all the reasons I was doing this - it made it easier. I also thought about post-surgery life when I went to bed. What I was going to look like in a year. What kinds of clothes would I wear. Surprisingly, that made sleep better. Rather than going to bed with fear in my mind, there was hope.

You're going to do great!

Best wishes.

This really spoke to me. It really is about surrounding yourself with positive thoughts! Thanks for sharing :)