Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my medical clearance today and was shocked at what the Nurse Practitioner said to me...

My dr is one of the pioneers of the wls field infact he has doctors from all over the world come to learn from him and his staff.I double checked his stats and also found out from friends and family who have gone to this surgeon.So it was worth the 2 hour drive to have my surgery and it was done at a heart hospital too. It is very encouraging to know I am and was in the right hands and believe me after having the lapband removed this surgery was night and day. I was walking with in hours, my pain mgmt was handled very well and the sweeling of my stomach was half of what i thought it might be. Wishing you the very best experince during your surgery!

My surgeon's office keeps their own stats - they have to, to be a center of excellence. They also benchmark nationally. On average, they report that gastric sleeve patients lose about 70% of their excess weight by one year, and maintain about 60% or a little less of it over time. That's an average. Some people do worse, some do better. So, it sounds like the presentation was pretty negative, but not that far off from the truth of some reports. People see what they want to see, and it's surprising how uninformed and biased some medical professionals are.

I've been around the boards a while now, and I've seen lots of people lose 100%, a few have lost even more, and I've seen a few lose next to nothing and then not stick around here. I don't think the message boards are a totally accurate representation of all sleevers because the ones that come here are motivated. I keep coming here because I don't want to be one of those negative statistics!

I've lost 85% of my excess weight at 13 months. At my one year I had hit around 80%. My doc said I exceeded their expectations, and was more in line with gastric bypass stats. He also declared me a "success", but said that I could lose more if I wanted. He's right about that - it's up to us.

I am also at a Center of Excellence. Their stats are 60% of excess weight lost and kept off - I don't remember for how long. I was worried about this because I didn't want to just lose 60%, I wanted to lose 100%. They said 60 was an average. Many people lose and keep off 100%, but some people don't lose it all or gain back (when they don't stick with the program and change their eating habits). Those who followed the recommended eating plans had the highest success.

I believe the stats are very different for each type of WLS. I think the nuts everywhere don't get as nitty gritty with the data as we do (and the doctors do).

I am also at a Center of Excellence. Their stats are 60% of excess weight lost and kept off - I don't remember for how long. I was worried about this because I didn't want to just lose 60%, I wanted to lose 100%. They said 60 was an average. Many people lose and keep off 100%, but some people don't lose it all or gain back (when they don't stick with the program and change their eating habits). Those who followed the recommended eating plans had the highest success.

I believe the stats are very different for each type of WLS. I think the nuts everywhere don't get as nitty gritty with the data as we do (and the doctors do).

Looks like your doc's stats mirror mine, and some of the national averages I've seen. I'm with you, I also want to lose - and KEEP OFF - 100% of my excess weight. He thinks I can do it, and so do I. But I do think the last 25 pounds are going to take a long, long time.

Before surgery he told me I was a candidate for either sleeve or RNY, but would lose more with RNY. I know he meant that statistically. We don't have to be statistics, but in truth, even if we are, we are way better off with 60% of excess weight gone.

I agree, MChic. I'm pretty happy with where I am at now, 155 lbs. and size 10. I feel great and I think I look pretty good, especially compared to my presurgery XXL self. So 60% gone is awesome.

But, I know I want to get to 125 lbs. Before menopause I got down to 140 lbs. and stayed there for a number of years. I was able to stay steady at 140-143 during that time, but I always wanted to lose another 15 lbs. To my surprise, I'm rather small boned. Who knew?

These last 30 lbs. are going to be a b*tch. Only lost one pound in January :( but I did go down a size.

In reading different forums for a few months the trend I've seen is once people stop tracking what they eat daily, start incorporating those bad foods into their diet again, don't keep up on Protein and Water they start gaining again. I've heard the further you're out from surgery the harder it gets because we fall into old habits. This is a lifelong battle for us, stay the course, once you reach goal the battle isn't over.

I've learned so much from all the valuable advice from generous people that have shared their stories (successes and failures).

The NP I see at my PMD said today while performing my medical clearance for VSG next week Monday ( T- 6 Days til surgery!) that 'most ppl gain the weight back... like 50%, only one or two ppl can keep it off'. What is with the discouraging comments? I would like to know what the true stats are for re-gain post-gastric surgery.

I had 2 ppl at the hospital tell me I don't need surgery and could do it on my own....the morning of!!

One of the nurses that was performing my metabolism test a couple months ago said the same thing. "You ONLY weigh 265,Do you really think you need this surgery. Don't you think you could lose that with diet and exercise?" What I wanted to say was, DON'T YOU THINK I HAVE TRIED THAT FOR YEARS AND JUST KEEP GAINING MORE EVERY YEAR??? But I didn't.... Unless they have been there, I guess they don't have a clue. Of course this young little nurse probably weighed 130 lbs soaking wet.

Looks like your doc's stats mirror mine, and some of the national averages I've seen. I'm with you, I also want to lose - and KEEP OFF - 100% of my excess weight. He thinks I can do it, and so do I. But I do think the last 25 pounds are going to take a long, long time. Before surgery he told me I was a candidate for either sleeve or RNY, but would lose more with RNY. I know he meant that statistically. We don't have to be statistics, but in truth, even if we are, we are way better off with 60% of excess weight gone.

would you say the 60 % weight loss average for 50% of the people is because they only expect 50% to follow their guidance for success or that 100% follow it, but only 60% succeed because their plan is aimed at satisfying the lowest common denominator or "standard" success for the most number of people and not everyone can succeed with the same plan? I use quotes on "standard" because 100% weight loss would not be standard in their eyes. I would argue for the latter. Some people may follow the doctor plan to a T yet still fall outside of 60% weight loss success for a number of biological or environmental reasons. Some people may fall in the 60 % weight loss success and not follow the doctor plan, again, because of biological or environmental reasons. Just like any diet, not all will succeed by following the "standard" plan because we are all different. If you do find yourself on the unfortunate wrong side of the success line, then it just means you need to adjust the plan so it works for you. None of this might make sense, but if am just trying to logically understand where such statistics make sense given the diversity that exists in the sample set when everyone follows the same "standard" plan.

I too was discouraged from having the sleeve and was told I wouldn't lose correctly and if I did I would gain it back. I had the lap band 1 yr ago and I only lost about 20 lbs total! that was the 1st 2 months out of surgery!! I have fill after fill then band loosened. I always felt Restriction! I measured Meals and never accomplished being able to eat Protein. I vomited and slimmed everyday. Not to mention belched all the time with Water. Regurgitation Daily! I ended up with 8 scars and no real weight Loss! Now I have had all Fluid removed since I still can't keep food down. (unless its broth) but I just lose the same 5 lbs. Per My surgeons Recommendation I am having Band removed and deemed Incompatible. I want the Sleeve but don't want to pay for it… I told Doctor I wish I could have lost the weight and seen if it came back.. let me be the Judge of that! but I never lost substantial enough weight to even want to get SPOILED! I am driven and I still want to lose it successfully…

Looks like your doc's stats mirror mine, and some of the national averages I've seen. I'm with you, I also want to lose - and KEEP OFF - 100% of my excess weight. He thinks I can do it, and so do I. But I do think the last 25 pounds are going to take a long, long time. Before surgery he told me I was a candidate for either sleeve or RNY, but would lose more with RNY. I know he meant that statistically. We don't have to be statistics, but in truth, even if we are, we are way better off with 60% of excess weight gone.

would you say the 60 % weight loss average for 50% of the people is because they only expect 50% to follow their guidance for success or that 100% follow it, but only 60% succeed because their plan is aimed at satisfying the lowest common denominator or "standard" success for the most number of people and not everyone can succeed with the same plan? I use quotes on "standard" because 100% weight loss would not be standard in their eyes. I would argue for the latter. Some people may follow the doctor plan to a T yet still fall outside of 60% weight loss success for a number of biological or environmental reasons. Some people may fall in the 60 % weight loss success and not follow the doctor plan, again, because of biological or environmental reasons. Just like any diet, not all will succeed by following the "standard" plan because we are all different. If you do find yourself on the unfortunate wrong side of the success line, then it just means you need to adjust the plan so it works for you. None of this might make sense, but if am just trying to logically understand where such statistics make sense given the diversity that exists in the sample set when everyone follows the same "standard" plan.

Fiddle, I honestly haven't done the medical research to answer your question with any authority. In my opinion, though, I think that statistics tell what the researcher wants them to, in many cases. I also look at them as averages, and "not typical" as the fine print says ;) I think there are just so many variables that contribute to poor success for some, and better success for others, and that's why there is no one answer to losing and maintaining a healthy weight. That's also why physicians need to have some sort of standard to try to meet, and I think it's a lower number because of the many variables outside of their control. So, that's my personal explanation of how the statistics "make sense".

Having said that, I totally agree with you that we all have to figure out what works for us within the realm of what's reasonable. And by reasonable, I mean using common sense that includes an appropriate amount of calories and nutrition and exercise. There is no one size fits all, especially as we get to the last few pounds. I think the people who are most successful are able to figure out what that formula is, and they can fit it into a lifestyle that is acceptable for them. As for the "standard" plan, I think it makes sense in the beginning as a launching point and probably needs adjustment for most of us we get further out and closer to goal.