Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Save me from my pity party!

Help!!!! I'm usually pretty good about getting past bad days. We all have them....days where you don't make the best food choices and you kick yourself while you lay in bed at night. I just resolve to do better the next day and I usually do.

I don't know what it is....the past two days I've been horrible!!! We are using Hershey kisses to potty train my son and HOLY COW they are calling my name. And I'm responding! And not just a few...a bunch!!!! And I'm mad about it. And not just that....I hit the Snacks last night before bed too. It's like I'm pregnant (IM NOT!!!) and I can't stop! I'm exercising a ton...six days a week. Three of those days I run 2-3 miles. I know my body needs more fuel but what the hell!?!? Help!

I would consult with your doctor and/or nutritionist to confirm you are getting enough calories, etc. considering the amount of exercise. While we always have to be wary of temptation, our bodies also have ways of telling us when we are missing something. I kept craving salty stuff (more that usual) and my most recent blood work showed my sodium levels were low. So, the doctor changed my blood pressure medicine (cut the ACE inhibitor in half and got rid of the diuretic) and now my levels are looking better. As an added benefit I'm not looking for a salt lick like a deer that's about to get taken out by a hunter LOL.

Get rid of the junk food in your house. You are treating your child with food for a good deed he has done. Just like us you shouldn't be rewarding him with food. Reward him with hugs. This is just the start of him developing bad eating habits and not helping you get healthy either. There are other rewards he can get besides candy or junk food. Start him with good food habits now so he wont regret later that he was not taught better.

Get rid of the junk food in your house. You are treating your child with food for a good deed he has done. Just like us you shouldn't be rewarding him with food. Reward him with hugs. This is just the start of him developing bad eating habits and not helping you get healthy either. There are other rewards he can get besides candy or junk food. Start him with good food habits now so he wont regret later that he was not taught better.

I appreciate your advise but he's two and a half. He eats GREAT! And I feel like my kids can and should have a treat every now and then. It's my problem, not his. And there is always a snack available for them that I need to avoid....typically it's not an issue. But yesterday and today it has been and I don't know why!

Sometimes, it is better to just give in to those cravings, then move on. I also exercise a lot, and have increased my eating. I've been struggling with the calories in and calories out, but will be struggling with this the rest of my life. Like you said, after a binge or over eating, move on, and Celebrate the good days. I always look at it like this- every little change, including any exercise, and healthy eating, is a victory. Those little victories add up, and occur more often than the bad days.

Sometimes, it is better to just give in to those cravings, then move on. I also exercise a lot, and have increased my eating. I've been struggling with the calories in and calories out, but will be struggling with this the rest of my life. Like you said, after a binge or over eating, move on, and Celebrate the good days. I always look at it like this- every little change, including any exercise, and healthy eating, is a victory. Those little victories add up, and occur more often than the bad days.

That's awesome perspective! Thanks!

It helped me to use "self talk" to avoid eating anything unnecessary, especially the bad carb Snacks. Raise your awareness of everything you are wanting to cross your lips, and ask yourself before indulging "if I eat this, will it help or hinder me to reach my weight loss goal." If the answer is no, put the candy down, and walk away. Get immersed in something to move your thoughts away from snacking and unhealthy carbs.

I live with a husband who has a 34" waist and is a "junk food junkie". We always have candy, chips, Cookies, and ice cream in our home, I just made a decision that those foods were not going to get me to where I wanted to go. With practice, those bad carbs no longer are a temptation for me.

Best wishes...

Also, and this is just what happened to me- could it be a mental thing since you're so close to the under 200 range? I self sabotaged my way back up the scale last year when I got to 203. Had to recommit, start using my fitness pal again and really have a stern talk with myself :). I lost the regain and hit 199.8 this week (it was a 34 lb regain, too!). So it can be done, and you're doing well.

Also, is it near ttotm? Sometimes, with being irregular with an IUD, it sneaks up on me and I' RAVENOUS for a day or two, then Aunt Flo shows up and it all makes sense.

YMMV, good luck!
Nicki

There was a hilarious thread a while back about a woman stealing candy out of her child's advent calendar. Hard to sneak that back! Does freezing stuff work for you? That might provide a little delay if the kiss is frozen.

Just know you're doing great. I see you on MFP! For my family I have Snacks I don't like -- for instance no corn chips or regular potato chips as those might be a stumbling block for me -- but BBQ, yuck. So they get only BBQ chips at home. We have had quite a bit of chocolate in the house since Christmas. My husband keeps the Trader Joe's Peanut Butter cups in his office and that is enough of a deterrent for me. In our spice cupboard we have some bars of dark chocolate. I've had a square or two here and there with no problem. I credit the band for that. But Kisses would be hard to resist. Is there something you could switch to that doesn't provide temptation?

If you look a little closer...you might find out what's on your mind, Do you think it has anything to do with your statement title of this thread? Are you grieving your best friend, food? Hang in there hon, we have had these days too.

BTW, I totally get the sweet treat and the potty. We used m&m's, and both of my adult children are in amazing condition! My daughter, a psy. Says" you wouldn't do your job if you did not get a paycheck, would you?" Even my horses expect their carrot for a trick!

thank you everyone for the advice!! tomorrow is a new day and im going to get back on track!! it's all i can do!

Maybe put someone else in charge of the rewards so you aren't tempted.

i agree with it being okay to give your child a treat. but thistreat is causing you problems. can you come up with a different treat perhaps one that doesnt make you crave it. a 2 yo would likely be just as happy with mommy doing a happy dance(exercise) and a big gold star or something. my kid potty trained herself. my daughter just wanted to wear lacy panties.

i had to have all things i crave removed from the house. my husband said he will buy what he wanted outside , some things i put in his man cave. for some reason food in there doesnt sneer at me. have you done a calorie count. does that chocolate kiss put you over the top? maybe you are still doing good even if you ate one or two. or best yet your child gets potty trained real fast ;)

I have absolutely no objection to the use of kisses; I think whatever works is fine to get him through this and on to other milestones! (Isn't it funny how our standards drop once we've actually HAD kids?) In case you are looking for an alternative,though, we used a star chart (actually a poster of zoo animals he stuck a variety of stickers all over) and a new hot wheel after a certain number of stickers were earned. (For your own sanity's sake, buy a bunch of cars in advance!)

Good luck on both fronts!

I live with a husband who has a 34" waist and is a "junk food junkie". We always have candy, chips, Cookies, and ice cream in our home, I just made a decision that those foods were not going to get me to where I wanted to go. With practice, those bad carbs no longer are a temptation for me.

Best wishes...

I too have a husband who is tall and lean - pant size 32x34, and is a junk food junkie , he can eat anything and not gain an ounce! So the way I work around that is I buy him stuff that I don't like!

So how about replacing the kisses with something that your child likes but isn't so tempting for you?