Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

abdominal work out ideas?

Hi all, I'm looking for abdominal strengthening exercises that won't bother my port (I'm banded). I've been using the ab machine at the gym and it feels like the port is sliding down my ribs like a cheese grater as I do the crunches. Then I'm sore fir a few days afterward. Maybe there are non-machine exercises I can do? I have my one year follow up so I'll ask my physician more about why I seem to be experiencing this. Thanks!

Squats.

Plank holds!! Try holding them longer and longer and longer. This will build phenomenal core strength and tighten up the abs without moving at all.

I will try squats tonight, thank you. I've been planking off and on for a month now and it hasn't seemed to bother my port so I'll plank more often, thanks!!

There are lots of variations to planks. If you're bored or feeling limited, you have options: low plank, high plank, high plank knee to nose, knee to elbow, knee to opposite elbow, side-open plank, side-open plank with deltoid lift, side-open plank lifting top leg....it goes on.

There are lots of variations to planks. If you're bored or feeling limited, you have options: low plank, high plank, high plank knee to nose, knee to elbow, knee to opposite elbow, side-open plank, side-open plank with deltoid lift, side-open plank lifting top leg....it goes on.

Oh goodness. I just keep my back straight, butt down/straight and go up on my toes and elbows with forearms on the ground. I didn't realize there were many versions of planking! Good to know, thanks a bunch!

I've had the same issues with machines hitting my port area. Here are a few things I've learned from classes....

Lay on your back and put your feet up in the air. Now lower one leg and tap your heal to the floor going as slow as you can (or try to lower but not to the floor), raise your leg back up and do the same with the other leg. Repeat.

Lay on your back and put your feet up again but bend your calves like you're sitting in a chair but up in the air. Now extend your leg like you're pedaling a bike in the air.

Lay on your back and put your feet in the air. Lay your arms at your side and crunch up. A little goes a long way.

Lay on your back and put your feet in the air. Crunch up reaching your left hand up towards your right toe; an then right hand to left toe.

Lay on your back and put your feet in the air. Crunch up a little and rotate your core slightly left, center, slightly right, center.

I'm sure there are a ton more but this should get you going. Good luck and have fun.

One group Ab activity we like to do as a group on Saturday morning is called "the ring of fire." I know, sounds ominous doesn't it? It essentially involves a group of people sitting in a ring ("a circle") where each person picks an ab routine that lasts for 10 seconds (or longer if you wish) followed by a hollow body hold for 10 seconds. Some choices might be scissors, regular plank, side planks, situps, vups and more. It is fun to do as a group and the time passes pretty quickly. The more people in the ring, the merrier. :)

Edited by Fiddleman

I was sleeved so I don't have the same issue but Santa Claus bought me the Ab-Carver Pro (think it came from Dicks Sporting Goods) and It is crazy good for the tummy. I think its about 40 bucks and worth every penny

Thanks everyone! Great feedback ;-) I'm going to try a little of everything to see which one works the best. Trial and error!!

Lots of good ideas there! I'm a sleever, so I can't speak much about the port/band thing. I would also add in some kettle bell work, maybe some light deadlifts and captains chairs as well. Wish you the best and good luck!