Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions from a newbie

I'm a week away from being banded. I have been reading around here quite a bit, but I wondered if this is unusual.

I have no pre-op diet. They just told me to practice chewing food really good, give up caffeine, sip as much Water as possible, and eat less carbs / more Protein. I feel like I should be doing more to get ready for this. :P

Also, post-op, I will be on Clear liquids for a very short time (about two days) and then go straight to mushies. Does this seem unusual? The place where I am being banded is very reputable. It's a "Bariatric Center of Excellence" for Blue Cross / Blue Shield. They do a lot of surgeries and they are quite aggressive about recovery, post-op.

Also, TMI-type question (I'm a dork) but do they shave your pubic hair when they do surgery? For some reason I am freaking out about this. I am not a hairball but I don't shave clean either - can't stand the grow-back itch! LOL!

Thanks in advance, for any info.

Syrah;

Every Dr. is different on pre and post diets, ask 5 bandsters and get 5 different diets. Even the doctors within my dr.s office are each different.

They did not shave me anywhere, nor did they ask me to shave anywhere.

Hi Syrah,

I am having surgery March 28 in Des Moines. Where are you in Iowa? My Dr. is Dr. Eibes and he has had me doing the presurgery diet. Not bad though. Pray all goes well for you. Hugs, Deb

I live in Iowa City. My surgery will be in Grinnell (David Kermode). The university hospital here only does Rouen-Y so I am traveling in your direction.

Good luck to you! We will have to compare notes as time goes on.

Syrah

You should make yourself a ticker... Do you know how? That way everybody can see what stage of the process you are at and won't keep asking you the same questions over and over again. They will also send you tips and suggestions because they "remember when" they were at that stage and "X" helped them do something. It is really cool

Pam,

Where/how do you get those tickers on you signature?

Syrah,

Each doc is differnt, they are right. I was on a medifast diet for 1 month prior to surgery. I was allowed 5 medifasts a day and 2 cups of greens with 1/2 cup raw or 1 cup cooked vegtables per night. Wasdn't bad, but it was to shrink the liver for easier retraction. After surgery, i was Clear liquids for 10 days; full liguid for another 8 days then soft foods for 8 days then regular. I am still in the soft foods mostly because you will find that sometimes when you go too fast in advancing tot he next phase, the foods do not agree with you. Like it will feel really uncomfortable. Remember...you DO NOT WANT TO THROW UP!! Better to be more cautious. believe me the time goes fast. The clear liquid is tough because you have no energy. But the full liquid is ice cream, cream Soup, mashed potatoes,etc. I googled each type of diet and got great ideas. The full liquid is also called the puree diet at times butI refuse to puree anything. GROSS!!! I would rather just wait. After all, we need to show a bit of restraint anyway or we'll wind up just as big as before (lol).

Thank you so much!!

I Am One Week Post Opp And I Would Say , If You Dont Go On A Diet Before You Will Find The 2 Week liquid diet Very Hard . I Am Doing Fine Because I Am Use To It . Prepare For Stage 2

I did not have to go on any pre-op diet. Which I got nervous about and wondered if i was supposed to and maybe I misunderstood. But nooope! My surgeon told me the same thing.. To just try to ween myself off the soda, coffee, etc. And most importantly, He told me do NOT gain any more weight or he will cancel the surgery.

I did not put myself on a strict diet... However I did stop drinking soda, coffee, eating junk food..etc. And i didn't gain any weight! I actually lost a few more pounds prior to surgery.

And nope, No shaving.. I don't see why they would have to. I was on my period and had a damn catheter in... ugh! I woke up with it, Didn't even know I had one or was getting one for that matter.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches