Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant Card for kids portions

Check this out.. this is so cool! You can print this card up and take it to restaurants so you can order off of the kids menu. There is also a list of places that already allows adults to order kids size meals.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/RestaurantCard.html

Basically it explains that you've had surgery that olmits your ability to eat a large amount of food, and it requests that you be premitted to order off the children's menu or to order half portions. Of course, it's up to the retaurant whether it will honor the card. One one side of the card is the name & address of the practice * the surgeon & on the other side is the request information.

It's Doggy bags for me too; - I love making 3 meals out of what used to be just " a normal meal".

Plus- I don't have to cook them - just warm it up and throw the container away... beats doing dishes.LOL

Carola

I got one when I had my surgery. I really don't see a need to use it since I don't cook and leftovers are a dream! But I can see it coming in handy at a buffet.

My surgeon gave me a card before the surgery and it says "per doctor's orders". I've tried using it once at a buffet but they just looked at me like "what does that mean". I still do think they understood after explaining it to them several times! Lately I've just been cutting the food in 1/2 as soon as it is served and asking for a doggie bag right away and put the other 1/2 in the container right away so I'm not tempted to eat it. I figure if I don't eat it the next day, my husband or 14 yr old son will eat it.

Be careful ordering off the kids menu, most of that stuff is crap. It's mac n cheese, hot dogs and pizza, nothing really healthy. A few places that have good options, cracker barrel and Olive garden both offer grilled chicken and veggies. But for the most part I ask about lunch portions or senior menus, both usually offer a healthier option in smaller portions. ~Mandy

I was thinking for me it would come in handy at a buffet so I didn't have to pay the full adult price and they don't allow you to eat off of anothers ones plate.

Good point

A banded friend and I went to Sweet Tomatoes last week and we both have cards, we were given them by our doc.

We both paid full price. I'm a little over 50% goal so I'm still fat. There is NO way I'm going to a buffet and telling them I eat a small amount! I just can't do it. LOL Besides, I just feel that this is what they charge for an adult. On some folks they make a little money, on others they lose a little money, that's the whole idea of a buffet. If I don't want to pay full price for a buffet, I'll go somewhere else. They didn't charge me more when I ate more, it doesn't seem right to ask them to charge me less today.

Besides, they still have the same operating costs. They still have to pay the employees the same amount, the building is the same cost, the electricity is the same, etc.

Now, if they would have charged me more before when I ate more then I might feel differently. But they didn't. I don't even keep my card with me.

A banded friend and I went to Sweet Tomatoes last week and we both have cards, we were given them by our doc.

We both paid full price. I'm a little over 50% goal so I'm still fat. There is NO way I'm going to a buffet and telling them I eat a small amount! I just can't do it. LOL Besides, I just feel that this is what they charge for an adult. On some folks they make a little money, on others they lose a little money, that's the whole idea of a buffet. If I don't want to pay full price for a buffet, I'll go somewhere else. They didn't charge me more when I ate more, it doesn't seem right to ask them to charge me less today.

Besides, they still have the same operating costs. They still have to pay the employees the same amount, the building is the same cost, the electricity is the same, etc.

Now, if they would have charged me more before when I ate more then I might feel differently. But they didn't. I don't even keep my card with me.

I don't know about sweet tomatos, but I know that Golden Corral has a take out option and they charge by weight. I go there and they allow me to make a box and then I pay for my food as if it were take out and then I just eat there. Last time we were there my meal cost me $1.75. I had some crab salad and a few steamed shrimp. I know that most buffets do this now, some also offer a single trip to the bar at a reduced cost to anyone that wants that option. ~Mandy

I am very open about my surgery, especially when people start with "Is that all your going to eat" crap.

And when home I will order off regular menu for several reason, One: I agree the kids menu food really isn't good for our kids and not any better for us...Two: Doggie bags help make another meal or two.

But when traveling and Doggie Bags are not practical I pull out my card and use it for possible discounts.

In Vegas a few years ago I went to a Buffet dinner and I asked the cashier, if I could use my card to purchase a ticket at the kids price. She called a manager and after he looked at the card he allowed me to pay the kid price. I felt every surveillance camera was trained on me.....lol JK but it worked out very well.

Next Vegas Visit I tried it again at another Buffet and was told no and the cashier gave me a valid reason. She said that the internet provides a chance people can get these cards for the purpose of reducing the price but eating the large portions. Our waitress who came and got our drink orders and clearing the table of empty dishes had made a comment to me while I was sitting waiting for my son to return. " Your not going up for more". I told her that I had had weight lose surgery and was very content with the small portion I had eaten but I was sure my son would make up what I didn't eat. She opened her book and looked at our tickets she had picked up off the table and said "you should have asked for the Kids price." I said I did but I understood the policy and that I was fine with it and I enjoyed what I was able to eat. A few minutes later one of the floor guys came over and asked me how long I was going to be in Vegas and I told him three more nites. He gave me two free passes for both me and my son for each of the next three nites. We returned for two of the nites because I had to go to the original buffet and support thier Buffet because they allowed me to eat at the Kids Price the year before and this visit also.

I will use my card when ever I can and do not hold any ill will to any rest. that turns it down.

Just a hint for anyone interested. When you go out to eat and your going to take what is left home. Seperate your food and request the doggie bag first. Only leave on your plate what you will eat while there. remove the temptation of over eating while your waiting, after your full, for the doggie bag. I have never had a problem with the wait staff when I request they take the doggie bag away and return it with the bill.

I couldn't use a card.....just cringe at the thought of drawing attention to myself and my eating habits because I'm still big even tho I've lost a lot.

I did try just ordering a cup of hot tea while my family ate from a Chinese buffet recently....won't do that again!!! The waiters and cashier all but pulled guns and stood guard around me watching making sure I didn't pick any food off of my family's plates!! Not a comfortable meal for any of us!

I actually used my card for the first time a couple of weeks ago at IHOP. They have a jr cod dinner that is just a seared piece of cod and steamed broccoli, so I asked the waitress if I could order off the kids menu, and showed her my card. She looked at me kind of funny, but she let me do it. Then at Denny's the other day, they let me order off the senior menu. I am not really comfortable doing it though.

I'm still on full liquids and yesterday we had to eat out. They had beef barley Soup of the day, so I asked if I could just get a cup of the broth from the soup, not all the meat and veggies and barley and she said "no"

What ever!

I'm still on full liquids and yesterday we had to eat out. They had beef barley Soup of the day, so I asked if I could just get a cup of the broth from the soup, not all the meat and veggies and barley and she said "no"

What ever!

What ever happened to these places being a "Service Organization".