Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attending school while losing

Sleeved on 12/23. I was on a break from my doctoral studies. I started back up on the 1st. I am having a hard time getting back in the swing of school. I assume it is residual anesthesia and healing. Did anyone delay school after sleeving? Not sure if I should take a break or knuckle through.

Wow back to school one week later! That is fast. I went back work two weeks later and I work from home. I hard time and really did not start tofeel like myself untli about 3-4 weeks out.

I was sleeved in June the day after the final exam for my 1st summer class & 5 days before my 2nd summer class started. That 2nd class was thankfully one of the few online classes in my grad program, so I knew I wouldn't have to worry about actually driving to school & getting around campus. Sometimes my focus was a little hard to maintain, but since the class was online I could read & study & write when I was feeling up to it. I went back to regular classes when the fall semester started about 8 weeks after surgery.

Thanks. Luckily mine is online too. I just didn't want to lose my momentum. I want to graduate in 2016!

I also had surgery between semesters. Classes ended Dec 21st, I was sleeved the 23rd, and classes resume Jan 21st. I'm so glad I was able to work it out this way! I have the same professor for my on campus course (the other three are online) as last semester, along with some of the same classmates from the fall. It will be interesting to melt away in front of their eyes! LOL

Edited by Thick'n'Thin

Have you thought about taking Theanine? Its quite expensive in its purest form, but boy, does it help with concentration levels. Remarkably so.

It's an Amino Acid and although its present in a lot of 'body building' supplements, it was recommended to me by a herbalist and she was absolutely right on its effects. It clarifies the mind, facilitates concentration (obviously, this will have to be in conjunction with the right Protein, Vitamins and Water levels)

Life saver for me and my ability to concentrate just after surgery.

Best of luck in your Doctorate :)

<p>Have you thought about taking Theanine? Its quite expensive in its purest form, but boy, does it help with concentration levels. Remarkably so. </p> <p> </p> <p>It's an Amino Acid and although its present in a lot of 'body building' supplements, it was recommended to me by a herbalist and she was absolutely right on its effects. It clarifies the mind, facilitates concentration (obviously, this will have to be in conjunction with the right Protein, Vitamins and Water levels)</p> <p> </p> <p>Life saver for me and my ability to concentrate just after surgery. </p> <p> </p> <p>Best of luck in your Doctorate :)</p>

Interesting! It is supposed to help with metabolism as well. I ordered some. Will let you know my results.

Mama,

I found myself not as focused also and attribute it partly to the anesthesia. It takes awhile to get it out of your system. I believe some of it also is tiredness. It is major surgery. I need to have a lot of focus with my current position, and it wasn't there in the beginning. It cleared up by six weeks post-op for me.

I too am back in class and finish next Sunday. I hope to sit for my professional exam in mid-March.

Good luck with your recovery, weight loss journey and doctoral studies. I received my master's in May 2012 and it took me until November 2013 to take another class.

Moma Spike,

Will be very interested in the theanine results, please do update.

I was sleeved on December 17th after finishing exams on the 12th. I am due to go back on January 13th and I am really not quite feeling up to it yet. I am in a Physician's Assistant program and will have 24 credits (8 classes) this semester. I am in a family practice office 1 day a week, a classroom 4 days a week and I work as an ER nurse for 8 hours on the weekends, I need all the help I can get right now. Will let you know how it goes.

Have you thought about taking Theanine? Its quite expensive in its purest form, but boy, does it help with concentration levels. Remarkably so.

It's an Amino Acid and although its present in a lot of 'body building' supplements, it was recommended to me by a herbalist and she was absolutely right on its effects. It clarifies the mind, facilitates concentration (obviously, this will have to be in conjunction with the right Protein, Vitamins and Water levels)

Life saver for me and my ability to concentrate just after surgery.

Best of luck in your Doctorate :)

Madam Reverie,

That's really interesting -- due to a serious complication following, but not as a result of surgery 4 mos. ago, I spent 9 days in ICU and 6 intubated. I have recovered well from surgery but have had a long recuperation from the ICU.

Focus, memory (esp short-term) is still a huge challenge for me. My bariatric GI has me taking thiamine injections monthly, and 2,000 units orally daily.

I, too, have an intense job that requires lots of "thinking." I'm still on a reduced work schedule, but not for long. I will research this. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I need to learn more.

Theanine is a fairly mild nootropic that helps you meet certain cognitive and psychosomatic processing demands. It is not only beneficial in the academics or professional circles, but also in the athletic circles. A little caffeine with theanine will have a good synergetic effect of quiet and clean energy. One popular dose recommendation is 200 mg of theanine to 50 mg of caffeine 1/2 strength of the average 10 oz cup of coffee). Other nootropics that also help with motivation, focus, energy and mental clarity are nooept and phenyleperacetam (banned from most professional sports, so do not take if competing). Both are excellent for enhancing cognitive capabilities. They bring the best out in you, especially if you are not blessed with the gift intrinsically. All are available on Amazon. food for thought.

Edited by Fiddleman

Last year I did decide to go back to school but I also decided on having surgery. My health was a little more important than my studies (only in my opinion) So, I have postponed school until Fall of this year. That way I can give myself enough time to recover, etc.

Edited by A.c. Nelums

Last year I decided to return to school but didn’t know what field.

I also decided to have WLS. In my opinion, my health was a little more important than schooling. AGAIN, MY OPINION. So, please no rude comments about that.

I didn’t know how I would have done dealing with school, work, surgery & recovery. Thank god I waited. I was a mess. I struggled during my recovery. I cried every day afterwards for a couple of weeks, I regretted having surgery, and I couldn’t get in my fluids or Protein. I was very weak and shaky and over all sick. But I do applaud the ones who were able to get back into school right away.

I had my VSG surgery on Tuesday and will be back at school next Tuesday and college itself is pretty flexible. Highest weight was 335, day of surgery 278.5 and three days later I am already at 267.9. I think going to school even at my age (45) is good because it helps keep you motivated while being around younger students!

I am currently working on my undergrad.. Still Undeclared.. And I have yet to be approved for surgery, let alone worry about recovery time. I am on average taking 15 credits every quarter, and have a solid 3.5 GPA.. Staying on track with my grades and my education in general is extremely important to me. But my weight and my potential for W.L.S. is also very important to me.. I did not realize that it took most of you a month and a half to recover... I was only expecting a week or two, simply because its generally a one day sugary appointment. As in you are home the same day of your surgery. If surgery is that "easy", then why would recovery be much different?

Anyway, this gives me a lot to think about. I am definitely curious on seeing if I could wait to do surgery, or time it out perfectly between breaks. (even though I do not have a break that is a month and a half long.)

If I had my way, I would have surgery ASAP, and then continue to attend class as I could, with the negotiation with my teachers. For example, Do all home work, turn it in every week, and show up to classes where tests are being taken, at the very least. If there are days I am feeling particularly better then expected, then go to school. Its really easy for me to commute back and forth. IDK if that would actually work or not.. but it would be cool if it did.