Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon after surgery have u returned to work?

In your own experience, how long after surgery did you return to work?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. In your own experience, how long after surgery did you return to work?

• Same Day
    • The day after
    • 2 days
    • 3 days
    • 4 days
    • 5 days
    • 6 days
    • 1 Week
    • 2 Weeks
    • 3 Weeks
    • 1 month

I have a ton of sick leave built up and have booked 2 1/2 weeks of sick leave after the surgery. Although my job is mainly a "desk job," there are occasions we pack and lift boxes, medium amount of walking around, etc. SO, I am taking the Friday - Tuesday off before surgery (5/16, Wednesday) and then will go back on June 4, Monday. I am looking forward to having some time off and concentrate on exercising and beginning the new way of living.

Will keep you all posted on how this goes!

KYsunshine in Louisville, KY

HI all

I have a date of the 04/20 for now and put in for 6 days of vac.

and I see almost everyone of you have desk jobs

which is cool cause my wife is also having lapband.

and she is a desk Girl. But me I have a lift big heavy stuff stand on feet allday Job. the lifting can wait, we have cranes for that stuff. But the moving around all over the place. I was just wondering if I would be pushing it going back to work after 9 days?

It took me a little under a month due to complications with a hiatal hernia having to be repaired before the band could be placed. I tried to go back after two weeks but the pain around my port was too severe and I was dizzy from being unable to breath deeply after the repair. Everyone is different but I think I was the exception rather than the rule!!lol!!

It took me a little under a month due to complications with a hiatal hernia having to be repaired before the band could be placed. I tried to go back after two weeks but the pain around my port was too severe and I was dizzy from being unable to breath deeply after the repair. Everyone is different but I think I was the exception rather than the rule!!lol!!

:help:Did you have the hernia operation at the same time you had the lap band put on? I am scheduled for Lapband April 16. I have a hernia too. I have been told a couple of things. The herian was discovered during my physical. The doctor said there would be no problem. Some of the material I have read said I will have to stay in the hospital a few days longer. I have also been told that there will be only one stich.

What can you tell me?

Phil

post-217713-13813134818684_thumb.png

I was out for 9 1/2 days. I was only supposed to be out for 7, but I took 2 more off. I probably could have gone back to work sooner, but I just didn't want to.

:help:Did you have the hernia operation at the same time you had the lap band put on? I am scheduled for Lapband April 16. I have a hernia too. I have been told a couple of things. The herian was discovered during my physical. The doctor said there would be no problem. Some of the material I have read said I will have to stay in the hospital a few days longer. I have also been told that there will be only one stich.

What can you tell me?

Phil

Again...

A hernia repair does NOT require additional days in the hospital, it is a SINGLE stitch. Most people who have a hernia repair do not even know they had a hernia let alone a hernia repair. It's ONE stitch, that's all. Nothing more, simple, easy, piece of cake. You even point out that your doc said it is no problem. It isn't! It is not at all uncommon for obese people to have a hiatal hernia, obesity causes hiatal hernias many times.

Where is the link you refer to that says you will require additional "days" of hospitalization due to a single stitch to repair a common hiatal hernia? Even those who are operated on JUST for the hernia are not hospitalized, it is an outpatient procedure.

I will be having surgery on 4/24 and returning on 4/26. Unfortunealty I can't take much time off, but I do have desk job.

My first banding surgery was on a Wednesday and I went back to work on the following Monday. This time I'm set for a Monday surgery, and am planning to go back to work on Thursday. I too have a desk job, and if I'm not feeling up to it I will be able to take Thursday and Friday off, too. But I expect to feel fine. :biggrin1:

Hi,

I just went back to work 9 days post-op and found that my desk is at the same level as my port. I tried adjusting the chair height but not much relief there. My port was really sore by the end of the day and it hadn't been bothering me much prior to that. I'm hoping next week will be better!

I'm planning on taking 2 1/2 weeks off (surgery was 5/16 and returning to work 6/4). I still feel really exhausted, so I'm hoping that I start getting more energy soon. I couldn't possibly have gone back to work after a week or less, because I'm just too sore and tired. However, I am blaming my age for part of it. :)

Keiko-

I too felt very weak, even a shower left me exhausted. I had "brain fog" at work and was just plain tired.

After talking to my doc about it he explained that I wasn't taking in enough calories. Can you imagine that? I had never heard those words before. Maybe you should talk to your doc about your diet and see what's missing, and don't forget the Vitamins.< /p>

Good luck to you.

Keiko-

I too felt very weak, even a shower left me exhausted. I had "brain fog" at work and was just plain tired.

After talking to my doc about it he explained that I wasn't taking in enough calories. Can you imagine that? I had never heard those words before. Maybe you should talk to your doc about your diet and see what's missing, and don't forget the Vitamins.

Good luck to you.

Thanks! I will see the doctor Thursday so I can ask him then. I do forget my Vitamins - it seems I'm so busy trying to remember when I ate last, when I can drink my Water again, etc. that I forget the vitamins. I also have to say that I'm feeling stronger today, so I'm encouraged by that. I just think that this recovery will take a little longer than I'd hoped for.

I talked to my doctor and nutritionist about this 'grazing' thing. And it has always been reccomended by the NIH, ntritionists, doctors and more... that eating 5-6 small meals a day is the healtiest way to eat. It keeps your sugar levels and it is not 'grazing'. Grazing is sitting your butt down on the couch with a bag of chips and dips, then fixing yourself some ice cream. You get the picture...

My docotor just sent my paperwork in, so I know I'm months (and 10% weight loss) away from my surgery date. I have a very stressful, physical job that requires wearing restrictive protective gear. Anybody out there have an idea how I long I might be away from work?

This is a wonderful Site. You are all so wonderful and inspiring.

Good for you! I hope my surgery happens as quickly as yours! My education seminar is May 31!!!!!!!! i am a teacher- I would love to be banded over the summer! Take it one day at a time!:(