Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Found my way back here..

Well it has been quite a few years since I have been here, but I think the time is right.

I was banded in 2008 and got down to 100kgs. Stayed there for about 6 months then just slowly started creeping up again. I would go in for a fill, go back about 6 weeks later, and no difference or an increase in weight. So late last year (2012) I had a hernia that my surgeon had to repair and I said to him this band isn't working. I had also just been diagnosed with Hashimotos disease (thyroid) so he said to me, get your thyroid under control and we can either do a sleeve or a bypass.

Due to being unable to take a lot of time off work for recovery, I chose to have the bypass done and the band removed at the same time. This was done on Tuesday 3rd December. Everything went well with the surgery and it was discovered that the port had completely come away from the band.

The most disheartening moment? Getting on the scales in the hospital!! With all of the fluids from the drip, my weight had gone to 129kgs!

2 weeks Pre op Optifast 125.9kgs

Pre op admission to hospital 120.5kgs

Home from hospital Saturday 7th December 126.8kgs

This morning 116kgs

Tomorrow is my first visit back to the dietician and I see my surgeon in the new year. I was extremely lucky that this surgery was classed as a redo and I did not have to pay my surgeon another $5K.

Sounds like things are looking up. Welcome back!

Just an update -

Everything going well. Current weight is 104.5kg.

Very happy :D

Another update -currently I am 84.5kgs.

Very happy with the way things have gone. Loose skin is not attractive and if I lose another 15kgs I will get something done about it. Hopefully that will be by the end of this year.

Thank you for your posts and updates. Your are an inspiration to me. I had first band in March 2008 and have gone through 2 slips and had RNY on Dec 15, 2014 and now 3 weeks post op and things are going well, just an adjustment as expected.

Great story thanks for sharing. I will be a band to RNY soon too!