Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction 4 days out

Hi all, I had my surgery on Monday. I am on full liquids for 2 weeks. I'm very nervous because when I drink my Soups, Water, tea, etc.... I don't get a full feeling. I only eat a cup at a time, but shouldn't I feel some sort of fullness? I don't get my first fill until 6 weeks. I have a 2 week follow up prior, so I'm thinking maybe the fill should come sooner? Thoughts?

I'd like to tell you that yes you should have a fullness feeling....but I can't do it. Not everyone has swelling after surgery, I was one of those unlucky people too.

You maybe a fast healer which over all is a good thing, I had no swelling and no feelings of fullness or restriction after my surgery. I stuck to the Dr. prescribed plan of liquids only and I ate them slowly and didn't gulp but I was HUNGRY!!!

My husband who was banded 3 days after me thought I was crazy! He had great restriction after surgery and didn't want to think about food. Me I was screaming that I could smell the pizza and hot wings on TV and it was making my mouth water!! I wanted to eat! I had enough of liquids and chocolate and vanilla anything.

I made it through all that, (bandster hell yes it's real for some of us.) I stuck to the diet liquids and then mushes I was never so happy to eat paste like food in my life! Wendy's Chilli in the blender AWESOME!!!!

If you doc says OK to the fill early your lucky...I waited the full 8 weeks before my first fill.

Don't rush it..you need to heal, so don't stress the weight loss right now. Follow Dr.'s orders and you will get past it I promise!!

Hi all, I had my surgery on Monday. I am on full liquids for 2 weeks. I'm very nervous because when I drink my Soups, Water, tea, etc.... I don't get a full feeling. I only eat a cup at a time, but shouldn't I feel some sort of fullness? I don't get my first fill until 6 weeks. I have a 2 week follow up prior, so I'm thinking maybe the fill should come sooner? Thoughts?

No No No No No...you poor thing....right now, you just had the surgery and are getting back in shape - healing, to feel the way you did before you ha the surgery more or less....

In 6 weeks, you get your first fill...it can the first of many, or perhaps the only one you need...some don't need a fill at all....everyone is different....

But it can take months...yes months! Before you get the band properly adjusted,,,it does take time.

There will be many, many lessons to learn along the way...

Just be patient, follow your Dr.'s treatment plan...it will all fall into place eventually....I can say first hand this DOES WORK....but not overnight.

I was very frustrated...no make that ANGRY as can be in the beginning. Then 4-5 months and a few adjustements later, it all started to work like a smooth machine....then it took me a few more months to figure out what was happening...but that's another story.

Hang in there!!

BTW...I GAINED WEIGHT after my first fill, 5 weeks after surgery....4 cc's at that!

Edited by B-52

i didn't have any restriction after surgery. i was able to take all my pills and theres a lot. Fluid was a piece of cake. it really had me wondering. but this is the time for learning. we don't eat until we are full. repeat after me, we don't eat until we are full. we eat a portion of food , it satisfies us keeps us satisfied until our next meal. i am really just learning and practicing this now and i am 6 months out. i wish i did it from the very beginning.

I'm still learning 6 days postop. Day 4-present I am VERY hungry @ 11am and 4-5pm each day. I did have 2 Tbsp of sugar free Jello vanilla pudding and then I felt full. I don't want to keep eating pudding as a food choice. Soups have sodium.

I'm still learning 6 days postop. Day 4-present I am VERY hungry @ 11am and 4-5pm each day. I did have 2 Tbsp of sugar free Jello vanilla pudding and then I felt full. I don't want to keep eating pudding as a food choice. Soups have sodium.

You are very hungry because you are not eating much at all if you are only having 2 Tbsp of Jello. Pudding is not a bad choice if you make the sugar free and fat free pudding. You can get them in any store sugar free and make them with non fat milk. They are a good choice but a Greek yogurt is better.

The Protein will help to keep you fuller and not have so much hunger. Think about spreading out your shakes and pudding or yogurt so you are having something every few hours to start and in between sipping Water.

Coming from 3 meals a day and sometimes one meal was a lot, I have to get used to eating small more often. In the a.m. I have about 4 oz Protein shake and fat free skim milk. Sips of Water an hour after then Protein and milk around 1pm. At 5, the same.

What are the average daily calories 1 week post and 2-3 weeks post op?

Hi Coach,

In the first few weeks your mission is not to worry about calories but to heal and take care of yourself. You just had major surgery.

It's hard to get our heads around the way our bands function in relation to our lives and habits but you will. If you can break up the meals try to separate out the Protein shake and the milk and have them a little bit apart from each other things like that.

Once you are working the band fully you will want to have only three meals a day but right now that is not going to help you with hunger and healing to limit your intake. Your eating very light right now to give the band a chance to seat itself and not be upset as it heals inside.

So you want to eat or rather drink high Protein items (which helps in healing as well) and is the foundation that you are going to build on as you go forward with the band.

Calorie counting won't hurt you, but it's not something you should focus on right now. You can use an app like My Fitness Pal to help you if you want to know what your taking in and get in the habit of tracking.

Your body needs protein and fuel to heal, so if you are in the 1200-1500 range you are right there. Once you have healed and your doctor and nut move you to solid food you should always follow their advice on how many calories to ingest.

Best of luck to you, reach out any time there are lots of people here with excellent advise and support.

Hi BoyMom, no worries you are doing great! You've had the surgery so the band is installed but now you are healing up. Don't worry about your appetite or calories -- just follow your doctor's instructions and you will get to the next step. It will work -- just doesn't happen immediately for most people. Main thing is to listen to your body. Hunger signals are not the enemy anymore -- and when the band is tightened the appetite will diminish. Don't worry, you're going to do beautifully!

way to early for you to be concerned about fills..agree 100000% with B....the first month is to heal.....and def should not be focused on losing weight.....right now it is water/liquid weight and why yes it counts, actual and true weight loss come from eating better and exercising...the band will help with the amount.but now, let your body, heal, rest and get your head in the game.....

congrats on your surgery

Your body just had major surgery. The band needs time to adhere to the stomach. The only thing that anyone should be thinking about after surgery is healing. No counting calories, how much of this, how much of that just let your body heal you will have plenty of time to worry about fills later on. Right now sit back, relax and stay hydrated. That is all you need to worry about right now.

From Day 3-6 I had less than 100 calories a day. I couldn't drink liquids more than Water as I felt I ate a Thanksgiving dinner. Today, Day 7, I had about 5 bites of milk/watered down cream of wheat at 8am. 11am had 1/2 a Jello pudding snack pack sugar free, and around 3pm I had 6 sips of a banana, milk homemade smoothie. About 1/4 cup or less of high Protein shake and I feel no hunger. When I asked the other day about calories, I didn't mean as to restrict or diet to heal :), I just didn't know how long I should be going with less than 100 calories/day.

I immediately thought of issues related to lack of calories but just couldn't "eat" liquids. I'm not even rushing a fill until I feel comfortable and get used to this changing pattern. Still trying to gather the thought process and plan.

My surgeon does the first fill at 3 weeks got the reasons you described. They don't want you to get to a point of hunger, eating, gain or no loss and frustration. So I don't think it would be a bad thing to discuss with your surgeon.

Right now your band is just "installed".

Youre starving & your diet consists of sugar free liquids and mushies....

Any weightloss or gain during this time will depend upon your eating and exercise habits.

This will continue until your adjustments begin.

Restriction, how i wished, isnt right out of surgery anymore as they were ages ago.

Your swelling seems to have subsided a bit early which isnt a bad thing.

Call your doctor office & get a professional opinion about moving your adjustment date to an earlier one and keep us all posted!

Hi y'all

I had my surgery last Friday which would make me 4days post op. I'm starving!!!!! And im SOOO THIRSTY!!!

I do live in Australia and we have been experiencing heat of 40drgrees Celsius.

I can't seem to know if or when I'm satisfied. I'm so confused.

Any help?