Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advantages of bypass

HI, I'm in the process of disiding between bypass and Lap-band

I understand the advantages of lap-band over the bypass, but can't find any information of the advantages that bypass has over lap-band.

But most people that I know did bypass.

Please help.

I am far from expert but my brother had bypass - he weighed about 490lbs and had tons of health problems (diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, clinical depression etc. etc.) and now weighs 195 with all the above health problems gone. I think the advantage for him was he needed very quick intervention and the lapband was never discussed as he had this done over 6 years ago. He doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects from the surgery although he still occassionally overeats and throws up and his weight has stayed stable. Who knows if he would have had the same success and/or as quickly with the lapband.

I think you are wise to search out ALL types of WLS before picking the right one for YOU. Just keep in mind probably 99.9% of folks here have been banded so you may want to broaden your research to other sites, etc. Good luck!

And definitely join the OSSG group on Yahoo groups. They present the "other side" of weight loss surgery. Both banding and bypass/ds/bpd. You don't hear about a lot of negative things on the bigger boards like obesityhelp, etc... It helps to really get both sides of the story. It's one of the reasons I really like it here on LBT, the folks here represent a cross-section of folks who've had the band. People who have had great success with loss, people who have had slow losses, people who have gotten infections, people who have had to have the band removed for various reasons: eroding, slippage, etc...

For me the only things that were positive about Bypass over LapBand were the speed of loss, that the loss doesn't really take hard work at first (of course the negative side of these two things is that it happens because your body is basically being malnourished), and it does have a tendency to keep you a bit more "honest" by making you really uncomfortable/sick if you eat sugars. But I don't really want that kind of discomfort.

The studies now are showing that a few years out the loss is about the same. and you can eat through either the bypass or the band. If I'm going to fail (and I don't plan on it), I don't want to have paid for it with a rerouting of my intestines and risking the possibility of malnutrition. Bypass patients have to take soooo many supplements and Vitamins because they can no longer absorb them from their food that it's crazy.

But that is a personal decision.

HI, I'm in the process of disiding between bypass and Lap-band

I understand the advantages of lap-band over the bypass, but can't find any information of the advantages that bypass has over lap-band.

But most people that I know did bypass.

Please help.

My WLS surgery list these advantages over Lap-band -

Quicker weight loss

absorbs few calories (also can be a disadvantage)

Dumping syndrome (this is also a disadvantage, but most bypass patients like this fact)

There were a few more listed in my book from my doctor, however, I can't remember all of them.

I considered Gastric Bypass too, but DH was so against it, and then I found out about Lap-band and figured this was my answer after much research. I'm so happy I chose lap band

I've spent a lot of time on www.obesityhelp.com. That site is VERY pro-bypass and you'll be able to find all the information you're looking for there. I've found that most people on that site call the bypass surgery RNY.

Yes - the only real advantage is that By-pass is faster and the surgery FORCES you to avoid sugar & I think fatty foods, also.

I didn't care about speed - and I wanted to be ABLE to eat chocolate or fatty foods in moderation - so I went with the band.

I like the band because not only can I eat anything that I want to (in small amts) but I get all the nutrients from the food I do eat and I have no side effects, at all.

Definitely check out other sites if you want to get the pro-By-pass point of view. Most of us here are 100% BAND people - and we all chose this because we were willing to go slower in order to preserve the digestive tract and have the less invasive surgery.

Good Luck!

advantages that bypass has over lap-band.
This has already been answered well. I know people who have had both. Keep in mind since this is a lap-band site, the best most of us can do is tell you anecdotally what the advantages are - not lots of personal experience.

Advantages... four I can think of.

1. You're not held as accountable for what you eat. It's easy to get the lap-band, and not lose weight. It does take comittment and work with the band. It isn't a "hand out".

2. Faster weightloss. I will add the caveat that the bypass patients I know, while initially happy their weightloss was so fast, now state they wish they could go back and trade -- get a slower weightloss, and not have the complications they're now living with.

3. There are some foods you just absolutely cannot eat, and some that you absolutely cannot eat without major pain (dumping). With the band you can eat many, many more foods. If you're someone who does not bypass procedures have... you're forced to not eat many foods. (A good friend if mine is over 2 years post op and can eat pepperoni, Peanut Butter, sunflower seeds, cottage cheese, and real eggs over hard. She cannot tolerate any other foods).

4. Little follow-up. With the band you do have to go in for follow ups (fills) in order for it to work properly. Fills continue for as long as you need them. With the bypass it's more of a one-shot thing. So while you'd better REALLY hope it works b/c you're SOL if it doesn't, you don't have to go in X number of times trying to hit your sweet spot.

I will add too... with the bypass you lose weight quick........ my 2 best real life girl friends have both had the RNY... One OPEN (4 years post op) and one LAP (2 years post op) Both lost around 120 lbs in the first year.... One now has gained a significant amount of weight back because she NEVER suffered from Dumping and could eat anything without suffering, but because of this her pouch is stretched back out and she is to the point of depression where she will not disclose exactly how much she has gained back...... she is now wishing that she could get the band around her newly stretched out pouch......... my other friend just had a Tummy Tuck and a boob lift and is doing fine. Both have that "look" that bypass patients often get because of the lack of nutrients.....

I will say that both my friends are glad they had it done. Even the one who has gained... she is still significantly down from her top weight, but it is now a struggle to lose since her pouch is stretched back out.