Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People Are Rude

Hubby wanted Subway for dinner today so I agreed that sounded pretty good. We eat out maybe twice a month and very seldom is it fast food. Anyhow DH was still deciding what he wanted so I went ahead and ordered a 6 inch sub. I knew there was no way I could eat a foot long in one sitting and it would get soggy. Trust me it happened to me in the past. (My eyes were bigger than my pouch.) Well the young girl (slender) who took my order asked me 3 times if I was sure I only wanted the 6 inch sub. I replied 3 times "Yes I want the 6 inch sub." After that she asked one more time and I finally said "Yes that is all I can eat." She looked at me dumbfounded and then made my sub. When I got home I only ate 3inches and saved the rest for later. Why do people presume that large people eat alot? Even before my band I didn't eat huge portions, just the wrong things. People are rude.

People certainly are.

I'm a snot sometimes, I'd have probably told her to go ahead and make a footlong, but save the other half for herself because she looked like she needed a good meal.

Goodonya for speaking up and saying that you can't eat that much. I can't believe the gall of some people.

Good for you for speaking up!! When are people going to realize that everyone is not all the same?

Isn't it amazing you can't win for losing. If you had ordered a 12 inch she would have given you the "My God you eat that much!" look." You order a 6 inch and you get the "are you sure that's enough!" comment.

I used to work with a gal who was very small 5'4" 110 lbs. Never had a weight problem or a health issue. Everytime I would have a conversation with her she would "eye ball" me up and down with this discusting puckered look on her face. If we talk she always always turns the conversation to diet. It really used to piss me off!! Now I can't wait until I can go back there and be thin and be able to look her up and down...LOL. Not that I will do that. But you never know I just might!!

I have a good response for people when they ask a rude question....

"Why do you ask?"

It's puts them in a terribly awkward position of having to explain, out loud, why they asked such a rude/personal/nosey question in the first place. Usually, they just nervously smile and say "uh, uh.... well..." and then change the subject. And they don't like it! (good!)

I am mom (adpotive) to 2 little ones- one is asian and the other is hispanic. People ask me all the time "are the yours?" and I respond "why do you ask?" .

Try it!

The thing I am experiencing now that irritates me is when asking for a to-go box when eating out. Inevitably, I get a look from the server that says, "The fat girl needs a box, give me a break". It just burns me when they assume because I am heavy that I should be eating the whole meal. I never tell them why I can't because I figure it's none of their business. I also hate having to explain that the foods just fine, there is nothing wrong with it, etc. over and over and over again. I seem to get asked that all the time when the server sees that I haven't ate much. Yep, it was horrible that's why I'm asking for a to-go box. Geez! :doh:

GOOD for you speaking up! I just went through this recently at a restuarant with water..kinda the same thing. I caved and took the darn Water after saying no 4 times. SO I will draw some strength from you! :)

I ask for to-go boxes when I order. "I want xyz and a box, because I know I'll need it." WHen I do get the box after I've eaten, I most commonly see concern that the meal wasn't OK... "Oh, you hardly ate anything, was it all right? Do you want something else instead?"

I wouldn't have to deal with being asked something 4 or 5 times because after time #2 it becomes a matter of - am I not answering the right question, or are you just not understanding my answer?

You guys are much nicer than I am.

I have the same problem as Denise and Wheetsin. There have even been times when the wait staff have sent the manager over because they are "concerned" there was something wrong with my meal because I did not eat very much. I also never order anything to drink when we go out and the wait staff seem to have a real issue with that as well.

I have a good response for people when they ask a rude question....

"Why do you ask?"

It's puts them in a terribly awkward position of having to explain, out loud, why they asked such a rude/personal/nosey question in the first place. Usually, they just nervously smile and say "uh, uh.... well..." and then change the subject. And they don't like it! (good!)

I am mom (adpotive) to 2 little ones- one is asian and the other is hispanic. People ask me all the time "are the yours?" and I respond "why do you ask?" .

Try it!

I love it! I'll definitely be using it!! It puts them FIRMLY in their place without being rude back. LOVE IT!

This is not said to offend anyone----

When DH and I go out, if we get one of those waiters/waitresses who are at the table non stop checking to see if they can get me anything, if the food is fine, did I need drink? On and on and on---we now refer to them as "Jehovah Waitresses". They keep coming back, and refuse to take no for an answer!!!!

It makes us laugh a bit as we repeat NO!!!!

Kat

I have got to the point that I order a Water to drink when we go out and dh usually drinks it. I got so tired of being asked a dozen times if I was sure I didn't want anything to drink. If I wanted it, I would have ordered it.

Maybe we all need to order a Water and throw it at the waiter/waitress when they are annoying us. LOL! Thanks for all the responses, I am so glad I'm not in this alone!

Hubby wanted Subway for dinner today so I agreed that sounded pretty good. We eat out maybe twice a month and very seldom is it fast food. Anyhow DH was still deciding what he wanted so I went ahead and ordered a 6 inch sub. I knew there was no way I could eat a foot long in one sitting and it would get soggy. Trust me it happened to me in the past. (My eyes were bigger than my pouch.) Well the young girl (slender) who took my order asked me 3 times if I was sure I only wanted the 6 inch sub. I replied 3 times "Yes I want the 6 inch sub." After that she asked one more time and I finally said "Yes that is all I can eat." She looked at me dumbfounded and then made my sub. When I got home I only ate 3inches and saved the rest for later. Why do people presume that large people eat alot? Even before my band I didn't eat huge portions, just the wrong things. People are rude.

Well, in my case, as in many...as a Large person - I DID eat alot! hehehe :(

I love the 'why do you ask' - it shuts up many a moron.