Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband in the DC Area

Hello BJ,

Did you have to lose any weight before your surgery? I guess every doctor is different because they wanted me to get a Physc evaluation which was $150, dietician was $15 co-pay, cardiologist $15.00 co-pay and sleep study $15 and then I'm done. However, I need to lose 30lbs before my surgery date.

Pamela

I did not have to lose any weight before surgery. I had to do a liquid diet ONLY the day before surgery. My doc required no psych eval, no sleep study and no cardiologist consult. I have never had any sleep apnea symptoms, though. I also have no heart isues. My only co-morbidity was reflux. Incidentally, although I had HORRIBLE reflux prior to surgery (Daily, had to elevate my bed) I have not had any symptoms even ONCE since my surgery.

My required tests were : EKG, blood work, arterial blood gasses, upper GI, and chest X-Ray. I would have needed a gallbladder scan if I had a gallbladder. Mine was removed many moons ago, so I did not need that done.

BJ :)

BJ,

That is wonderful, I'am going through hell and back and this doctor is asking for a lot. Well, what hospital did you go to again Inova? Did you have any complications after your surgery at all?

Pamela

BJ,

That is wonderful, I'am going through hell and back and this doctor is asking for a lot. Well, what hospital did you go to again Inova? Did you have any complications after your surgery at all?

Pamela

Pamela,

I have had absolutely no complications. (Thank God!) Well, unless you want to count the anesthesia making me want to vomit.....but, Dr. Tran prescribed something before I could blink.

I did have my surgery at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax. My docs have recently moved their office to Woodbridge, however. They still do surgery out of either Inova or Potomac Hospital in Woodbridge. I guess you could choose. I have never been to Potomac Hospital, so I can't comment on it. I know that Inova was great. Everyone was friendly and competent.

Dr. Tran and Dr. Halmi were (are) both great. :gossip:

Their office number is: 703-878-7610, if anybody wants to give them a try. They don't make you jump through hoops.

BJ,

When I go back to my Doctor at the end of the month and if he tells me I need to lose the 30lbs before surgery I will call Dr. Tran & Dr. Halmi, I mean that:mad: . A couple of my girlfriends that had the Gastric Bypass had to lose weight before they could get the surgery but how crazy is that.

I just don't want to travel so far to get fills but If I gotta do it, I will. I wonder how far is Inova from Arlington, VA because I work on Wilson Blvd?

Thanks for the information BJ I will let you know but in the mean time do you feel hungry at all?:hungry:

BJ,

When I go back to my Doctor at the end of the month and if he tells me I need to lose the 30lbs before surgery I will call Dr. Tran & Dr. Halmi, I mean that:mad: . A couple of my girlfriends that had the Gastric Bypass had to lose weight before they could get the surgery but how crazy is that.

I just don't want to travel so far to get fills but If I gotta do it, I will. I wonder how far is Inova from Arlington, VA because I work on Wilson Blvd?

Thanks for the information BJ I will let you know but in the mean time do you feel hungry at all?:hungry:

I am almost always hungry! It's so hard. I now know why it's called "Bandster Hell". It's the horrific time between surgery and your first fill. I understand the concept of needing to heal before Fluid is added to the band. I'm not arguing, but it does suck! I try to only eat what I'm supposed to, in the amounts I'm supposed to. I have done pretty well. It's torture some days. But, I don't want to do any damage, and want to heal well. So, I am following the rules. (Damn rules!)

I don't know the distance for you. :guess I am all the way down in Waldorf, MD......so, I have to schedule practically an entire day to devote to going up for an appt., and coming back. It sounds like you're pretty darn close, though!

Some docs want patients to lose weight pre-surgery so they can "prove" they are capable of sticking to a plan. (How stupid. If we could stick to it, we wouldn't be in need of surgery, would we???) Others want patients to lose weight as it makes the liver shrink. Some patients have huge livers, which get in the way during surgery.

WoW, give it some time but when you get your first fill maybe you'll start to feel full. At my doctor's office the doctor nurse assistant told me that one lady got the lapband and her first office visist to get the fill she dropped over 55lbs, I said "I cannot believe that". 55lbs within a month or so, she could not be eating at all.

It looks like you are doing great you have lost some weight just keep up the good work and you will be down in no time. When is your next fill with the doctor's?:clap2:

pamela

WoW, give it some time but when you get your first fill maybe you'll start to feel full. At my doctor's office the doctor nurse assistant told me that one lady got the lapband and her first office visist to get the fill she dropped over 55lbs, I said "I cannot believe that". 55lbs within a month or so, she could not be eating at all.

It looks like you are doing great you have lost some weight just keep up the good work and you will be down in no time. When is your next fill with the doctor's?:clap2:

pamela

I appreciate that! I have an appointment on Friday. It's a follow up - 6 weeks. The docs prefer to wait 8 weeks before giving a first fill, but I am gonna beg for one on Friday. Otherwise, I'm gonna kil and eat the first cow I see. If I could just lose 10 pounds a month or so, I'd be thrilled. I don't want it to come off all at once. I don't think it's good for you, and also contributes to all that saggy, droopy skin. I want my skin to be able to adapt to the new me.

Yeah, I agree. If you lose quickly you will have to go to the doctors get that excess skin taken off. Oh! Do your band hurt or is it called the portal the one that is near your stomach?

Please let me know how your office visit went on Friday too.

Yeah, I agree. If you lose quickly you will have to go to the doctors get that excess skin taken off. Oh! Do your band hurt or is it called the portal the one that is near your stomach?

Please let me know how your office visit went on Friday too.

I can't tell the band is there at all. I can definitely feel where the port is - but it doesn't hurt. I can't see it, but I can feel it. (Not when I move, though. I mean that I can feel it with my hand)

I promise to keep you posted on my Friday doc visit.

Hello everyone,

I live in the DC & MD area, has anyone out there had the lapband surgery here. If so can you recommend a good Doctor. I have done some research on a couple of doctors and I would like to know if anyone have tried Dr. Marc Rickford at Providence Hospital. If so please let me know. Thanks:help:

Hi Pamela! I live in SoMD (Lexington Park - 30-45 mins south of Waldorf)). I go to Dr. Halmi in Woodbridge, VA. I know it's a little bit of a drive, but understand that Halmi and Tran are great surgeons. I had my very first consultation on Monday, 4/30. I am just waiting for my insurance (Carefirst/BCBS) to approve me. Dr. Halmi was nice and knowledgeable. His staff was very nice to me, too. I am so excited! I called the office to ask about the pre-op diet, but there isn't one aside from the night before. And this is the standard w/any surgery.

P.S.--The drive isn't that bad at all.

Hello Chimboree26,

I haven't had the lapband surgery as of yet. Far as I know you need to do a pre-op diet to shrink your liver. Dr. Rickford in DC told me I would have to do a pre-op diet for one week so you are good; just for oneday WoW.

I spoke with BJ yesterday and she goes to Dr. Halmi & Dr. Tran, she loves them also. BJ has BCBS and so do I but I think every doctor has its own requirements. Dr. Rickford ask for a lot, talking to BJ you are going to Love them, you are in good hands.

BCBS is fast so you should be getting banded very soon, please keep me informed. Let us know how your doing.

Oh! I live in Suitland, MD not to far from you around a 30 minute drive.

Pamela

Yay! Another Halmi/Tran patient. Do you think we should all be asking for referral fees from our docs when we recommend them? :target: :rolleyes

My 6 week follow up is Friday. Please keep your fingers crossed that they give me a fill, and don't make me wait until 8 weeks post-op.

Pamela is just in Suitland!!?! We are gonna have to get all of us locals together for dinner and beverages soon!

BJ :clap2:

:Banane43: I just go insurance approval for my surgery, I am going thorough Dr. Afram's office at George Washington in D.C. Anybody know anything about him? I think my doctor is going to be Dr. Mozzawe(not spelled correctly).

Teacherchick,

I thought that Dr. Afram only did gastric bypass. When I went for my mandatory pre-of seminar at GW, Dr. Afram's patients were having gastric bypass and the only patients having lapband were with Dr. Brody. I could be wrong, but you might want to check on that. Dr. Brody is who did my surgery and he's great. I got the band on 4/30 (I'm a newbie). If you do have Dr. Afram, I have heard that he too it wonderful. Good luck!

Tina