Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello AZ banders!

JulieSlu,

It all makes perfect sense to me. I'm not as much worried about my surgery as how I will be able to handle all of the changes afterwards. I think for me the hardest part is dealing with the mental struggle, not the physical one.

Less than two weeks to go! I start pre-op diet tomorrow.

One thing that is helping me is a workbook that others are going through on a different board. It is "Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life". I would recommend it. Slow going at first, but it is good.

I hope you are all okay. I had a bad day yesterday Wondering what the heck did I do! I even had bouts of get this thing out of me and I want to eat normal! Had a good cry and my hubby gave me hugs and I have moved on.

Today is my first day back at work 8 days post-op. I had an easier time getting out of bed this morning and I feel pretty good. Boy what a day makes!

Well I just wanted to check in and say hello and I hope all of you are doing well today.

Ultrasound guidance is by far the safest way to go these days. At WLIAZ the doctor uses it and it always goes smoothly and quickly. I think that you should talk to the doctors there.

I might be interested in going to one of your lunches. Could you send me an e-mail when you go?

We are having on Sunday 1/27/08. If you would like to go you are more than welcome, the more the better!!!! If you want to join us feel free to send me a PM with an email address and I'll add you to our list.

It will be Sunday 1/27/08 at 1PM. Location will either be Sweet Tomatoes on I17/Dunlap or Black Bear Diner on 61st Ave/Bell. I'm voting for BBD! Mmmmmmmm

Ultrasound guidance is by far the safest way to go these days. At WLIAZ the doctor uses it and it always goes smoothly and quickly. I think that you should talk to the doctors there.

Actually, fluoro is better. It shows everything from pouch size/shape, esophagus size/shape, band placement, stoma swelling, stoma size, etc. You can see the barium as it travels through the esophagus all the way to the colon if need be, ultra sound cannot do that.

Some docs have ultra sound equipment in their office because it would just be farrrr too expensive to have xray for barium swallows. That is more for hospital use vs. MD office however some offices do spend the money and go the xray route.

Usually ultra sound is so they can find the port, it doesn't show the detail of barium studies.

Actually, fluoro is better. It shows everything from pouch size/shape, esophagus size/shape, band placement, stoma swelling, stoma size, etc. You can see the barium as it travels through the esophagus all the way to the colon if need be, ultra sound cannot do that.

Some docs have ultra sound equipment in their office because it would just be farrrr too expensive to have xray for barium swallows. That is more for hospital use vs. MD office however some offices do spend the money and go the xray route.

Usually ultra sound is so they can find the port, it doesn't show the detail of barium studies.

You’re right that fluoroscopy can be necessary to diagnose some complications of the band such as leaks or a port flip. Fluoroscopy is also helpful for someone learning to do lap band fills. However, it makes no sense to use fluoroscopy for routine fills. There is no need to expose the patient or the medical staff to radiation unless it’s necessary.

Having ultrasound is helpful in routine fills because it’s quick and safe. If a suspected complication can’t be seen with an endoscope test or other means, then fluoroscopy is useful.

Thanks for your comment.

You’re right that fluoroscopy can be necessary to diagnose some complications of the band such as leaks or a port flip. Fluoroscopy is also helpful for someone learning to do lap band fills. However, it makes no sense to use fluoroscopy for routine fills. There is no need to expose the patient or the medical staff to radiation unless it’s necessary.

Having ultrasound is helpful in routine fills because it’s quick and safe. If a suspected complication can’t be seen with an endoscope test or other means, then fluoroscopy is useful.

Thanks for your comment.

We disagree.

The reason most doctors do not use fluoro is because the equipment is expensive, ultrasound is cheap in comparison.

Any clue how many people don't know they have a problem with a dilated pouch or other such issues until it is discovered on fluoro? Lots. It's a great check up and the radiation is exceedingly limited. Better fills are given with fluoro and especially newbies that don't know what feeling they are supposed to have with a good fill. Since better fills are given, fewer of them are needed.

BTW, I'm still not happy with you for your deception to me when you tried to make me think you were a patient looking for a band and asked to join our bandster lunches. Then when I believed you and forwarded you the email you thanked me for the list of email addresses. That was amazingly tacky and unprofessional on your part.

wow, some people never seem to amaze me. wasa you find them all don't you? Lol! So I have a question on flouro. My last fill I asked if it was available and I was told I didn't need it unless something was wrong. I still want it done for my own sanity to KNOW that nothing is wrong. Do you know where I can have it done? Maybe a trip to TJ??

wow, some people never seem to amaze me. wasa you find them all don't you? Lol! So I have a question on flouro. My last fill I asked if it was available and I was told I didn't need it unless something was wrong. I still want it done for my own sanity to KNOW that nothing is wrong. Do you know where I can have it done? Maybe a trip to TJ??

The two affordable places I am aware of are:

Berger in Flagstaff: $200

Aceves in Mexicali: $75

You can go with us if you wish, it is a whole lot closer than TJ. About half the distance and we have fun. ;o) We go as a group. He used to charge an extra $100 for folks he did not band but I believe he has seen the error of his ways. Heh... He's agreed to see AZ and CA folks at the same rate as his patients. He doesn't charge anything, the hospital charges $75 for the radiology equipment and radiologist. Although a radiologist is there running the equipment (Mexican law) the surgeon is doing the fills and check ups w/fluoro.

I don't blame you for wanting fluoro. It's comforting to know everything is as it should be.

And with Clay... I didn't find him, that time he found me! :frown: He PMed me asking if he could join our lunches. I said sure, all banded and pre-banded folks are welcome. Then I forwarded him the lunch email and he actually thanked me for the LIST! Grrrr... now I send them out as BCCs. No more lists of email addresses, just the date, time, and location of the lunch.< /p>