Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello AZ banders!

Hi everyone! :wave:

I'm glad to see some folks in AZ.

I attended a seminar with Dr. Michael Orris at WLIAZ in Tempe on Feb 7th, gone through all my goals and my surgery is scheduled for next Monday, March 19th. It's gone super-fast, but I'm excited and a little nervous.

I am on the pre-op 2 week liquid diet right now. It's tough but I'm proud to say I have not cheated.:) I've lost 12lbs so far and can't wait to lose more.

The support on this site is tremendous. Thank you everyone.

Hi from AZ, good luck with your surgery. I just had mine five days ago with Dr Robin Blackstone in Scottsdale. She was great. Expect it to hurt. I didn't and I was blindsided by the pain, and stayed in the hospital for a day and a half. If you have any questions let me know.

Ohhhhhh! AZ people. We really are the best of the best. LOL

I was banded in Mexico but Dr. Debarros and Orris are the guys I plan on going to for follow up. They are pretty fantastic. Had I known about them before I had my surgery, I would have likely had them do it to begin with. Dr. Terry Simpson is the one most likely to get cash pay patients but Drs. D and O are actually better AND a special perk is that they are cheaper than Simpson.

You aren't making a mistake by going to them.

BTW, they are two of the verrrry few docs that aren't greedy enough to decline to see Mexican banded patients. They are rare in more ways than one. From what I hear they have a great program.

Just so everyone knows, we have an AZ bandsters lunch every now and again. We all meet at Sweet Tomatoes off of I17 near Metro Center. If anyone wants to join us please send me your email address via PM and I'll let you know when we are going to meet next. I usually send out an email with about 3 dates available and see what most folks want. We are pretty small and want to keep it small and cozy, but we welcome everyone.

We don't have formal speakers and such, we just meet for lunch and mostly laugh the whole way through lunch and annoy those around us. LOL So far we are about 10 people big.

Hi all,

I am a new AZonie Bander. Dr Orris did mine on April 3rd, so today is my day 3 after. Having difficulty with the regurge and the pain in my esphogus when I do swallow things. Hoping it settles down. De Orris said it should take 5 days. maybe.

Hi Everyone. I jut found this sight today-- how wonderful! I don't know anyone personally who's gone through this and I'm happy to have found a support network!

I went to the seminars for both Dr. Simpson and WLIA and have decided to go with WLIA. They are more expensive (I'm cash pay!) but I certainly felt more comforatable with them. I had my first appointment yesterday. I was positive for the H. Pylori. :) Now I have to take the antibiotics for four weeks and make sure the stuff is out of my system. I have chest x-ray, ultrasound, and psych consult set for April 24. Hopefully, surgery in May.

AZPete, Linday.... it's been a few weeks since your bandings. How are you doing today?

HI SElaine,

Im glad you looked into both areas for banding. I wrote this earlier this morning in another thread and thought I'd attach it to this thread as a response to your posting.

I was banded in 2006 with Dr. Simpson in Phoenix. Im a self paying patient. My procedure cost 16500 plus office/doc fees of about 1150. I also had to get a psychological analysis with another doctor; my insurance paid that after my co pay of 15.00. I went through blood tests and paid about 37,00 and was on my way. Dr. Simpson requires pre op and post op meetings. I have to admit, I dont think I got the best support from Dr. Simpson's as many have said they have from other doctors.

The day of my surgery was pretty much just that. "Her surgery". I was banded, he woke me up, and said "Good Job, you're fine" and I never saw him again until my post op appt. in which he just smiled and said, "good progress. You think you need a fill?"

A great thing about him is he's got a great sense of humor, a wonderful staff, a great forum, good follow up group sessions, and responds quickly and extensively to emails.

Would i recommend him? No. Look around and research.

Would i recommend him? No. Look around and research.

I agree with you to keep looking.

I had a choice between using my insurance in Phx or cash in Mexico. It was totally depending on the doc at that point. I ruled out Simpson because I heard so many negatives. Not that he isn't safe, he is. But he's more into himself, free advertising via news stations interviewing him, boasting about being a leading bariatric surgeon (according to whom for goodness sakes?), his books (a cool way to get others to pay for his advertising), the lack of personal follow up. So many people say that after surgery they never see him again. It is his NP or nothing.

After reading so many people say the same things it just seems like he runs people in and out like one herds cattle.

I opted for Mexico with a doc that trains US physicians and I don't regret it a bit. $7800 in and out the door.

...and that is exciting to me. Incisions still pinch and sting. Had 1st day back to work today. Exhasting! Other than that, I feel great and am still excited about my decision. Having a bit of a struggle find new places to give myself the needle. Well at least I cant feel a thing. Be prepared to stay overnight in hospital. I had to and was not prepared. Oh well, the staff was great!

AZPete, Linday.... it's been a few weeks since your bandings. How are you doing today?

Life is great. No fill yet, not until May 10th. I have taken total control of myself. I follow the 30/20/30 rule with every meal. Only eat the best foods, low carbs, nothing to drink other than Water. I haven't had a "drink" since the week before surgery. I run and yes I do mean run every day, one mile running and one mile walking. I love it. I have lost around 45lbs. since the day of the surgery. No preop diet. My self image has done a 360 and I started looking at myself in the mirror again. Best thing I have ever done. I paid cash for this, so I treat it like a serious investment, and work very hard at it. I feel like I finally eat to live, not live to eat.

Well, I need a fillllllllllllll..... I just need to get down to Phx and fly to San Diego and I just don't have time. Life just gets in my way. My last fill was Oct 05. I still have restriction but I can eat a lot before I feel it. I just need to bite the bullet and go get the darn fill and fly there! (I am a self pay from Mexico and it costs too much for me here and I won't do anything but flouro).

Greetings to the new AZ bandsters.

I used WLIA & loved them. I had surgery on 040207 & I feel greta. I get my 1st fill on 050907.

I just got my first fill last Thursday and what a difference! :biggrin1:

Who was your primary doc? Orris or DeBarros?

Hello to everyone! I had surgery in October 06 w/Dr. Simpson. I really like him and his staff. For those of you who want other options, there is exciting news...AIGB which is in Texas now is expanding to the Scottsdale area. Watch for the advertising as the seminars should start the end of the month. :Banane43:

Hello everyone!

I have a date! I will be banded on May 21. My doctor is Dr. DeBarros at WLIA. I have my pre-op appointment and start pre-op diet this Wednesday, May 9. Thanks for all of the support; I'm nervous and going to need it.

JulieSlu, how are you doing? Do you feel you have adjusted? Has it been difficult making changes?

Good morning SElaine! Some changes have been harder than others. I know that for me the weight is coming off fairly easily. What is harder is getting my head to adjust to it. I knew going in that I would have to be determinded to get the weight off, and I am. I guess I just did not know that I would need some adjustments in my head.

I know this may not make sense, but I have had a relationship with being fat most of my adult life. It insulated me and kept others away. I am taking down that barrier and now have to adjust my thinking about myself and how I see myself. I would have the surgery and do it all over again in a second. I am a stronger and healthier person, emotionally and physically, in a second.