Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i can't really eat at all? is this supposed to hurt so much?

hi there y'all. first, have been lurking on here for months, and want to thank you all for so much infomation!! you guys inspire me!

here's my pathetic situation. was banded mid-january. had my first fill 1.2 cc five weeks after surgery then went back last week and she upped me to 1.5 cc. and now (well really even back at 1.2 to be honest) i'm having real problems, which is that i'm hungry all the time basically but i can't eat because it hurts too much. i eat and chew and swallow and then like 2-5 minutes later, bam. it's just painful. have pb, slimed the whole nine yards. i miss eating food!? but i don't understand why this is happening to me and the only food i've really been able to get down with no issue is ice cream (i know i know....) but everything i want to eat hurts, and i must be seriously psycho b.c. i keep trying to eat things that will end up causing so much discomfort?! are you guys able to eat without pain? do you chew your food the point of liquifying it??! (gross, sorry) do you stop eating because you are "full" or becuase you jsut get pain? my dr. was like, " if you feel pressure in your chest, that means it's time to stop eating."--but that's like after 3 bites??? this is so frustrating???? i know this must get easier because i know you all seem so satisfied with the band, so it must be me. but again, its only 1.5. cc and i'm talking i can't pb the Protein shake this morning, (well it was strawberry and kinda gross so that might not have helped?!)

any advice would be amazing!!

thanks,

rachel

p.s. how do you know if you need an unfill? i don't want an unfill becuase i'm afraid if i'm hungry now all the time, with less restriction i'll be ravenous and eat terribly. UGH!!!

Sometimes in the beginning with tight restriction, 3 bites is your full. If that is too tight for you to handle, then it is time to see your Dr, for a slight unfill. I have heard many say on here, they like that TIGHT restricton because it works for them, the weight falls off. When I first got my 2nd fill, I was very tight, and 3-6 bites was my limit. But I never forced beyond that. My only PB's (2 of them) have not been an overeating situation, they were not thinking situations, and I didn't chew well enough.

As for the chewing to liquid----yep that is how the band prefers it! I am surprised you didn't get that pounded into your brain pre-banding!!! Chew to goo. When you think you have chewed it well enough chew it some more. It is kinda gross with some things. You are forced to really taste some things, and they aren't as great as you think they are.

How are you identifying your "hunger"? Is your stomach growling and churning, or do you just "feel" hungry? There is a real difference.

It is not always easy with the band, but it should not always be painful either. Sounds to me like it is time to sit down with your band Dr., discuss how you should be eating, amounts, and HOW to eat. Then together decide if an unfill is in order.

I hope you get some answers, it sure doesn't sound like you are having much fun on this weight loss adventure!!!

Welcome to LBT, I hope you get some answers soon!

Kat

I can totally appreciate what you are saying. I had my 2nd fill last week. WOW what a difference it made. I can barely eat at all now. I am not hungry. I miss eating food. I know thats a big issue I am dealing with. My biggest concern is I am not getting enough of the right foods. I am basically living off of blended Soups right now. Blended soups and pudding are my friends!! I am excited because I finally feel I am on the right track with everyone else. I am sick of slimming though! I will learn over time, everyone has! Good luck and God Bless The New Me!

If you are in pain when you eat you need to get in to see your surgeon. Especially if you are throwing up a lot. That increases the chances of your band slipping. If you were my patient I'd have to go on clears for 48 hours and then try some mushies and see how you feel.

You should be able to eat solids foods without discomfort.

e

p.s. how do you know if you need an unfill? i don't want an unfill becuase i'm afraid if i'm hungry now all the time, with less restriction i'll be ravenous and eat terribly. UGH!!!

I think this is a common feeling, if a little restriction is good, a lot must be better. But I've learned, and so has my DH for that matter, it doesn't work like that. Being too tight makes it hard to eat foods that will indeed keep you full longer. liquids go through the band quickly, leaving you feeling hungry sooner. Solid Protein and veggies don't, so you feel full longer.

I personally would go to your doctor, and talk about getting an unfill. Eating shouldn't hurt.

Thank you all for such good advice! I am getting banded in two weeks and feel that with all the information on this website I am better prepared than people who have not found this site. CHEW TO GOO! I will remember that forever. It helped me to see that some of you had months of mushie food, I won't think it strange if I end up that way also. A whole new way of eating and dealing with food, after years of food abuse or eating until stuffed will be interesting to see how this works. What I have picked up on is that everyone is different in what they think is tight or the sweet spot but our goals are all the same- healthy living!

rachel

the same thing is happening to me!!!!!!!!!

i have not gotten a fill yet, just the band.

i did have a sip test in nov to see if something has moved, but they said every thing is ok nothing has moved.

i think i will be having another sip test soon

it is getting harder to eat with out pain

and it is pain, not pressure

there are only a few things i can eat now with out the pain, liquid and some mushies

some days are worse than others

the other morning i ground up a ham steak in a chopper (very small)then added apple sause, i did 1 1/2 spoons ful and the pain was enough to stop me

i was able to keep it in, but i kicked a few things intill pain stoppped and it passed thru

not sure why, if i haven't had a fill and everything is in right place

deb