Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

I am still in the process of getting approved for my band. Still have a lot of questions.

Has anyone had their gallbladder out and if so does the band surgery feel a lot like that. I remember all the gas pain in my neck and shoulder and feeling a horse had kicked me in the stomach. But this was not something I could not get thru. After about two weeks I was back to normal.

:huh2::Banane27::glare::Banane27::glare::Banane27:

Finally got my acceptance letter from Dr. Choban's office yesterday!!!! Yea!! One step closer to hopefully reclaiming my life! Now I guess they will get my 300 dollars this week,and then be calling me for an appointment? I wonder how many clearances you have to go through...Does it depend on each individual? Did you all decide the band was the surgery you wanted,or does the surgeon suggest which surgery would be best for you? My sister had the rueny <sp>several years ago,and has had lots of problems including a revision after the pouch stretched out from overeating...Just don't think that is the route for me. Also,somewhere on this forum somebody suggested a book concerning the food intake after surgery-anyone know what the name of that book is without me going back through all the pages to find it???? Then someone mentioned hair falling out;does that happen with everyone? I already have thin,fine hair!!! My mind is racing!!! I am excited,and scared,but moving on... Thanks in advance from whatever help you can give me!!!!

Joyce

Hey Special K,

I thought I would say hi. It's been so long since I have been on the site. 83 lbs is great, I think you were close to 70 the last time I saw you. I keep going back and fourth between 37 and 40 lbs. Dr. Miller said it's good that I'm losing slow since I had less than a 100 lbs. However, sometimes I wish it would go faster. And just like other people I fill I fell off of the band wagon during the holidays and stopped walking in the morings due to the cold. I did buy a WW fit and have been doing that, I'm not sure if I like a game talking back to you.

I hope everything is going good for you and hope to see you at a meeting next month.

Great tos ee some familiar names on the site. Thanks Specual K for the encouragement. you know if I never lose another pound(which is not going to happen) I feel like a new woman and have so much more energy. My family can't believe how much I do! So even with my slow progress it is progress and I am so happy I had this done!

Well I oops today and headed to the Dr. office to see Dr. Miller for a checkup and hadn't checked my home voicemail since Friday and they had let me know my Monday 8:30 am appt was cancelled because he wouldn't be in. Silly me... maybe another senior moment since my birthday is this week. Very nicely, they gave me 8:30 am with Dr. Choban instead this Thursday so that was perfectly fine with me to reschedule.

The Mt. Carmel Bandsters thread has been pretty quiet lately. Everyone doing okay?

I just got a Bodybugg - like the people on Biggest Loser wear to help track calories burned. More as I learn and get it set up and see if I think its helping.

:blush::Banane27::w00t::Banane27::mellow::Banane27:

Finally got my acceptance letter from Dr. Choban's office yesterday!!!! Yea!! One step closer to hopefully reclaiming my life! Now I guess they will get my 300 dollars this week,and then be calling me for an appointment? I wonder how many clearances you have to go through...Does it depend on each individual? Did you all decide the band was the surgery you wanted,or does the surgeon suggest which surgery would be best for you? My sister had the rueny <sp>several years ago,and has had lots of problems including a revision after the pouch stretched out from overeating...Just don't think that is the route for me. Also,somewhere on this forum somebody suggested a book concerning the food intake after surgery-anyone know what the name of that book is without me going back through all the pages to find it???? Then someone mentioned hair falling out;does that happen with everyone? I already have thin,fine hair!!! My mind is racing!!! I am excited,and scared,but moving on... Thanks in advance from whatever help you can give me!!!!

Joyce

It is so neat to see how excited you are -- I was right there a year ago. Wow, time flies. I'll try to answer your questions but keep asking, that is what we are here for.

1. Yes, you inevitably will have some kind of clearances to go through if you are going to have insurance pay for it. It does vary alot. I had to do a cardio clearance, psych clearance, sleep apnea clearance was waived because I had already done that and use a CPAP and the hardest clearance of all is either 6 months on continuous diet program evidenced by a medical doctor, nutritionist. They wouldn't just take WW weigh ins, etc. I also had Aetna and they wanted 5 years of weight history showing I had been attempting weight loss with a doctors guidance and had been obese during that time. This nutrition stuff and weight history seems to be what is the trickiest to finish off but you'll get there.

2. Thin hair -- I also have thin hair and this is an issue for those who are losing weight fast like we are doing. You can help minimize it by taking Biotin (I get mine at CVS) daily and also by being totally dedicated to getting at least 70 grams of Protein a day in. People who are cutting calories can find it tough to meet the protein requirement unless they use some Protein Bars or Protein Drinks (I do) to help make up the difference.

3. There is actually a good book called Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies and it has some pretty good practical info in it.

4. I used alot of the receipes and ideas that were on this website for the Full liquids and Mushies stages of eating and that was a help.

5. I had Dr. Price as my surgeon and I went in there being pretty sure lapband was what I wanted because I knew it was a considerably safer surgery from the complexity of the procedure, the mortality rate, I didn't want my stomach and intestines permanently rerouted, I like sugar and I heard about dumping and no sugar at all for RNY patients that had gastric bypass. So when I talked with him at my initial appointment, I told him why I thought I wanted lapband and why I didn't think I wanted RNY. He asked me if I knew it would take longer to lose my weight on Lapband, that I'd lose at a slower rate and maybe not lose as much in total as RNY and I said yes, I'm willing to take time to lose. He said, okay, we'll do a band on you. You're a good candidate. ...and the rest is history about -86 lbs now in 10 months.

I will tell you it is financially more of an incentive for doctors to do RNY, more surgery costs, more hospital costs but if you know what you want, stay strong. I did have a friend on this site that chose RNY and had some health reasons to do so and I supported the decision that was right for her. You are the one who has to live the rest of your life with the decision you make. I also had a couple other friends on this board who are still fairly young and have young children, and wanted to go with the less risky surgery and future lifestyle flexibility and the doctors seemed to be very supportive of lapband for younger mothers/fathers.

Best wishes in your journey. Be sure you take some Before pictures - front, side, and back and a close up of your face before you lose and you will be astounded at the change.

I second that Christy... I hope your birthday is fantabulous Kathy! You are such a wonderful friend and I'm so glad we've met through this journey! You are amazing and such an inspiration!

HAPPY -B K GOD BE WITH YOU ON YOUR DAY

It is nice to see some of us old banders on here again I miss writing and sometimes I don't have time but I'm think about all of you. I'm doing fine now I was tight my food can go down now I didn't have an unfill I wanted to wait it out. How is Debby doing has anyone heard from her? Good luck on your road to good health Sillypuddy was in your shoes last year also I have lost 110lbs so far and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

LadyRoz

Kathy---Happy Birthday

About the hair loss--mine fell out really bad when i was losing rapidly but now my hair is great. thicker than before.

maybe because i eat more Protein and my health is better.

i am playing hookie from work today. i dont do the whole drivin' in the snow thing. so i have time to sit in my window and look out at the winter wonderland!

i had my band checked with the floroscopy yesterday. dr choban says all looks fine and no leaks. it was a relief because i have wondered at times if it hadnt slipped or if i hadnt stretched my stomach out. sometimes i can eat so much that it worries me. but if she looked and didnt see anything wrong then i am happy.

she put a little more in, i was hoping to get that thing filled to capacity so i could start losing some more weight. but she is very conservative.

i just love dr choban. her bedside manner works much better for me. she is like my own personal cheerleader. whereas that dr miller reminds me of my exhusband--nagging me about my weight gain and making me feel guilty. that doesnt work for me, it just makes me eat more. I need to feel like the "star pupil" and then i strive to keep that persons faith in me.

Be safe out there in this weather!!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I did have a good check up with Dr. Choban today, no fill adjustment needed because she is thrilled with how well I'm doing, she said you are way ahead of the curve for lapband patients. Keep working the tool. I see the docs next on March 16, right before my 1 year surgery anniversary. I told her I'm working to be at -100 by then. I had lost 12 lbs since about December 2 at my last tiny fill adjustment and she thought that was great. Very good encouragement.

Thank you everyone for your support. Hope you enjoyed your birthday,Kathy. I am still nervous,but forging ahead;I have my first consultation with Dr. Choban on February 24. I know I am going to have to figure out a new relationship with food, and I don't even know where/how to even begin. But the possibility of even having 20 pounds off my body right now sounds great!!! More later!!

Joyce

Belated Happy Birthday SpecialK! Hope it was a good one. You are doing a fantastic job with the weight loss!

Hi Debbie, sounds like we are having the same problems. I can and do eat way to much. I have only lost 37lbs... But without the band I might have gained that much, so I am not giving up! I am convinced that when it warms up so I can get outside I will do better. On the bright side...I can't believe how much better I feel just losing that much!

Hello to all the new people!! :thumbup:

Belated Happy Birthday SpecialK! Hope it was a good one. You are doing a fantastic job with the weight loss!

Hi Debbie, sounds like we are having the same problems. I can and do eat way to much. I have only lost 37lbs... But without the band I might have gained that much, so I am not giving up! I am convinced that when it warms up so I can get outside I will do better. On the bright side...I can't believe how much better I feel just losing that much!

Hello to all the new people!! :thumbup:

Good to hear from you Sue. I havent' heard lately from GregW but he was close to 90 lbs last time he did check in. Hang in there. Go see Dr. Choban for a fill because it sounds like you aren't to your sweet spot on restriction yet. Take care and keep the faith.

Hi ladies,

Seems like I'm the only guy on this thread. Oh well .... Just checking in. All is well. I saw Dr. Choban this morning - no fill again. I lost 16 lbs. since the last time, so now I don't see her again for 3 months instead of 6 weeks. I'm thinking about applying for the fashion show but haven't decided yet. Oh yeah, my daily walking routine kind of went by the wayside when it got so darned cold, so we joined a gym last night. Hopefully, that will get me back on track for exercising. Hang in there everybody and keep on being "losers". :bananalama: Have a Happy Valentines Day!