Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing A Jump Start

Im a 4 yr. bander and Im at a stand still. I just turned 60 in September. When I had the surgery I weighed 240 and Im now at 192. Its been a long 4 yrs and I just don't know what to do. I figured out this evening I need a band buddy that can help me jump start this adventure. My daughter has also had the surgery and lost over 100 lbs only to gain it back. We were going to be each others buddies but as you can see that wont be happening any time soon.

Is there anyone out there who would like to be a buddy to me? Someone who can share their war stories with Me and maybe some eating ideas that have made them a success???

Help....

I'll be 2 years out on Thanksgiving day. I lost 50 but gained about 15 back now. I'm holding my own but it'll be an uphill battle between now and New Years. I guess I'm not real worried about this as I know what I need to do but I'm not going to tackle this till all the temptations are out of sight. Xmas is just too difficult a time for me to take on.

Hope you're eating healthy?

I am 65, I had my surgery at 61. I was 245, I lost 100 lbs, but over the last 2 years gained about 30 lbs. I am currently following my alorie count and excerise on myfitnesspal app on my phone. It really seems to be helping me be aware of my calorie intake. I was not very careful of slider foods and that will cause weight gain although you are not aware of eating muuch. My daughter, son, and I are our support group.

By the way, my surgery was Oct 30, 2009, and I joined here in Nov 2009. You can send to me directly, if you wish.

Exercise is important, too, get your daughter to join you, start with walks. that is about all I do, now. Best wishes. Karen

Edited by kll724

Hi otherside,

I was hoping I would get this post going again! I'm in the same situation and hope we can both support each other. Every day is different and this is a lifelong challenge.

I will be 60 in August. We have so many different challenges don't you think?

How to hear from you! I just got a fill today. I gained 30 lbs.back after a 4 year hiatus, but I'm trying to get back in the swing.

Hello everybody,

I'm glad I found this group! Had my surgery in 2010 and did extremely well for over a year, then life really took me for a spin and I allowed myself to get off track. Original weight was 264 and I had gotten down to 212 by early 2013. Currently I am 236 and re-focusing to get back on track. Twice I had band slippage and Fluid removed and refilled a couple of several times as well. I had not had any follow up appts since April 2013 due to loss of insurance. Starting in Jan 2014 was able to get insurance and went back to clinic and received encouragement and got a .3cc fill which came to be too much and .2cc was removed. This week, after 3 weeks, .1cc was added back. So far, so good. I know what to do to lose the weight (proper diet and exercise), but got off track.

Having this support can be a big help and look forward to communicating with this group for support to loose the rest of my weight. I originally lost 52lbs but gained almost half of it back. I am determined to complete this journey and reach my goals successfully.

I'd love to hear back from anybody with some positive feedback!!

JaGo

I am 63 and 4 1/2 years into this process. I lost 70 pounds, but have now gained 20 pounds back. I am really frustrated too because I had my band tightened as much as possible (almost too much) and still am not losing any. I know my eating is part of the problem and I can't do much exercise because I am getting ready for knee surgery March 12. Much of my problem is from

the uncomfortable feeling Protein gives me no matter how tight or how loose the band is. Any suggestions on a good menu plan?

I don't why this posted my comments twice, but I edited one out.

Edited by patt741950

I am 63 and 4 1/2 years into this process. I lost 70 pounds, but have now gained 20 pounds back. I am really frustrated too because I had my band tightened as much as possible (almost too much) and still am not losing any. I know my eating is part of the problem and I can't do much exercise because I am getting ready for knee surgery March 12. Much of my problem is from

the uncomfortable feeling Protein gives me no matter how tight or how loose the band is. Any suggestions on a good menu plan?

What do you mean uncomfortable? As in, it doesn't pass through the pouch, or, it makes you sick to your stomach, or stuck??

Hi, I'am over weight myself but haven't had surgery. My mother had surgery 3 years ago. She lost 20 something pounds in the first 2 months. She broke her arm and seem to give up. Now she weighs more than before surgery. She won't do support group and won't let anyone help her. I don't know what to do and worried sick about her. She hasn't been back to doctor and sure she's eating all the time. Sad and worried!????

Sam777,

I'm so sorry about your mom's troubles. As family members, we want so much for our loved ones and sometimes wish we could miraculously get them to a place of betterment. There is no magic wand for that. Unfortunately, all too often, we must stand aside until THEY are ready to be accountable for themselves and want to make healthier choices.

My younger sister recently helped me realize this about another one of our sisters who's not taking proper control of her health and procrastinating in making urgent health decisions.

I'm sure that you love your mother and want the best for her. The best thing right now might be to just continue to show her love. Do fun and enjoyable things with her and allow trust to grow stronger between the two of you so that she feels safe to maybe one day, open up and share with you what's going on on the inside of her.

Many blessings to you and your dear mother.

Edited by JaGo