Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious

Reoccurring theme here, why is my surgery best? I'm not trying to start WWIII here but just curious, in a non-hostile, in your face, you suck and I'm right, you're wrong kinda way, why did YOU pick YOUR surgery? They've all got pros and cons, but what tipped the scales for you?

I keep hearing 'I don't want a foreign body in me' 'I don't want 85% of my perfectly healthy stomach cut out' 'I don't want my guts rerouted or malabsorption' but what did it for you, what made you comfortable with your choice?

Keep in mind I'm a failed band with revision to RNY so you're not trying to sell it to me.

I'll start. I started with a band simply because it seemed like an easy and less drastic surgery. It seemed simple. (And really, surgery and recovery were). Had the band and I gotten along it woulda been awesome!!!! But, sadly, we didn't. I had so many complications and so much misery, when it prolapsed I got to choose sleeve or RNY (my doc won't revise a prolapsed band to another band, plus, in the end it had started to erode so repeat band was off the table). The determining factor for me between sleeve and RNY was simply reflux/GERD risk. I had horrible reflux with my band, even when it was empty. Like waking up at night with acid coming out my nose type reflux. It was miserable and the thought that the sleeve might possibly give me any reflux at all was enough to sway me. (And who knows, not everyone has GERD with the sleeve, I might have been fine, but the thought terrified me).

When I started thinking of wls it was the band I had in mind. It took a year of researching and finding a dr and getting comfy with the idea. Once I met with the surgeon rny was mentioned and the sleeve. I just felt it would be better to go with the," gold standard" for obesity treatment. Felt much more comfortable with that. While rny and the sleeve are considered irreversible I did feel comforted I had my "fat girl tummy" off to the side and if I needed it at least it was there.

I knew I would cheat the band. After speaking with the dr I just knew getting the band would probably truly not fix my problem with obesity. It would take something stronger to truly force me to change my life. I'm an emotional eater and also a food addict. I knew with the band I'd probably find myself trying to slide in milkshakes and ice cream when I had my "melt down" moments. I did it too frequently after bad days at work so why would I stop after getting a band? I knew my emotional eating and addiction would probably cripple me. Too many times after work I'd stop and grab ice cream or milkshakes cause I justified it to myself I had taken care of a mass load of patients and the stress and strain of it..and I deserved it. I needed to risk the fact that my treatment would cause me to"dump" if I did the wrong thing. Kinda like it would keep me honest and accountable. The sleeve was too new and I was afraid. I had a few patients who in our clinic had the sleeve and later ended up with rny. Just made the most sense to me.

I applaud anyone who decides to take their well being and health in their hands and go forward with a hard decision that truly could make it better. We all choose what we feel is best. I like my decision and I don't totally think rny is the best decision for everyone else but for me it was. I am glad to be the cheerleader and watch anyone who chose wls succeed no matter the procedure.

When I started thinking of wls it was the band I had in mind. It took a year of researching and finding a dr and getting comfy with the idea. Once I met with the surgeon rny was mentioned and the sleeve. I just felt it would be better to go with the," gold standard" for obesity treatment. Felt much more comfortable with that. While rny and the sleeve are considered irreversible I did feel comforted I had my "fat girl tummy" off to the side and if I needed it at least it was there. I knew I would cheat the band. After speaking with the dr I just knew getting the band would probably truly not fix my problem with obesity. It would take something stronger to truly force me to change my life. I'm an emotional eater and also a food addict. I knew with the band I'd probably find myself trying to slide in milkshakes and ice cream when I had my "melt down" moments. I did it too frequently after bad days at work so why would I stop after getting a band? I knew my emotional eating and addiction would probably cripple me. Too many times after work I'd stop and grab ice cream or milkshakes cause I justified it to myself I had taken care of a mass load of patients and the stress and strain of it..and I deserved it. I needed to risk the fact that my treatment would cause me to"dump" if I did the wrong thing. Kinda like it would keep me honest and accountable. The sleeve was too new and I was afraid. I had a few patients who in our clinic had the sleeve and later ended up with rny. Just made the most sense to me. I applaud anyone who decides to take their well being and health in their hands and go forward with a hard decision that truly could make it better. We all choose what we feel is best. I like my decision and I don't totally think rny is the best decision for everyone else but for me it was. I am glad to be the cheerleader and watch anyone who chose wls succeed no matter the procedure.

awesome for you to have the insight that you did and realize you'd work around your band. You musta picked right cuz you're doing fabulously!!! (Skinny butt!)

:) it's still so surreal to be called skinny! I'm starting in ways to almost feel it! I wish my head would shrink a bit tho so I look a little less like a bobble head doll

My head looks enormous, so glad to see you say that :D. I guess it's really just that my ass is no longer enormous so I'm distracted by the biggest part now.

I chose the sleeve because I felt it was the protocol I could stick with forever. It also seemed to have the right mix of good results/ low complications.

They all seemed equally invasive. Cutting out a certain percentage of my stomach seemed like no problem to me since it wasn't doing anything but allowing me to get fatter. I have 15% of my stomach left....but that's way bigger than 15% of a normal stomach. People forget that.

Also....after I lost the weight....I had some very healthy hanging skin cut off during my Tummy Tuck. That skin was healthy...but I had no issue getting it removed surgically. It wasn't helping me either. :P

I believed then and still do that one of the keys to success with any WLS is following the plan for life. All the surgeries have different plans (but certainly with similarities). All have drawbacks....all have risk of complications....all have successes and failures. None of them offer any guarantees, but you can improve your chances by working your particular surgery's protocol.

You weren't emotionally attached to the saggy hangy downy extra parts????? :)

You weren't emotionally attached to the saggy hangy downy extra parts????? :)

Some of them I'm very emotionally attached to.

Some of them I'm very emotionally attached to.

no no, the ones that were removed. For your sake I hope they kept you ones you are emotionally attached to intact!

Honestly I spent all my life with that hangy downy panni. It took about a month for me to get used to it being gone. I was like an amputee that kept forgetting a limb was gone. It was weird. I'm 7 weeks post op and feeling great.

Honestly I spent all my life with that hangy downy panni. It took about a month for me to get used to it being gone. I was like an amputee that kept forgetting a limb was gone. It was weird. I'm 7 weeks post op and feeling great.

how much did they hack off??? I'm always horrified at how big those things are.

Ohhh Butter it's soooo big!!! (Don't hear that much huh?). Truly that is AWESOME! Thanks or sharing your hangy downy with the class.