Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "if You Can Do That, You Don't Need Surgery" Comment

Since July I have lost 36 lbs by following the nutritionists intructions and increasing my exercising(still not enough). Now family members and friends are saying well geez if you can lose that much in four months you really should not have surgery just keep up what you are doing. My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. I wish someone in my family besides my husband would get just how important this is to me.

I am sorry. Not having great support makes life and choices harder.

You choose what is best for you.

Publically you can say "thanks for your concern and heartfelt advice"

Privately you can vent here and think "kiss my ass"

Art I can always count on you for the great comments thanks! The reason I lost the weight so far was because I had a goal to get to surgery.

Arts totally stole my KISS ME ASS line.

Why do you care what others say? You know what is best for you, you are in charge of your body. You know if you can sustain what you are doing now without the tool as a sleeve. You know your history of gaining/losing.

NO ONE ELSE MATTERS.

Smile and move on.

Broncho... Giant Hugs

Lipstick... You have taught me well. my love!

I am trying to smile with my glittery blue lipstick on!

Most of us have lost it tons of times. The surgery is for keeping it off. In combination with your hard work.

Tell them "Kiss my ass!" Oh, wait...

Of course you can lose it, but this time you are going to keep it off. Don't worry. You have us.

lost 36 lbs - family members - friends - saying - geez if you can lose that much in four months...........

Bronco0605

People that never had a weight problem - "just don't get it!!!!"

you, me, most of us have been able to successfully lose weight over the years, and the years, and the.......

we just can't keep it off!!!! :angry:

we don't want to gain the weight back + more :ph34r:

when someone says something about exercise, eating better to you - I would smile (while gritting my teeth)

say thanx but.............i've thought alot about having WLS, it is/was a big decision - and this is what i'm gonna do.

end of sentence - you don't need to discuss or explain yourself anymore!!!

(its too bad we feel the need to have to defend ourselves - but.............)

36 lbs gone pre-op :)

good for you :)

all the less to lose post op

you are off to a great start :)

keep up the good work :)

good luck on Tuesday

speedy recovery

congrats

Funny you should mention this....my boss told me before I had my surgery " Oh...I cannot believe you are doing this...I would never do this"...I didn't ask for her approval...just told her with FMLA papers in hand that I would be out for two weeks. I didn't need her approval or anyone else's for that matter. I got this! You will be fine and you are doing this for you...do not allow anyone to say ANYTHING negative to you!