Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Hazelsbliss! I understand where you are coming from, and I'm 3+ years post-op so marching along also. I don't think that you were being adversarial but there was an undertone that did strike a chord with me. I know you said you weren't trying to derail from her post, but that is sort of how it came accross to me. It was basically like "yeah, this ONE person had complications, but not everyone does and sometimes it's related to patient compliance" ...as I said it struck a nerve. I'm happy that you have done so well with your band, I just didn't need to see/hear about it on a thread where someone is pouring their heart out over their own personal experience.

Part of this whole thing is the walls have been torn down so-to-speak. I doubt in the old days that I would have ventured over into RNY or Band territory, and even though I could have used my VST login to log in and comment over there, I'm sure I would never have done that. I have a hard enough time just keeping up with ONE site, let alone many.

Please also don't take what I said as "you aren't allowed to post here" because that is NOT what I'm saying. And I realize that everything is "meshed" together now, so when we look at trending topics or new posts it's kind of hard to tell where they are posted...until you click on them and see the top link to orient where you are reading.

I just don't want people of any of the boards to feel like they can't post their truth without someone jumping in and saying "but you are just ONE person, not everyone experiences that!!!" because that's kind of the truth about each and every post on here.

I agree :) And I apologize for any misperceptions. I really am trying to carefully word my responses to not be offensive because I know that this is a sensitive subject for all. I don't mind open exchanges, sharing stories (good and bad), just an open mind and ear :)

Laura, I am not saying people can't share their experiences. But unfortunately this site has become our home to and so I'd like to send some positive waves about the band. I have not been hostile nor adversarial, please refrain from doing the same. This has nothing to do with first or last words, I'm merely having conversation????

Well, before we dead a dead horse. I will just say good luck on your journeys. Peace

My surgeon DOES NOT even place bands any more. Way too many complications involved. I opted for full gastric bypass because the long term results are so much better. Good luck to you and I hope all of your troubles are behind you now!

My surgeon in Muskegon, Mi doesn't do bands either!!!! Monday was my 1 year mark!!1 You can do this!!! My doctor wouldn't let me have bread, Pasta, rice etc. for 6 months, then whole grain....I waited 8 months and lived to talk about it. LOL!!! I love that and it actually was easier not eating it at all than eating a small amount. Glad you are doing well now!!! Keep us posted!

To the OP...I'm so sorry about all of your complications, that sounds really awful and I'm glad you were able to fix the damage and live to tell your story. I wish you all the best with your sleeve and look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Hello to the band people reading/viewing/posting here...welcome!

While I appreciate that you have had wonderful experiences with your band, I respectfully disagree that THIS THREAD is the place to go and promote how happy you are with your band.

The OP, posted this in the TELL YOUR GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY STORY, which is an appropriate place for this. She didn't go over to the band forum and start bashing bands, and trying to scare people away. She said she will be reporting this to the FDA (and yay, it *should* be reported...) because it is HER TRUTH. Not everyone has the same experience with any of the surgeries, there are risks, complications, variations of patient compliance with EACH and EVERY surgery. I welcome different viewpoints and while I think that you all have valid points about your happiness with your bands, I just don't think this was the place to post about it.

Please have respect for all of our members.

This.

When the claws come out that come out for blood don't they ladies. Pretty amazing the "support" found here. I have reread everything again and do not feel any one was on here promoting the band or hijacking a sleeve thread. LifeLiver made one comment that made me feel the need to post and I'm sure the other banded people as well. Review it if you like but she said and I quote "I need to make sure that the public is aware of its complications." That's all well and good but can you sleevers honestly tell me that had any of us posted a comment about sleeve in a fashion such as that quote that you would not have some sort of response???? I read no disrespect anywhere in any of these. I simply read general discussion about the thread that LifeLiver had started. Her story, while tragic, was posted for people to read and comment on. I know that everyone is struggling with the sites merger but where has the general principle gone? We all have something in common. We were or are all fat asses and joined a forum for knowledge and support. Where's the love? Where's the support? Everyone seems so quick to judge and ridicule someone's post. Can we not look past surgery types and just be supportive? Regardless of how you get there, everyone has the same goal. Bashing and childish bullshit it's not what I signed up for and honestly I expect more from the people I turn to everyday to find support in. I don't care what surgery you had, we can all help each other.

By the way, LifeLiver, I think your story is incredible and I'm so glad you're alive to tell it and that I was able to read it. As a banded person, should I ever have complications such as yours, I will know signs to look for and will be able to remember your story if I get into a position that I need to consider a revision surgery. Thank you for posting you story.

WOAH...who knew this much passion was behind the type of surgeries we have had. I stand by my statement, my truth. What sets me apart from any discussion of band vs. sleeve, is I have had BOTH. I was a SUCCESSFUL band patient, loosing 190 lbs. However that did come at a cost...if we really reflect on our lives and living with a band, I do not need to explain more. I was the biggest band promoter, until the complications started. Even with my constant vomiting, and hiding the fact I could not enjoy a meal...I am a master of denial and incognito. I will also say please be mindful of experience. My complications were very real, and very real for many. Look at Australlia studies...we new complications before bringing to the US. Risk vs. reward...and I will tell my story, I will publish in medical journals and I will be meeting with the FDA. IF you have a great band experience, that is great. May you take nuggets from my experience and just tuck them away to be aware if signs happen to you, it may be caught earlier. I also gave you a 5 minute snippet of the last 2 years, my story is much deeper and many providers missed open cues...so again, my point is not to say bands suck...but they are objects placed in our bodies, and at some point they are bound to be attacked upon. As a new sleeve patient, and experiencing both...I am super excited for my future, and last night enjoyed a meal with my fiance never once leaving the table because something was stuck. Beautiful, quality of life :)

Well said Lifeliver. It's clear there are risks/complications with any WLS. Some can be mitigated but some cannot. We cannot "blame the victim" in every case.

I'm glad you're having success now and while I don't want to bash any WLS, I do think that public awareness and education about these eventualities is a must.