Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Initial consulation...complete! Yeah!

Well, finally the day came and I got to meet with my doctor for the very first time. I absolutely love him...he has such a great bedside manner. He took time to answer all of my questions (all 20 something of them) and spent more than an hour with me explaining the lapband process and was actually happy to see me pull out a whole list of questions! :faint:

So, now I have a class that I have to attend on 3/22 that covers nutrition and exercise. It is a requirement and cost $300, which is not covered by my insurance. The class is from 8:30am-1:30pm and apparently we are supposed to cover pre- and post-op nutrition information. There is also information regarding exercise...has anyone else had to attend something like this?

Also, my insurance requires a psych eval. I have called the office of the doctor I have been referred to and left two messages as we seem to be playing phone tag. Can anyone who has had to have a psych eval tell me what I might expect?

Seems like the ball is finally rolling...:clap2:

Hopefully they will get all the details taken care of easily and you will get a date! I remember how excited and nervous I was when I was arranging all the details.... Good Luck!

My psych eval was really easy. Met the doc on a Thurs, talked for about 40 mins re: did I understand the changes that would come after surgery, did I have a support system, etc. Went back the next day to take the MMPI test, 567 T/F questions. It was hilarious!! I don't know the reasoning behind the order the questions are posed, but it just struck me so funny. Here's a little sample of how the test goes:

I would like to do the work of a forest ranger T/F

I have women in my live that I admire T/F

I hear voices when I'm alone T/F

If I were a reporter, I would enjoy reporting sports T/F

I am sometimes awkward or clumsy T/F

I enjoy playing rough sports (like football or soccor) T/F

I hate my entire family T/F

and it goes on like that for 567 question...I go back in a few days so he can go over the test and let me know how I did. Hopefully he won't keep trying to make me wear that weird jacket with the extra long arms that tie in the back again!!:heh:

I have a class that I have to attend on 3/22 that covers nutrition and exercise.
Laureli, I also had my first visit last week and I too have to attend a nutrition class on 3/28. They really want to emphasize that the band is only a tool, not a magic bullet. I met w/ 4 different people when I went for my visit last week and everyone of them asked if I understood this. Good luck to you! :gluck:

When my psych eval. was over he was kind enough to tell me

that I passed, and what he was looking for. Signs of depression, since that individual may not be able to handle the changes after the surgery, and signs of sexual abuse, as that individual may be afraid or unable to healthily handle the attention that her new body might command.

Interesting, but makes perfect sense.

Good luck. Keep calling and don't give up. You need to be persistent to get all your tests done in a timely manner. Ask for cancellations...repeatedly...day after day if necessary!

Keep us posted

Kim :kiss2:

banded 1/30/07

223ps/217s/204t/135g

first fill 3/09/07- 1 cc

When my psych eval. was over he was kind enough to tell me

that I passed, and what he was looking for. Signs of depression, since that individual may not be able to handle the changes after the surgery, and signs of sexual abuse, as that individual may be afraid or unable to healthily handle the attention that her new body might command.

Interesting, but makes perfect sense.

Good luck. Keep calling and don't give up. You need to be persistent to get all your tests done in a timely manner. Ask for cancellations...repeatedly...day after day if necessary!

Keep us posted

banded 1/30/07

223ps/217s/204t/135g

first fill 3/09/07- 1 cc

:help: What do they do if they find signs of depression? I am not banded yet but trying, I am trying to learn the steps and in which order.:faint: Thanks

:help: I am not banded yet but trying, I am trying to learn the steps and in which order.:faint: Thanks

I would think your doctor would tell you what tests need to be done. For example, mine doesn't require a psych test or a sleep test. Have you met w/ a doctor yet? I went for my initial mtg last week and was told I needed some lab work done and needed to have my primary care physician write a letter clearing me for surgery and told me I had to go to a nutrition class and a support group meeting. They were very specific about what I needed to get done, but there was no particular order for it to be done in. After I get all of that to them, then I can call for an appt. I'm sure everyone is different though. Hope that helps!

No i am going to call tomorrow. I just got the refferal from my family doctor today. Thank you for your advice.

I would think your doctor would tell you what tests need to be done. For example, mine doesn't require a psych test or a sleep test. Have you met w/ a doctor yet? I went for my initial mtg last week and was told I needed some lab work done and needed to have my primary care physician write a letter clearing me for surgery and told me I had to go to a nutrition class and a support group meeting. They were very specific about what I needed to get done, but there was no particular order for it to be done in. After I get all of that to them, then I can call for an appt. I'm sure everyone is different though. Hope that helps!

No i am going to call tomorrow. I just got the refferal from my family doctor today. Thank you for your advice.:clap2: :eek:

I had my psych eval done last week, basically it's just their shrink talking about your reasons for wanting it, how you think you'll handle change, your past....etc and then having to take a 300+question test with answers such as "most likely, somewhat likely, notsure, most likely..etc"

He told me he would let me know if I didn't pass or wouldn't say anything if I did since I was there to do my stress test afterwards, well I never heard anything from him so i'm assuming I did.

:help: What do they do if they find signs of depression? I am not banded yet but trying, I am trying to learn the steps and in which order.:faint: Thanks

Leajo03

Keep in mind that every doctor is different- they put up the hoops...we go through em! I was just cautious not to give too much info in the psych eval. Let's face it- if you are heavy there may be some form of unhappiness or depression- I 'm guessing it is the degree of the problem.

Not a professional, just a bander with an experience to share. I remember being "on the other side" pre-banding and looking for all info I could find.

My best advise for this stage- be persistant and commandeer your own path. Re: making appointments- cancellations are the key to moving up your appointments- the offices know in the morning about a half hour after they open when they have cancellations. I was able to shave 6 weeks off my pre-op process by getting my appointments moved closer and closer. I got them all done in less than 10 days!

Ask any questions you have- everyone here is terrific! Our collective energy for each other should be enough to carry us all over the finish line.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

223ps/217s/203t/135g

banded 1/30/07

first fill 3/09/07

:)Thank you so much, I will definitly follow your advice. I think everyone here is great:clap2: :clap2: I am excited yet nervous. I guess that is to be expected. I will keep everyone updated. :)

Leajo03

Keep in mind that every doctor is different- they put up the hoops...we go through em! I was just cautious not to give too much info in the psych eval. Let's face it- if you are heavy there may be some form of unhappiness or depression- I 'm guessing it is the degree of the problem.

Not a professional, just a bander with an experience to share. I remember being "on the other side" pre-banding and looking for all info I could find.

My best advise for this stage- be persistant and commandeer your own path. Re: making appointments- cancellations are the key to moving up your appointments- the offices know in the morning about a half hour after they open when they have cancellations. I was able to shave 6 weeks off my pre-op process by getting my appointments moved closer and closer. I got them all done in less than 10 days!

Ask any questions you have- everyone here is terrific! Our collective energy for each other should be enough to carry us all over the finish line.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

223ps/217s/203t/135g

banded 1/30/07

first fill 3/09/07

:)Thanks kim, I will definitly follow your advice. I am still learning how to use the site but everyone here is great:clap2: :clap2: You just had yours put in a couple weeks ago, How are you feeling? How does the fills work and is it painful when they do it?

Lea

Hi Lea!

I feel great. The surgery was easy- I was asleep. My guess is almost everyone gets unnerved by the pre-surgery and anisthesia. Just talk to the nurses and people around you- information defuses fear.. and before you know it you'll be waking up in post-op. I was allowed to go home if I wanted, but chose to stay. I was happy I did... I needed some extended help with some IV painkillers and anti-nausea meds. I was deternmined not to throw up- I've always hated to do that. (still haven't to this day) I had my last pain meds at 3:30 in the a.m. and never had any more after that. Just start walking and walking every few hours. Helps to get the gas moving. Not pretty, but a reality.

I went home the next morning, got better every day. Same things you read about on other postings...soreness, gas, hard to get in the liquids... went back to work in 5 days, part time. Take the time to get your strength back. By the end of the second week I was almost 100%. There are as many different experiences as there are folks who have been banded, this is just mine.

My restriction was good for the first three weeks, and there is nothing better in the world for someone who has struggled with weight loss than to feel full and satisfied! Weeks 4 and 5 before my fill got difficult, felt great, but could eat anything again, and I was determined not to give back my initial 12 pound loss! I stepped up the exercise and held in for my fill.

About my first fill-I wish I had asked this question myself.. I was such a wreck the day I went, (last Friday 3/09) and it was really easy.

I weighed in, shared with him I didn't have any restriction... he asked a few more questions and said "are you ready"- I was so worried about the pain. I'm babbling on about "no numbing meds?" and he's palpating my incisions and port area. He swabbed my belly and made me promise not to move my arms while he put in the needle. I was really upset. What a waste of energy. The feeling around he did of my port area with his hands hurt more that the thin needle. There was pressure as the needle hit the top and side of the port. He found it after about 40-60 seconds pulled out the Fluid, checked it and put it back with an additional 1 cc all in about 30 secoonds. There was a little "tickling" sensation as the liquid pushed back into the band. He had me swallow a dixie cup of Water when he was finished. And I was off, wishing I had researched it more myself and not been so apprehensive... huh, apprehensive?..who am I kidding, I was a total Wuss!

I have good restricton- 4 days out from the fill. I'm still on mushies until tommorrow. I hope it stays, but I certainly won't be worried about my next fill in 4 weeks. The rest of my story is still to be written, but I get great inspiration and information from all the people on LBT. If you need to know it, someone can help.

Keep in touch and GOOD LUCK!

I will be anxious to hear how it all goes for you.

About the site... if you see someone whose information you enjoy, you can click on their screen name and see all of their previous posts. This allows you to read a lot more from people that sound like they are having a similar experience to yours.

223ps/217s/203t/135g

banded 1/30/07

first fill 3/09/07