Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any advice from you guys?

Hello guys. I'm a newbie on this forum but was pretty established on the VSG forum. You see, I had the complete work up to have the sleeve done. My surgeon told me she wanted to do an EGD before scheduling surgery because I have so much reflux. After the EGD I learned I have a Barret's esophagus, which basically is thinning of the esophagus. She said that I have one of the largest hiatal hernias she has ever seen. Because of this I can no longer have the sleeve due to the risk of my esophagus rupturing. She said she would like to suggest the bypass for me, which she felt would be better for me anyway. When I first started this journey I wanted the band. Then I went to the sleeve. I had never wanted the bypass but now it's that or nothing. My hesitancy comes from seeing so many people I know have it and gain almost all their weight back or develop such severe problems from the malnutrition. My best friend's sister even has to have bi-weekly blood transfusions because she no longer absorbs Iron and she is right back to 375 from 330. Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Hello guys. I'm a newbie on this forum but was pretty established on the VSG forum. You see' date=' I had the complete work up to have the sleeve done. My surgeon told me she wanted to do an EGD before scheduling surgery because I have so much reflux. After the EGD I learned I have a Barret's esophagus, which basically is thinning of the esophagus. She said that I have one of the largest hiatal hernias she has ever seen. Because of this I can no longer have the sleeve due to the risk of my esophagus rupturing. She said she would like to suggest the bypass for me, which she felt would be better for me anyway. When I first started this journey I wanted the band. Then I went to the sleeve. I had never wanted the bypass but now it's that or nothing. My hesitancy comes from seeing so many people I know have it and gain almost all their weight back or develop such severe problems from the malnutrition. My best friend's sister even has to have bi-weekly blood transfusions because she no longer absorbs Iron and she is right back to 375 from 330. Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

This is my story, too. I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and I haven't regretted my decision at all. I was worried that this was the most invasive surgery and I don't typically recover quickly or easily from operations. YMMV, but I've had a smooth, relatively easy recovery so far. (Knock wood)

Molly 10/2/13

I'm 14 months post-op RNY and doing great...no problems whatsoever. To be honest, I don't understand how some gain their weight back after bypass because it is so uncomfortable/hurtful to overeat. One bite over my pouches limit and I hurt bad and vomit. My belly definitely lets me know when I'm approaching fullness. In other words, I wouldn't let the possibility of weight gain deter me from having the surgery. It's really within your control to avoid regaining any weight, in my experience and opinion.

I'm 14 months post-op RNY and doing great...no problems whatsoever. To be honest' date=' I don't understand how some gain their weight back after bypass because it is so uncomfortable/hurtful to overeat. One bite over my pouches limit and I hurt bad and vomit. My belly definitely lets me know when I'm approaching fullness. In other words, I wouldn't let the possibility of weight gain deter me from having the surgery. It's really within your control to avoid regaining any weight, in my experience and opinion.[/quote']

I agree. I physically cant over eat. It is painful and I get sick. Any of these surgeries are tools only and it is up to us to make sure we stick with the an and dont gain the weight back!

I followed just about the same path you did...Started out wanting the band, then was totally committed to the sleeve. I had done all my research and felt the sleeve was exactly what I needed. At the last minute, both my surgeon and nutritionist suggested the bypass due to some medical issues I have. I didn't have much time to research the bypass, but trusted them and went ahead with it. The binder we received showed pretty much the same pre-op and post op diets. Much as I don't want to avoid sweets and fatty foods, I know this is good for me. I have to admit, I wanted the sleeve so I could still eat that stuff. Seems like I was setting myself up to fail. I've heard many times that bypass is the "gold standard." I decided that if I made this huge change in my life, I was going to do it only once. No revisions for me. My recovery was surprisingly easy, as this was the first surgery I ever had. No matter what surgery you choose, this is not an easy path, but it will certainly be worth it, whatever choice you make. I don't think there's a "wrong" choice. Do you homework (you can find side-by-side comparisons of each surgery only), and make it work for you. Good luck!

tmposton, First I would have to tell you that this website is the BOMB! So many great stories!! My story is had the band, hated it, it flipped side ways and I could not get a fill or Fluid out....removed in July 2013. My son had the sleeve 3 years ago and has done fabulous and he can eat anything, but quanity is limited...but is ready to eat shortly after "settling" for a while. I have chosen the RNY because of my reflux and I like the idea of feeling full longer with less input! I am scheduled 10/28/13 and looking forward to the new me...

Knowing someone who has had complications as the result of the surgery brings the possibility too close to home and your concern is certainly understandable. But it is not a statistically viable basis for making your decision. With roughly 200,000 bariatric surgeries performed annually in the U.S. alone, if you personally knew 2,000 folks who suffered serious complications, that would be 1% of the surgery population.

Minor complications (usually defined as not requiring hospitalization) for bariatric surgery is approximately 15%. Major complications are about 5% and dropping steadily as refinements in the surgical procedure are developed. On the flip side of the coin, the success rate of RnY specifically is approximately 85% at the five year post-op mark.

All surgeries have risks and RnY is no exception. There are no guarantees. No absolutes. The risk factor associated with RnY is often compared to the risk associated with having your gall bladder removed. The decision is a very personal one. RnY has a history of research and clinical studies spanning more than 30 years. It is the single most studied bariatric surgery there is - by a very wide margin. The bottom line is that from a statistical standpoint, the odds of having a successful surgery are overwhelmingly in your favor.

You're gonna love the new you!