Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk to me about Syntrax Matrix

So, I actually did search out threads on it and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I'm posting.

Does anyone drink this one? Is it any good? I love that nectar is actually good with just plain Water and don't want something that tastes best blended with milk.

I'm actually more concerned with the differences between this and Nectar - what's the whole slower digesting, blended Protein thing about?

I currently use Nectar because it's the one protein I've liked the entire three years post op. But I'm doing strength training (ugh...don't get me started, I STILL hate exercise) and Matrix was recommended to me by a friend who claims it's better for people working out. Something about the protein being better for building muscle, but I kinda didn't follow because until recently, I could really care less about building muscle at all.

But I use the Nectar as a supplement - to up my protein only, not as a Meal Replacement or as something to recover from workouts.

Any input from people that understand these things?

~Cheri

I use the nectar Sweets every day in a shake I make with milk, nonfat Greek yogurt, & instant espresso. I have that as my Breakfast, though, not just as a supplement. I've never checked out the Matrix, but I've also started working out regularly so now you have me interested, too. Hopefully someone who knows more than either of us will answer! :P

I have

Oops. Sorry about that. Yes, I have drank several of the Syntrax matrix flavors. The perfect chocolate tastes better than the milk chocolate to me. I really like the mint cookie flavor and the Peanut Butter one. I don't care for the orange cream flavor very much. I blend them with Water and a little bit of ice. I think the Protein blend keeps me full longer than the Proteins that only contain whey. Good luck

I have the choc truffle nectar and the Cookies n cream matrix right now. I do notice that I'll feel slightly more full for a little while longer after having the matrix shake. Is it enough for me to consistently buy only matrix in the future? Nope. Taste is pretty similar to the double stuffed nectar so I assume the flavors still all taste pretty comparable... I don't do science so I can't help you out in that aspect ;)

Oh, I blend with Water. Sometimes I'll add some vanilla yogurt just to add some creaminess though

I have Matrix Peanut Butter, I added a spoonful of PB2 to it and mix with milk (pretty tasty) but may try it with Water next time. It was rich and heavy and I couldn't finish one Serving.

Matrix is my favorite Protein so far, though I did just order some samples of the nectar. Matrix is smooth, has little to no froth post-mixing, and no artificial sweetener aftertaste.

Isn't one of the Proteins in matrix, Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten? I wonder how that effects someone who is Gluten sensitive. It's the first time that I've ever considered what the Protein source was.

I bought a 5# bag of matrix vanilla back before surgery and it has been my go to staple Protein all through pre and post op. I used it as "creamer" in my coffee everyday preop. I've mixed it with Water and skim milk and liked it both ways. I have at least one shake made with it everyday and vary it by adding other flavors.... PB2, Mio and Dasani liquid drops, propel zero powders, puréed fruit, etc. I'm drinking a 22 oz shake right now with skim milk, water, matrix powder and cherry pomegranate Dasani. I never get sick of it and the protein blend has never bothered my sleeve at any stage. I'm still on the same 5 pound bag after 6 weeks and I'll probably have to order another one in about a week.

Love synthrax matrix! It's the only one I use.

I must be the only one out there that doesn't like Syntax Nectar! I've tried different flavors and can't get passed the smell of the Protein. To me it tastes just as bad as it smells!! I'm still in search of a protein that I can't smell or taste. So far no such luck. Guess I'll have to make homemade Protein Shakes without protein powders!

I must be the only one out there that doesn't like Syntax Nectar! I've tried different flavors and can't get passed the smell of the Protein. To me it tastes just as bad as it smells!! I'm still in search of a protein that I can't smell or taste. So far no such luck. Guess I'll have to make homemade Protein Shakes without protein powders!

I feel the same way about synthrax nectar. It's the whey isolate. The matrix has different types I protein.

I must be the only one out there that doesn't like Syntax Nectar! I've tried different flavors and can't get passed the smell of the Protein. To me it tastes just as bad as it smells!! I'm still in search of a Protein that I can't smell or taste. So far no such luck. Guess I'll have to make homemade protein shakes without protein powders!

I feel the same way about synthrax nectar. It's the whey isolate. The matrix has different types I protein.

I've never tried the regular Syntrax nectar drinks. But that whey taste in other ones like Isopure is just so overwhelming. But Jess is right, the blend of different Proteins in the Matrix is definitely an improvement as far as taste is concerned.

If you hate the taste of standard whey isolates, you might want to consider Calcium caseinate (a whey derivative) or soy isolate. Both have a complete amino acid profile which is essentially all the Proteins your body needs. Be aware though, that the soy Protein has traces of a plant enzyme that breaks down into estrogen when consumed. Eat enough of it, and it may throw some hormones out of whack.