Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC 2006~March Chat

Libra -- too funny -- I love the bathroom story. I can so relate. So, I'll tell me most embarassing PB story. I was on a date with a guy -- 2nd date, so I hadn't told him about the band yet. He was supposed to call me when he was leaving his house (about 45 min. away) and I was to meet him -- well, he called when he was 15 minutes away and I was eating at the time. So, I ate fast and got nervous at the same time -- for me, a double recipe for a PB incident. I finished my meal and then drove to the bar where we were meeting. By that time I was in full PB mode, and I had to bolt from the table 2-3 times within the first 15 minutes I was there -- once I was afraid I wouldn't make it to the bathroom in time -- to hell with whether or not there were other women in there!! Anyway, he was really concerned about me and I eventually told him about the band (kind of) b/c I was then interrupted with another need to go throw up. It was soooo awful, but I finally felt ok and we finished the evening.

The next day I came down with the worst flu I've had in 10 years, so now I think the incident was not all PB, but may have been flu-related. So, to answer the question about the flu -- yes, I have had it with the band and it sucked big time. I finally called Spivak's office and asked if I could take motrin or advil b/c tylenol was doing NOTHING and I was so miserable and sick I could barely move!! They said I could take liquid or chewables as long as it wasn't on an empty stomache, and after that, things were more tolerable.

As for NSV's, my dress size is down from an 18/20 to a 10/12 (they are certainly making sizes bigger now!! (I would never have fit into a 10 at my current weight "back in the day"). I am short, so I LOVE that I can wear high heels comfortably now. I never realized how much the weight mattered on the heel thing. I'm down from a size 7 shoe to a size 6 1/2 (still bigger than the 5 1/2 I was before kids), bra went from 44DD to 38D. I can walk for as long as I want without getting too tired or my feet hurting. My 10-year old can hug me and touch her hands together. I can get down and up from the floor without looking and feeling like an idiot!

Hey, Robin,

I have the same problem occasionally. I haven't figured out exactly when/what causes it, though I ate some fruit the other day and it happened. I don't think I am too tight -- in fact, I feel like I might be due for a fill already again. If I figure out a pattern, I'll let you know.

P.S. This morning I was .6 away from the 50 lb mark. (I had been up a couple of pounds over the last few days, so we'll see if I can break through!)

Jessica

One of my worst PB's was on my way home from work. Since I got the band when I get hungry I have to eat NOW! so I stopped at a gas station for gas and decided to grab a hot dog (this was just after my first fill) and I got in the car and took one small little bite off the end and pulled out on the road. I chewed chewed chewed and as soon as I swallowed it was STUCK really really bad. My mouth started filling with saliva and I was in 5 oclock traffic so I was trying to find a place to pull over because I had nothing to PB into. I finally pulled off the side and threw my door open and started throwing up as people are driving by staring at me like I'm the side of the road freak show! hahaha. I cringe everyday I drive by that spot now.

One night me and DH were at our friends house and the wife made homemade honey wheat bread and served it and I decided to try a small bite (I'm an idiot, I know) and major stuck! Of course we were all sitting there talking with no background sound and I rush into the bathroom and throw up twice before its unstuck and they could hear the whole thing! UGH! hahahaha. But it's a small price to pay for smaller pants!

Josette, you reminded me of another horrible pb story! I was taking my 3 year old to his allergist which is a good 45 minutes away and we were running late. I bought him a happy meal from McDonalds because we didn't have time for lunch. He ate half the cheeseburger and handed it to me. Without even thinking, I took a bite, chewed and swallowed...major stuck. I'm on the Garden State Parkway, (which is a major highway in Jersey) and salivia is starting to drip down my chin but I can't pull over because I'm in the left lane and there's a ton of traffic. I started to panic and grabbed the McDonalds' bag from the back seat. My three year old is yelling..."Mommy, you stuck? You gonna throw up?" ...ya gotta love kids... I ended up pb-ing in the McDonalds bag while driving on the Garden State Parkway at 75 mph! How scary is that!??

Then we get to the allergist and my son proceeds to tell her..."Mommy threw up on my happy meal!" LMAO!!!

HAHAHAHAHA Libra... your story so wins!!!! That's hilarious! Sorry you went through that. I love kids!

All of your stories ring so true!!!! I laughed and cried and then laughed some more! At Christmas time we went to a company party, but because we were so late in being seated I was famished by the time the food came. The most delicious crab cakes and steak I have ever tasted. Of course I ate too fast and too much. Over the next 30 minutes, I ran to the restroom 4 times. The first time I said - I have to use the restroom. The second time I said - I have to check in with the kids and took my cell phone. The third time I claimed to have got a call from them. The fourth time I said I got a call but then ran so quickly to the restroom that I forgot the phone on the table!!! Unfortunately, the restroom was tiny and right off the entry. Ladies were going in and out constantly. It was a memorable evening but for the wrong reasons!

I just need to vent for a sec...indulge me please. Here I am, 6 months out, and I feel SO restricted since the last fill. Wow, so THIS is what it really feels like. Everything else before this was a little uncomfortable, or a little inconvenient -- but this is like "HELLO I AM YOUR BAND... AND I WORK." Today has been tough. I felt stuck every time I ate. I had to wait and suffer through the stuckness and I was hungry and in pain. Of course it makes me bummed out and then I want to comfort myself -- with food! It makes me feel crazy. I'm frustrated. I know this is what the band is all about. I've gotten spoiled, bending the bandster rules b/c I haven't been that restricted. On the flip side...this COULD be the sweet spot for me if I can just get used to the little bites and more conscious eating.

OK, thanks for listening...er, I mean, reading. :)

Pelo...welcome to the band honey!!!! LOL!!!

I have days like that too but I keep reminding myself that I'm losing so it's all good! Try counting your chews. It helps you get used to it.

Pelo-- are you still able to have full liquids with no problem?? I had the same problem with solid food and they had me go back to liquids and even pudding and yogurt were getting stuck! If you think you are too tight dont hesitate to call your doctor, I waited too long and I was dehydrated and malnurished by the time I went in....its no fun to go 10 days w/o eating enough for your body to survive so yes, we may lose the weight faster this way but I didnt get the band to be anirexic either, I want to do this the healthy way. Just a thought!

I can do liquids and soft stuff easily. But at the last fill the nurse said I really needed to work on eating more hard Proteins and not falling back on the 'easy' foods. I do seem to be getting tighter since the fill so I will watch out for difficulty with the soft stuff. Thanks guys! Always helps to hear from other ABC'ers.

I can do liquids and soft stuff easily. But at the last fill the nurse said I really needed to work on eating more hard Proteins and not falling back on the 'easy' foods. I do seem to be getting tighter since the fill so I will watch out for difficulty with the soft stuff. Thanks guys! Always helps to hear from other ABC'ers.

I would suggest a slight unfill. When I was too tight I fell back on the 'easy' foods. I stayed too tight for over a month. I finally went in for a small unfill and felt so much better, but now two and a half weeks after my unfill I am still leaning towards the 'easy' foods as I am scared of feeling the same way I did while overfilled. Don't get into the habits I did to feel comfortable while overfilled! Good Luck!

Hi All, I Have Not Been On For A While. Love All The Storys. Funny! I Am Not One To Go Shopping. But I Could Not Stand It Anymore And Went To See What Size I Am Now. I Was A 34 Dress And Tried On A 26 And It Was Loose. I Tried On A 3x Pant And It Was Too Big So I Have To Go To A 2x Which Is Still A Little Big But I Bought It And It Looks Great. My Size Was 6x And My Tops Are Now 3x. I Was Very Happy As You Can Imagine.

I Have To Have Surgery Again. It Seems I Have A Hole In My Retna. If I Don't Have It Repaired I Might Not Get My Sight Back At All. He Only Says A Probable 70% Chance If I Have The Sx Now. The Only Problem Is For 10 Days After You Have To Be Looking At The Floor 24/10. No Tv And I Will Have To sleep With My Head On A Tv Table And A Pillow Which Will Hold My Head In That Position.

Talk Soon, Ladydi

ladydi way to go on the NSV!:) It does feel great when you make it to a size you haven't been in awhile. My thoughts are with you for your surgery!

A question to you all, do we ever get rid of "mental" hunger? I find there are still times when I think that I'm hungry but instead of reaching for food I now reach for Water or take a walk. I think that it is fill time for me so I'm going to go make the call.

Ya'll take care!

weight.png

I still suffer mental hunger. I try to ask myself "are you really hungry or not?" and make myself wait a while.