Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Handling the Holidays with a Baby Sleeve

I am being sleeved on the 18th and will just be transitioning to Protein Drinks. I will use the Unjury chicken broth and a Protein Shake eggnog flavored. Netrition sells a wonderful array of flavored drops with no sugar or carbs which is how eggnog factors in. Cheers!

I am the cook for most big holiday gatherings' date=' but this year my sister offered to take over the cooking, to which I readily agreed. However, I am still making mac&cheese for Christmas because my nephews only get it once a year and I make them each a pan to take home with them. Mac & cheese doesn't really tempt me much so should be ok. Most of the time there is so much activity going on that no one really knows if I have eaten or not. Hope things work out ok for you sleevesdropper.[/quote']

I found high Protein Pasta at Whole Foods. :-)

I'm being sleeved before the holidays too. I know I could wait but I just don't want to. Think of the weight we could lose before the end of the year instead of waiting and gaining. So I've been wondering about this same thing. My surgery is November 4th so I'll be further out than you and on a soft to regular food diet. I know turkey will be fine but it will be my first time having it. I don't know if I should mix it with mayo to make it moist or what. Of course' date=' I know I'm way ahead of myself but I'm still wondering. And will I be able to take a bite of dressing. All of that will be new to my sleeve and you're only supposed to intro one food at a time.....so I don't know. Plus, I won't want to get sick since my family isn't supportive of the whole thing anyway![/quote']

Low fat gravy might work. Light mayo works too :-)

So' date=' I'm the crazy person who willingly and happily scheduled her surgery for November 21--right before Thanksgiving! My retired parents were already planning to come down to spend Thanksgiving through Christmas with us (it's a good relationship, no worries). I'll be exactly 1 week post-op on Thanksgiving, and if my post-op goes well, I should be able to have my first "solid" food on Christmas Day (though I'm not bummed if I don't make that date. More interested in healing well). My family is EXTREMELY food-centric and we definitely have food issues. Just wondering how you have handled/are planning to handle the holidays. Also, does your family feel uncomfortable eating around you? How did they adjust to your new state after surgery?[/quote']

My family is über supportive, they have eaten in front of me from the beginning. It didn't bother me or them. As for the holidays, our family is all about food too, BUT I am going to focus on just visiting, although I do plan to bake cook as well;)

I'm being sleeved before the holidays too. I know I could wait but I just don't want to. Think of the weight we could lose before the end of the year instead of waiting and gaining. So I've been wondering about this same thing. My surgery is November 4th so I'll be further out than you and on a soft to regular food diet. I know turkey will be fine but it will be my first time having it. I don't know if I should mix it with mayo to make it moist or what. Of course, I know I'm way ahead of myself but I'm still wondering. And will I be able to take a bite of dressing. All of that will be new to my sleeve and you're only supposed to intro one food at a time.....so I don't know. Plus, I won't want to get sick since my family isn't supportive of the whole thing anyway!

I thought exactly the same thing. Why wait? No time is perfect! I'm really sorry to hear that your family isn't supportive. I need to not get sick, too; DH's mom had RNY many years ago, then just ate crap all the time, so he remembers her throwing up constantly. He's extremely supportive of me getting the sleeve, but still trying to come to terms with that history/baggage. She passed away about 10 years ago. I would love to have asked her about her experience.

I'm right there with you, scheduled the 21st as well! And we host thanksgiving at our house! I'm pre-cooking and freezing, and making myself something awesome full liquid, like cream of asparagus (which I love). All my folks are really supportive (though we have the emotional eating thing too), and I'm committed, so I feel pretty good. Are you worried?

Nah, I'm not worried. I mean, other than the normal "OMG what am I thinking?!" LOL!

I know, I'm halfway between "Whee Ha" and "What the Hell am I thinking?" And a woman (who works in my surgeon's office) asked if I was sure I wanted to do this during the holidays. I told her if the options were big butt and high blood pressure or no pecan pie, I'd skip the pie. I'm ready, and feeling ferocious! Damn the turkey, full speed ahead!

My surgery is on the 11th of Nov. I will be at the "mushy" stage by Thanksgiving. My NUT said that since I should eat 5 meals a day, they could all be Thanksgiving. One meal could be a little mashed potatoes and gravy, another sweet potatoes, another a little of the center of a pumpkin pie, etc.

I know, I'm halfway between "Whee Ha" and "What the Hell am I thinking?" And a woman (who works in my surgeon's office) asked if I was sure I wanted to do this during the holidays. I told her if the options were big butt and high blood pressure or no pecan pie, I'd skip the pie. I'm ready, and feeling ferocious! Damn the turkey, full speed ahead!

AMEN, LET'S GO!!

My surgery is on the 11th of Nov. I will be at the "mushy" stage by Thanksgiving. My NUT said that since I should eat 5 meals a day, they could all be Thanksgiving. One meal could be a little mashed potatoes and gravy, another sweet potatoes, another a little of the center of a pumpkin pie, etc.

This made me laugh out loud from joy. What a great solution! Kudos to your NUT!