Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I'm Tracy and I'm in the process of getting banded. I'm very excited as well as scared. I've been to the seminar, seen the Dr. and I am going to have my 3 evaluations this week. I'm schedualed for my first test in 3 weeks. They don't think I will have to do many of the test because I have had many of them done within the last 6 months. (if they are happy with the results/clarity of being able to read them, and if they are recent enough). I'm getting confused because I was set on the band and a few people are trying to push for the bypass. I love reading about everybodys experiences and success! Im happy for all of you! It helps to know what to expect and try to prepare for. I want to know the bad as well as the good! So I want to hear what everybody has to say!

I just turned 45 in Feb., I'm 232 lbs and I'm only 5 ft tall sooo...I had a stroke in 2000 caused by a hole in my heart which they repaired after finding it 4 years later. At least they think thats whats caused it and I now have high bp so Im hoping to get it lowered with weight loss. My mother is diabetic and I'm also trying to avoid that!

I wish you all good luck with your weight loss and I will appreciate any and all advice and knowledge you have to share! Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Hi Tracy, welcome!!! I too had high blood pressure, I had for years. I was taking 2 different meds a day for it. Now I take none. I haven't since the day of surgery! I also took Metformin for high blood sugar---I quit it the same day, and all my numbers are excellent now! I went to the Dr. with my DH the other day and while there I had my DD (she is the nurse) check my blood pressure, and it was 118/72. I felt on top of the world!!!

If you want the band then stick to your guns. Do not let someone else convince you to have your insides cut and re-routed if that is not what you want done!!! There is a HUGE difference in the surgeries, and in the end they accomplish the same thing. I can tell you many, many reasons I went with the band, but everyone has their own reasons....as I am sure you realize! One thing I will say, is keep the word reversible in mind. If for some reason this does not do well with your previous health issues---it can be adjusted, or in worst case scenario, removed, so you can regain your health. Once they cut your stomach and bypass the intestines---that's it. Forever. If in 10 years they come up with a non invasive weight control---you will be able to share in that. You have not altered anything, that cannot be put back!

I do not mean to do what they are doing in reverse...trying to sway you one way over another. Just wanted you to keep that HUGE difference in mind.

I had my band done when I was 45 as well. The woman who spoke at the seminar I went to was banded at 45, and she lost 100 pounds in a year---and looked incredible! I haven't lost 100....yet! But I will! I have no doubt in my mind. This has been an awesome year---I cannot believe the changes! I began in a size 22/24, and am now in a 14 pants, and an XL shirt from minimally a 3X. I have lost weight in places, I would never have imagined. My rings, my shoes....everything was/is big! I used to have to use chain extenders on my necklaces, and make sure my watches would be big enough---now I can wear them all, as is right off the shelf. It has been a thrilling year. I have had some serious things happen this year, with my DH, his health was in a bad spot a couple of times, come close to losing him...so I fully believe if we had been able to go normally all year, I would have come closer to the 100 pounds, but as it is....86+ Is huge for me!!!! I am thrilled!

I hope all your evaluations and tests go well. Please don't let yourself be swayed by anyone else. Keep your future health in mind, down the road.....

Keep us posted as to how your testing goes!! We look forward to getting to know you!!

Welcome!

Kat

Those are my thoughts exactly! I'm not going into this with the frame of mind like....ohhh we'll just take it out if I don't like it or whatever... but I am concerned with my past health problems and in case of future serious problems it "can" be removed if necessary. I'm really not interrested in the major surgery of a bypass although I would love to see some results. It's hard to behave on any diet without seeing results and they say "I" have to be more in control with the band whereas the bypass forces you to behave. But I know I can do it as long as I can see results.

Thanks so much for your quick reply!:myscared:

The band does require you to work with it, but it isn't as difficult a thing to do as it seems to be made out to be, in my opinion, although for everyone it does seem to be different. It does require common sense, and the ability to apply that common sense! If you can diet successfully, but have a problem with regaining weight, then this will be ideal is what it boiled down to for me.

And seeing the weight drop is massive incentive to continue on! You can and DO see results! Take a tour through the "Before and After" thread!!!

TTYL,

Kat

Hi Tracy,

I understand just how you feel. I have thought long and hard about what to do. After a lot of researching and talking to others, I feel like the band is the first option and the bypass is only an option if nothig else works I am onl my liquid diet right now and I am scheduled for surgery for March 16. I am both excited and scared. I hope your evaluations go well and soon we will both be on the road to a new life.

weight.png

I agree. I just think the band is the best way to go for me unless theres just no other way. Ive researched long and hard. I'm getting sooo excited and I love reading about everyones experiences! Its very helpful!

Good Luck!! and keep me updated!

I start my pre-op liquids tomorrow. I am a little bit nervous about the emotional aspects of having only liquids for 2 weeks, but I have a lot of friends praying for my success. My surgery date is 3/20/07. I can't wait! I am 35 years old and have been overweight my entire life. I am ready to be healthy for a change. I lost my brother 7/29/05 and that has changed my life forever. We were having lunch together with my mom and just about to leave the restaurant when he fell backwards in his chair and died right before my eyes. He was only 36. They told us that his aorta ruptured and he died immediately as a result of that. Talk about a scary thing! I sure don't want to end up with the same kind of problem. My surgeon told me he would never have gastric bypass if he were the patient and had to make a choice. He said he would only have lap band because of the safety issues. He highly recommended it. I am using Dr. Adams in Decatur, Alabama. I am a self pay at the price of $11,600 since BCBS of AL does not pay for the surgery. This price includes the hospital, anesthesia, surgeon and surgeon's care for 1 year.

:)

I had all 3 of my evalutions all of which were no big deal :clap2:

and I'm schedualed for the scope next week. :paranoid

Only problem I see so far is...well 2 problems. First off, after talking with the nutristionist, I found out that I can't take asprin. I take asprin on a daily basis for my heart. What do I do now? I haven't got to see the Dr again yet to ask him but I know there are a lot of people with heart conditions who have had this surgery so I was hoping for some good news on here. I was on coumidin until they repaired the hole in my heart with the cardioseal, then a year after surgery he took me off of the coumidin and put me on the asprin. AND what will meds thinning your blood do when you have something squeezing your stomach?

2nd...because of the implant...I always have to have antibiotics before/with any procedure, which I know they can use IV during surgery, but what about after surgery? Having a foreign object inside your stomach....? I will without a doubt talk to my Dr asap but for now and for reassurance does anyone here have similar situations?

I also take an 81 mg. aspirin each day, due to a family history of artery disease, and my surgeon as well as my follow up care Dr. have both just suggested taking it with food.< /strong>

I also take an antibiotic before dental work etc. due to a heart murmur, and now the dentist just prescribes it in liquid form.

Neither one seem like they should slow you down tracy.

Welcome to LBT!

Kat

Is the scope bad?

Hi, I have been approved by my insurance and gone through all the test. I am awaiting my date and my pre-op class. Any advice. I will be having the lap band. My doctor is DR. Michael Thomas in New Orleans.

This site is full of advoce acheiver!!! Take some time, read through some threads, and you will find lists of supplies to have on hand for the days following surgery. You will find threads of those awaiting surgery during the same month as you. They are particularly nice, as most of us go through similar emotions as the day approaches!

If you think of a question, you don't see out there, just post it---we'll be glad to help!

Welcome to LBT, and congrats on getting your approval!!!

Kat

Hi

I'm just getting started too. Excited, scared and impatient. Keep us updated and good luck!:)