Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four days post op

Hi Everyone

I am 46 yrs old, 4 days post op gastric sleeve and very much on my way to my new life! Surgery date: Oct 15, 2013. I'm 5'5" and weighed 268 lbs in August. I was at my GP's office for a check up and when I stepped on the scale and knew I could no longer live morbidly obese. I'd hewed and hawed for almost two yrs prior, also. So, here I am. Day before surgery my wt was 256. I return for post op visit on Oct 25. Your posts are inspiring and let me know I am not alone. I have chosen not to share the sleeve experience w/ my family yet, nor co-workers, although, I am rethinking this. I go back to wk on Monday and starting to worry I haven't taken enough time off. Does anyone have any suggestions abt returning to wk (how you held it together w/out getting to tired) and how you handled the negative feedbk from others about surgery? I appreciate it.

Hi, I took four weeks off of work....could have probably gone back after two. I found that I had good energy in the morning, but got really tired in the afternoon. I told everybody that I was having surgery and got a lot of concern looks. Well almost 10 months out I have lost 92lbs and the only kind of looks I get now are appreciative ones! People will actually ask did you eat. you need to eat more, etc........and never did I ever think anyone would say that to me. So buckle up and enjoy the ride, you cant believe how much your life is about to change. Good Luck :D

I am encouraged by your words and always love a good challenge (buckling up as we speak). Thanks so much! You made my day:)

I had let it be known to family/friends/coworkers before surgery. I have only experienced positive feedback so far. I'm sure at some point I'll come across someone who will be negative and I'm going to tell them to take a flying leap! I believe I did what was in the best interest of my health and to allow me to have a life to live instead of just being alive.

I had surgery on a Friday and went back to work the following Wednesday for half days until the end of that week. I moved a bit slow and absolutely did not lift anything. I didn't drive myself and I was very pooped at the end of the day. The following Monday, I was back full time. It was a little hard for a day or two, but after that I was fine.

Try not to push yourself too hard. If you get tired, take a break. I would guess if you told your employer about the surgery, they would understand and not punish you for it. Make sure you're getting enough Protein. That's what made a world of difference for me. I'm 1 month out and still have one every morning for Breakfast. Great boost to start the day!

Do what's best for you! Good luck with the journey!

Hi Everyone

I am 46 yrs old, 4 days post op gastric sleeve and very much on my way to my new life! Surgery date: Oct 15, 2013. I'm 5'5" and weighed 268 lbs in August. I was at my GP's office for a check up and when I stepped on the scale and knew I could no longer live morbidly obese. I'd hewed and hawed for almost two yrs prior, also. So, here I am. Day before surgery my wt was 256. I return for post op visit on Oct 25. Your posts are inspiring and let me know I am not alone. I have chosen not to share the sleeve experience w/ my family yet, nor co-workers, although, I am rethinking this. I go back to wk on Monday and starting to worry I haven't taken enough time off. Does anyone have any suggestions abt returning to wk (how you held it together w/out getting to tired) and how you handled the negative feedbk from others about surgery? I appreciate it.

I took three weeks off, but could have taken two. However, we are all different. I will still be on light duty for lifting and I will hover that. I haven't received any negative feedback due to not going back to work yet. If i do...I realize that others opinions only define their internal thoughts and not me. Losing weight will surely make feelings arise in people who struggle with their own weight. Just smile at them and go about your business and your great health path.

Listen to your body it will tell you what you need , it took me almost a full month to get my energy I'm 49 not sure if that's why but going well now almost 5 weeks out , I told pretty much everyone what I was doing and why do I go only good feed back I wouldn't care if anyone said negative , but I don't surround myself with those people any way ... I am loved no matter what size , I know that and am thankful .... Cheers with a Protein Shake to your new way of life welcome to the club. ,,

I appreciate your words of wisdom. Thank you so much! I think I am being harder on myself than anyone else would be. If it comes up in conversation I will own it. I just don't want my surgery to define who I am. I'm excited as heck about this new lease on life God has given me and want to stay healthy on the outside and inside:) Back atcha' w/ a Protein Shake.< /p>