Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second thoughts befor surgery?

Anniegs: I have read a number of postings where people have been emotional right up until they are given the anesthetic. You are taking a step for your future. Hang in there. Doddie

thankyou gaffer, it is posts like yours that keep me going. i know I am doing the right thing but like I said just scared and nervous. you sound like your doing fablous. Is that right , 40 lbs in 17 days? That is amazing. Congrats to you and all the best.

Sherry

That is 40lbs including my 3 weeks pre-op diet, so it is 40lbs from Jan. 24. Still a pretty good loss in my books. My weight loss has slowed from then to about 2lbs per week which I feel pretty good about considering I dont have a fill yet.

I was nervous right up to the time the put me to sleep. As I was standing there in my smurf outfit I was thinking what am I doing.

Dont think of yourself as a failure, but as a success for realizing that the conventional "diet" system is not working for you. You are taking real steps toward success which many people are not prepared to admit they need. People who get the band should be proud that they have admitted they need help with this have gotten real help, not just another diet or magic pill.

Andrew

I was cool until I got on the operating table and then I almost wet myself from blind panic.:) It was a good thing that I hadn't had anything to drink since the night before.

And now I am a thinner and happier grrl.:)

I have to say right before I walked into the surgery suite in the hospital I couldn't beleive I was doing this and moreover paying someone thousands of dollars to do it. I looked at my dad and said am I smoking crack dad to pay someone to cut me open... he looked at me and said we can leave right now just get dressed and we can walk out the door.

I have to say I took a deep breath and got banded regardless of my doubts. I have no regrets about being banded after a ton of adventures and misadventures with my band and if I had to do it all over again tomorrow I would be skipping down that surgery corridor saying put that belt on my tummy lets tighten it up.

Good luck and make sure you are comfortable before you lie down on that table. Nerves are normal, just make sure you don't have any lingering doubts or questions that still need answers by your banded friends or more importantly your surgeon and their staff.

any advise Gaffer for us extremly nervous types ? i mean the days leading up to surgery?

The best advice I can give is to relax and remember all the positive reasons why you are doing this. I was having a bit of a panic moment before I was walked in to the OR. I just talked to my wife, focused on my breathing and told myself that I was going to be alright.

I really believe that the state of mind you enter your surgery in has alot to do with the state you will be in while you are in recovery. Anything you can do to stay calm will benefit you on the other end.

Remember that you are not the first to go through the surgery and that you will be fine. I also reminded myself that this surgery is far less risky than heart attacks, strokes, and what ever other medical problems my weight will give me in the future.

It is natural to be scared, and for many of us our comfort that we have in food cannot be relied upon at this time.

Andrew

It is normal to be concerned and nervous before any surgery, we would not be human if we were not. I failed at so many diets that i knew i was doing the right thing for me, i only had one concern and that was because of my age, lets face it when you are younger you recover quicker, so i was concerned about the recovery time for me. Everything went of so smoothly and recovery time was fast, i also think it helped having a lot of confidence in my surgeon, i was very confident in his ability that i was not worried about the surgery itself. Here i am 10 months later and i am doing great and very very happy. It will be the same for you Sherrylynn and Anniegs. Good luck to you both.

Maria :D

IrishMist your success is awesome. There can be no better advice given than from a person so successful. Congratulations. Doddie

Strangely I was not nervous the day of surgery or even in the OR although walking into the OR and putting yourself on the operating table is a very weird experience. :D

anyway I was really nervous the night before. I thought of things that could go wrong. I questioned my motives and everything and even began to doubt the success I would have. Forget about it! I just had to keep focused on what I wanted, what I hoped would come from the surgery. And well it was weird, the next day I was so calm. Driving to surgery and waiting in the waiting room I was totally Zen. Very strange for me but there you go. So far so good. I am not looking back! :bananajump:

I agree we were all very nervous and that's very normal. The week before my surgery I needed paper work filled out by my family Doctor and in his waiting room was a lady approx 15 years older then myself,she had an oxgen tank strapped to her and walked very slowly with a cain.I'm not sure if the fact she was quite overweight caused either condition but at the very least it was contributing to her struggle now.This vision helped me durring the following week be very confident that the lapband was something I needed to be healthy and certainly eased my jitters.:nervous