Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have 200lbs to lose..

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this and am just in the beginning phases of thinking about a lap band. I have looked at the before and after photos and you all so inspire me. I'm having a difficult time finding information on the success of the lap band with my amount of weight to lose. I am really not interested in the gastric bypass, just really scares me.

Any input is so very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Tasha

Hi Tasha

I started with a total of 210pounds to lose (bmi 60.4), I have lost 63 pounds since november my bmi has dropped by 10. I am losing steadily at the moment ( between 2-3 pounds per week) and I am happy with this- I have virtually no physical activity as I am wheelchair dependant.

I have read some US surgeons sites that state lap band s not suitable for people with higher BMI, the procedure is more challenging for the surgeon sometimes with higher bmi but the research from here in Aus and outside US suggests lapband is a reasonable option for higher bmi individual simply because the surgery itself has less risk. I have seen lots of good results posted for people who started at over 300 pounds and higher. Do your own research, look for articles on databases such as pubmed etc. remember that lap band or SAGB surgery has been used in Aus, europe and Mexico since the mid 90's so you can find some good long term research results ( it has only be approved in US since 2001 i believe)

I wish I could figure out how to post before and after pics, you would be amazed. I am 2 years post op, and have lost 210 pounds, with no real skin issues.

You can do it! If I, king of slackers can, so can you.

I am totaly at my 3 times adjusted goal, and life is so good!

wow 210 in 2 years. that is so great, I love reading success stories like that and with little skin issues? did you work out with weights or do you think it was because it came off slower than the bypass where the weight just falls off. That concerns me because I can''t afford surgery but I keep telling myself that I am doing this to be healthy and either way, skin or no skin, I will be so much better off.

which brings me to my personal opinion about the bypass, I do think it is right for some people and not against it, but personally, I want to absorb the nutrients I need from what I eat and not from pills for the rest of my life. I have been to both types of support groups and I can honestly say that for the most part - the banders looked so much healthier and not as drawn as the bypass people.

I am not saying this to make anyone angry, just giving my opinion on both and why I choose the band.

Good luck to everyone, and either way, everyone in here is a great inspiration and support group!

I had 209 pounds to lose and have lost 84pounds so far. Now only 125 to go. WOOHOOO It can be done. Some just do it faster then others.

Good Luck dear in your endeavor. Tasha do stick around because this is a great board for support.

Teresita

84lbs is great, i've only lost 37 pre surgery as of this point and know how much better I am starting to feel, so you must feel great!

I wish you the best of luck and you are so right, this is a great place for support and encouragement

have a great day!

Tasha (and all), if you haven't seen this thread yet, you might want to check it out. It's a thread for Bandsters who have started at a higher BMI:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/thread-super-sized-t16168.html

It can be done! I've got loads to lose myself. Even if I can't get to my "Met Life Insurance Table" goal, I know that I will be lower in weight and will be healthier with the Band. I will not have to worry about when the awful complications will set in from the bypass. If the surgeon I am consulting with will not band me because of my weight, then I'll find someone else. I will not get the Bypass merely because I have so much to lose. But that is a personal choice.

wow...i went into this proceedure thinking i needed to do this before i have any health issues...luckily as my dr states.."your medical history is pretty boring"...but i weighed 390 pre lap band...was banded 2/26...havent weighed since the day i started the two week pre-diet...and i as i went into the operating room i was thinking...someday i will be able to REALLY dance with my husband...and ride carnival rides with graci...the love of my life, my 16 mth old daughter. i have not given myself a goal...or have any expectations in any sort of time frame. i dont know if this is wrong or not...but in my mind there is no way to be 150 lbs and i dont want to be discouraged by numbers...that is what i have obsessed with all my life and still managed to reach almost 400 lbs...but i see you guys with your tickermeters and i wonder if i too should be keeping track of what and when i lose. i am only 4 days out of surgery, have suffered no nausea, no hunger, and little discomfort..i feel so lucky to have been able to be banded and i believe that 200lbs or more is a thread that i want to have access to because we are the ones that have suffered so....physically, emotionally, to be where we were pre-band...and with such a huge amount to lose, it is through the encouragement of others that we feel able to keep going, at least for me...sorry to ramble, it just feels good to get some of this off my chest.....

Jennifur yeah 84 pounds is great but I have been banded for 1 year and 7 months. I wanted to further along then this but I see what I have been doing wrong and I can and will correct it.

wlgbean it is great to keep a chart of your weigh ins at least monthly so you can look back when necessary to see where you have been and where you are going. Keep a some type of log or journal it is reall helpful.

wow...i went into this proceedure thinking i needed to do this before i have any health issues...luckily as my dr states.."your medical history is pretty boring"...but i weighed 390 pre lap band...was banded 2/26...havent weighed since the day i started the two week pre-diet...and i as i went into the operating room i was thinking...someday i will be able to REALLY dance with my husband...and ride carnival rides with graci...the love of my life, my 16 mth old daughter. i have not given myself a goal...or have any expectations in any sort of time frame. i dont know if this is wrong or not...but in my mind there is no way to be 150 lbs and i dont want to be discouraged by numbers...that is what i have obsessed with all my life and still managed to reach almost 400 lbs...but i see you guys with your tickermeters and i wonder if i too should be keeping track of what and when i lose. i am only 4 days out of surgery, have suffered no nausea, no hunger, and little discomfort..i feel so lucky to have been able to be banded and i believe that 200lbs or more is a thread that i want to have access to because we are the ones that have suffered so....physically, emotionally, to be where we were pre-band...and with such a huge amount to lose, it is through the encouragement of others that we feel able to keep going, at least for me...sorry to ramble, it just feels good to get some of this off my chest.....

I feel the same way, I had over 200lbs to lose, I still have about 25 more pounds to go after I meet my ticker's goal because my dr. wants me under 180:faint:

I started the whole process at 358 thinking I had to lose about 200 lbs... my doc thinks my goal should be closer to 170 than 150 - so I guess I am aiming for somewhere in the middle.

It seems like such a huge number when you start.... so break it down into mini-goals. Doable numbers like 25 pounds and go from there.

I have also decided that if I can get anywhere under 200 lbs - I will be just fine - so if for some reason I stall out at 199 - I will be OK with that.

I know that prior to hearing about the band, I had basically given up on weightloss, since I could never even get the weight all off, and I could never get it to STAY off. I had decided that the YoYo thing was worse than just being consistently fat. The band is a miracle for me, cause it is really designed to stay with us for a long, long time - if not forever. Maintenance is the hardest part....

I think the key is to try and be as realistic as possible. I figure any weight I lose and keep off is going to benefit my health - so even after only about 61 lbs, I am a winner!

Y'All are doing great!! Keep up the good work and stay positive.

It is so wonderful to hear some voices of experience I have been very solitary with the lap band subject to those around me. My biggest fear is that I have "ruined myself", that I let my weight get so out of hand that there is no help for me. I am very fortunate that at the present time I have no health issues, other than it's getting more and more difficult to maintain the energy level I need to work.

I have decided to attend a seminar about Lap Band. It's next week so I'm going to keep educating myself over the weekend.

Thank you all for you help... I'm so very pleased I have found this sight.

Tasha

Renebean, before the band I had too just had given up on permanent weightloss, because I knew I could not have gastic bypass:eek: Thank God for the band, because now I can see the light.:biggrin1:

I agree, I only set the Ticker because that is where I want to be, if i get down to 200lbs I will be happy( I was there for a long time and happy with e at a size 14) 175 I will be more than happy but my surgeon said 140 is where I should be but probably wont get. So I figured to set my goal at 175 I was reaching for something great and reachable, and when I get there, who knows I might reset it.

Just a personal thing to feel like I am accomplishing something and have something to work towards, but not set in stone!

Teresita - I do understand and not discouraging at all, but 84lbs is a great accomplishment and I am sure you will figure it out. My dr requires regular visists to the nutritionist after and I think that is very important.

I'm having a difficult time finding information on the success of the lap band with my amount of weight to lose. I am really not interested in the gastric bypass, just really scares me.
Hi tasha111. When I got my band, I had 202 lbs to lose to hit my personal goal. Yesterday was my 1 year band anniversary and I'm down a total of 130 lbs (ok, 129, but who's counting?!?). I was very reluctant to do this because it seemed like most people getting banded weighed closer to my goal weight than my starting weight! So I actually hopped on another board and posted in the lapband section about people with 200+ lbs to lose, and I got SOOO many positive responses.

And then (because this is me, afterall) there's always the logical approach. The amount of weight you lose is only limited by the effort you put into losing it. It's not like each band comes pre-packaged with a set amount of pounds the recipient will be able to shed. I truly believe that it doesn't matter if you have 10 lbs to lose, or 500, the band will HELP you get there, but it will not get you there on its own.