Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Starving!!!!!

Is this normal? My surgery was on the 19th. I was supposed to have 3 days of Clear Liquids, followed by 14 days of any liquids, then 2 weeks of mushies? I'm hungry ALL the time on liquids. I've even cheated some and Soup that I didn't puree. I chew it very well though. What can I do? I see my doctor tomorrow for my first follow up. Please tell me it gets better on the mushie stage -- or do I have to wait for a fill before I'm not hungry all the time?

And on top of all that, I've only lost like 6 or 7 pounds since the surgery on the 19th! A lot of you look like you lose alot faster than that. Why am I not losing more?

I hear ya, I had a couple of days that I could of eatin a cow, its funny how each dr have different diets, i banded on the 22, 7 days of Clear Liquids, then another 7 with the same but add some Soup and 2 slimfast a day, never thought slimfast would taste so good, i just added soap today I think I am more hungry then when I was just on clear liquids, but what has helped me alot is drinking hot tea which is hard for me I was a diet coke drinker, and I got some of those sugar free fudgecicles and they really help and when I get hungry I try to find something to take my mind off of it and being at home it hasn't been easy, Just stay positive some days are better then others!

I was about starving after week 2-3 also. You just have to tough it out until you get back to real food - and in fact it stays tough until you get that first fill. Then it gets easier.

Stay Strong!! You can do it!

Hello there! This is completely normal!

Most surgeons don't put anything in the band at the time of surgery due to the swelling that's created from the actual surgery. Because of this you will more than likely have absolutely no restriction and have quite an appetite...I lovingly call this BANDSTER HELL!

When you start eating more solid foods you should be more satisfied, but don't be alarmed if you can still eat quite a bit. Also I tell my pt's that any weight you lose before you start getting adjusted is just a bonus.

I know (from experience) the beginnings of the band is very frustrating....weight loss is slow...no restriction...but keep plugging along! I'm 2 years out 100# down and have not gained a pound back (which believe me hasn't been true since coming out of the womb!)

Please feel free to ask any questions!

Erin L. Hurst, RD, LD :)

Thank God it is normal to feel hungry! I could eat an entire cow right now! I can't wait to get filled!!! :hungry::)

I'm 2 wks post op. If I eat something small every 2 hours, it keeps that ravenous hunger at bay. But boy, if it's 2 hours, 15 minutes, watch out!

This is probably my doc told me to eat 5 times a day lol

I know the feeling I am on day 8 and feeling the same way but I just keep

telling myself that this too shall pass...thy sipping on somthing every 15 mins or so this helps me alot.... also what help is eating every two hrs so the beast wont take over hang in there it get better...i hope

Can't wait till I get a fill. I have been eating what I am supposed to be eating but I am SOOOOO hungry. I feel like I can eat anything but I don't want to mess anything up so I have been sticking with the rules. Honest though I am counting down to the first fill.

Oh also I have been working on trying to identify when I am hungry and just head hungry. It is still a struggle but this post op experience has been helpful in figuring it out.

I keep telling myself my stomach isn't hungry my throat is, I have to keep busy to keep my mind off of it, sometimes I just miss eating.

I just realized today, I think a lot of what we think is hunger, is really gas or food and beverage passing through because right after I ate lunch my stomach was rumbling. I heard this somewhere too but didn't really believe untill it happen to me right after I ate. I guess its something we will have to deal with and remember to ask our self is it really hunger.

It is natural that you are 'starving'. Your body will slowly adjust after several fills. I too cheated, but felt rather guilty afterwards. We all spend thousands of dollars getting the band - keep it SAFE! In all honesty, I was 'starving' regularly until after my THIRD FILL! (I guess thats why we are suppose to get fills in the first place!). As in the weight loss - I am my first year anniversery this March. I have only really began to lose in late October (6 months post op) because I had finally gotten the right amount of fill (this was my third fill). It was a depressing summer stepping on the scale and teetering 2-3 pounds but never lost any weight - and I was hungry! Oooops - I am not suppose to say hungry. My dietition pounded in to my head you need to seperate MENTAL HUNGAR and PHYSICAL HUNGAR. Eat when you have the physical hunger (which I ate more likely to the mental hungar). And I probably most times continue to eat when I am mentally hungry and not suppose to (it is why we are in our situation we already are). Please, please please be patient! I promise after your Dr. tweeks your band with the right amount of fill you will see results. The golden rule of lap band - 1-2 pounds a week, 50 - 60 pounds per year. I did hit my 60 pounds a year! It came on the second half of my first year. I will also continue to lose post one year, so everything looks grand from here! My Husband is going through the same thing you are experiencing - I promise to the both of you, BE PATIENT! It will happen! (ps, follow up with your Dr. regularly so he/she can fill and unfill to meet your needs so you can reach your goal quicker!) Hang in there, keep your head up! It will happen! Good Luck!:clap2:

I rec. that my pt's stay around 60 carbs per day. The Protein is figured out based on your goal weight. If you send me that I can figure it out and let you know. You also want to keep your fat intake less than 25 grams per day and make sure that you are drinking about 6-8 cups of fluids per day.

e

I should have mentioned that skim milk is on my doctor's approved clear liquid list. I'm not sure why, I agree it's not a clear liquid per se, but I do seem to be tolerating it all right.