Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Myths or Reality?

Hi - I had surgery 8 months ago and am recently wondering about some of the "strict" guidelines on nutrition that were offered when I started this process. Specifically, we were all told that post surgery we had to drink tons of Water, we had to eat tons of Protein, we couldn't eat carbohydrates - Pasta, bread, candy, we had to stick to 3 meals per day, no Snacks, we had to chew our foods excessively, to name a few (if not all).

Now, all these make great sense and are healthy choices, and for RnY I can see why they are rules, but for sleevers - whats the big deal? As long as we moderate, why can't we have Pasta? Its not like we have the RnY small opening that can get clogged. Do we get more dehydrated with a sleeve than before? Why do we have to drink excessively? I understand why we need to chew extra, I think?

Are they just trying to scare us into the most healthy diet or are there good reasons for these "rules?"

My plan is very different then yours. The only thing my nut said was to hit 60 grams of Protein a day and to drink 8 glasses of Water. That's what I do, and I am 19 lbs from goal in 8.5 months.

Also I am supposed to eat 3 meals and 2-3 Snacks a day.

My surgical office hasn't been doing the sleeve all that long, and all their documentation was for the Gastric ByPass, a lot of it doesn't apply to what we can do longer term. I learned to ask "why" for things that didn't make sense to me and if they didn't have a good explanation, then I decided for myself what was best. For example the surgical coordinator makes a big deal about no sugar, including the "hidden sugars" in processed products. I decided that I would limit my sugar in take, but that I could have ketchup and BBQ Sauce if needed, and I haven't had any problems. I know that if I stop losing weight that I can cut my carbs, but I am very happy with the 2 pounds per week I am losing. The bottom line is that you have to decide for yourself how to use the "tool" of the gastric sleeve!

It was suggested by my office that we limit carbs initially because our weight loss will be easier that way, and they don't want anything getting in the way of the Protein intake. We are were told to drink 64 oz. a day (including protein shakes) and 3 meals with 3 Snacks.< /p>

The reason for drinking lots of Water is you are missing out on a great deal of Water intake from your lack of food. Not to mention ample water is a key element in burning fat.

So...."absolute rules?" Maybe not. But good ideas for decent health, success and weight loss....yes.

I think most docs approach it from the aspect of ....we've failed on our own and now we need their help. So they wanna take the guess work away from us and give us some rules to follow that will work. Some of those rules are obviously better than others.

Very well said, Butterthebean! That's exactly right! Obviously, we need help and guidelines, also, (not trying to be rude), we don't have 12 years of medical school!!

The other rule is no drinking with meals. There are lots of post on that topic. Drinking at least 10 minutes before meals and you'll feel full faster. If you eat with your meal., you will wash your food out of your stomach and experience hunger shortly thereafter.. then you'll eat more, there by adding calories and eventually stop your weight loss and even go to weight gain. Many surgeons and NUTS give varying advice bot most are consistent with following a high Protein and low carb way of eating for life. Low sugar often relates to low junk food, sweets, Desserts which of course will add to weight gain. Protein helps weight loss ( I forget why but I'm pretty sure it helps ). There are usually reasons for the guidelines. ONce you reach your goal weight you eating lifestyle will be what works for you. Be sure its still a healthy way of eating or you will gain weight and that is not a sleeve myth.. that is a sleeve fact. Good Luck with your journey.

My doc says bread, rice, and Pasta continue to swell in your stomach - plus its got a lot of carbs.

Thanks all - re: Susis - just because MDs have extensive education doesn't mean they are always right or don't have cotton in their ears and aren't prone to assuming they know what we are going to say and hence prone to making big decisions based on incomplete information. I never assume that MDs know what they are saying. They are too rushed, under-paid and egotistical to trust, just because they were crazy enough to go through medical school. IMHO...

Another thought on the chewing... The majority of your stomach has been removed and the stomach provides some mechanical digestion by breaking up what you swallow into smaller pieces. With the much smaller stomach, that mechanism is not as effective so extra chewing is a good idea.

The rules are great but in my opinion not forever it's just a guideline to get you to the point where u kno what works for "your " sleeve not everyone have same one stomach tolerated the same things find your sweet spot and go with that

Some people respond better to very restricted carbs versus others. I am recommended 120g a day tops and I usually get 70-90. Protein is a must so you don't lose muscle, only fat. Plus it helps you heal and recover faster.

Certain things I can't eat and it's not because of what they say. bread upsets my stomach. I still eat pita chips and sometimes (GASP!) I have thin crust pizza. Do what works for you.