Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year mark :)

As I approached my one year mark 10/30 since having the surgery I have had time to think about how my life has changed!!

I have been off caffeine for over a year stopped back on October 8, 2012. It was a lot easier then I thought. I went cold turkey after realizing that I was drinking 3-4 large mc Donald's cokes a day, which I still have no idea how much caffeine is in that let alone sugar.

I started on oct 30, 2012 weighing 242.5lbs at only 21. I am now 22 and weigh 193.4lbs I am 1.65lbs away from being half way to my goal weight. I couldn't be happier!

My mom got her weight loss surgery (bypass) in March 2013 and has hit her half way mark last week! It has been amazing going through this experience with her and I can't wait until we get to do the boulder bolder 10K next year together and for her and my dad to be around for many many more year and get to see my children grow up and be able to play with them (once I have kids)

I jogged in the Memorial Day boulder bolder 10K and finished in less then 2 hrs which was better then I ever expected and such an amazing high. I have been hiking a ton and really found a passion for the outdoors! I also did the color run 5K this summer with friends and really enjoyed myself.

Before I had the surgery I was busting out of my work uniform and with in two weeks after the surgery I had to go get new pants because mine were to big! I noticed recently that my pants now are starting to get really loose but I plan to wait to get new ones until later so I don't have to make the hour drive to the main office to get more in a month. I have went from wearing a very tight size 18 to a loose size 16 and have had to get several new shirts! :)

The most amazing thing that has happened to me since this surgery is..... My PCOS is clearing up and I will be able to have kids now!! :). I was told when I was 16 (shortly after I found out my best friend was pregnant) that I had PCOS and the effects may have caused me to never be able to have kids due to scarring. I was devastated as I have always wanted kids and have been around kids my entire life thanks to my moms daycare. My periods were so irregular that I would go 6-8 months without one and then get really sick due to blood poisoning and have to be hospitalized for 4 weeks. I have no side effects such as scarring and I am off all medicine for PCOS! Even though I don't plan to have children for a few more years I am so excited that it will be 80% easier to have them without treatments or adoption! :)

Unfortunately over the past couple of days I have had a serious issue with waking up choking and coughing. It has gotten increasingly worse since I first noticed it and I have begun to get worried that I have a slip. I see my dr tomorrow. They seemed worried that with my sleep apnea (that has gotten better but not fully) combined with a slip could cause me not to wake up and cough but instead possibly choke in my sleep! :( I'm thankful that my mom will be staying with me tonight and keeping an eye on me until the dr can see me tomorrow.

I can't wait to see what the next year and years after that bring for me! I hope to be closer to my goal weight by June for my college graduation! :)

Nykol Jefferson

(One happy banded person)

Congratulations !!!! You're awesome !! Keep up the good work, you'll get there ! Way to go to your mom too ! Great job to all of you !!