Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new member...road block...

i'S MONEY WELL SPENT, BUT LOOK FOR A BETTER DEAL BEFOR EYOU SPEND IT...THEN GO FOR IT. There's one person here who came down to Houston and rented a house on the beach in Galveston. She's all by herself but had her surgery with Dr. Spivak, who makes it hassle free. Lots of folks here say good things about Ortiz in Mexico. Just do it!

I had my surgery in Monterrey Mexico by Dr Javier De La Garza. I would do it all again there if I had to. Check out his credentials online. My surgery cost me 8750 including 2 nights in a hotel and 1 night in the hospital plus airfare. Just so you know, u do have other options.....Good Luck to you and remember it's gonna chance your life for the better.

Christy,

I was banded in Dalton, GA by Dr. Ponce. I have had many different types of surgery but I think he is an excellent surgeon who wants his patients to do well. I know that there are other less expense options so I encourage you to explore those as well. I understand your struggle but I also understand the hardships of living with obesity. Best wishes

Casper2101

banded 08/26/2006

lost 55 lbs

I made it through the day (with a lot of prayer) and consumed under 1000 healthy calories and walked just under a mile in 30 minutes (sad, huh??? - in junior high I could do an 8 minute mile).

The REALLY good news is that my Dad wants to chip in the extra $5000 for me to go ahead and get the surgery in the hospital facility (rather than the non-hospital facility).

Now it's time for nervousness and doubts...$18,000+ is SO MUCH MONEY!! I'm actually considering Mexico - if anyone wants to chime in on good or bad experiences there, please do..I'd like to examine both sides!

I am spending that as well. I know it seems like a lot of cash but I figured how much I've spent thus far trying to keep the weight off and it was a lot more. I've been able to lose it, but it just came back. I thought of Mexico but decided against it. I am also in the higher end for BMI and feel much more comfortable with my reputable Dr. in the United States in a full fledged hospital.

I had my band done in a hospital in Dallas and the total cost for all test and surgery was 12,500. It was done in a small but VERY clean hospital.

There are other places.

Good luck and keep positive.

The price seems to be starting to drop a bit. I paid $15000 in November and my Dr. has dropped his fee since then. I'm like you. I thought about Mexico since I'm self pay but felt safer in the USA. But I've also read about lots of successes in Mexico....lots of people here went to Dr. Ortiz.

Here's another thing to consider. My $15000 also pays for a year of fills, and if I lose half my unwanted weight during the first year, mt second year of fills is free. If you go to Mexico and then find a fill doctor here, you'll pay for each fill.

I lived in Chattanooga for 15 years and just moved away a little over a year ago. I went to Dr. Ponce's seminar and even did the Physician Supervised Weight Loss Program through Memorial Hospital. At the time, there was no way for me to afford the Lap Band. Then, we moved to Pennsylvania and our circumstances changed. My family really pushed for me to go back to Chattanooga and have Dr. Ponce do the surgery because he is so well-respected in the field. After a lot of thought and prayer, I decided to stay closer to home. The price was going to be about the same for self-pay (hospital here and surgery center in Dalton).

I was finally banded on 2/19/07 and have been doing great. The Weight Loss Center in Harrisburg and the Community General Hospital were great. My husband is about to be banded in just a few weeks.

My thought is, if you feel comfortable with Dr. Ponce and Memorial and you already have the money, go for it and don't give it a second thought- just be thankful God provided a way. If money is a big issue, talk to your family and research where you might want to go to save a few thousand. My total cost was $12,500. Even that is a lot of money, but the way I look at it is that over the course of a year the savings in prescriptions and food will about cover it. And, you either pay that money now, or in the future have some serious health problems that will cost you a lot more. I hope you can come to a point where you feel comfortable about your decision and can get excited about all the new possibilities.

It has only been 2 weeks for me since I was banded and already 3 people at church yesterday told me they could really tell I've lost some weight! It felt so good to hear that!!!! Whoever you decide to use, just do it -- I don't think you'll regret it.

Hello to anyone who's keeping track...We have a surgery date!!! I say "we", because my hubby is going to have his as well!! We're going to Dr. Rumbaut in Monterry and our surgeries will be April 12 - for $1000 more than it would have cost for just me to have it here in Chattanooga!! We're pretty excited!

In preparation for the surgery, we are really watching our calories (daily - 1100 or less for me and 1600 or less for him) and we are walking for 30 minutes everyday.

We start the pre-op liquid diet 10 days before the surgery. Other than what we are already doing, does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm open to anything anyone has to offer!

Thanks for all the support!

Christy

<><

weight.png

Congratulations!!! You two will be awesome support for one another. Keep in mind men lose faster, so don't let it get you down.

If I had any suggestions, they would be to begin eliminating any caffeine---it gives you a major headache to go cold turkey if you are used to having it. Also give up carbonation....and begin cutting out the carbs....the more carbs you eat, the more you want, when you get them cut from your diet, you will find less cravings for them especially when you go to liquids only.

Walking is an excellent way to get prepared, and a great habit to develop for post surgery too!

The more Protein you get following the surgery the better you will heal, and there are all kinds of Protein drinks and shakes out there---so now is a good time to begin taste testing some, to see what you like and want to stock up on for the days following surgery.

Pack very light for your trip---you will neither one feel like lugging a heavy suitcase, so be on the lookout for ways to economize space and weight.

If I think of anything else I will pop back in!!!

Congrats!!!

Kat

I went to Monterrey in Nov 06 for the surgery. I brought a friend who spoke spanish. The nurses in the hospital didn't speak any english so bring a translation book if u don't speak spanish. All the docs and patient coordinators spoke perfect english tho. Wear comfy clothes. We went a day early and spent the night in a hotel. It's a great city to check out.

Keep us posted. Kelley

Christy..

Congrats on your choice!

You seem to have made a great start! Like Kat said.. Drop the caffeine (especially soda)... Walk, walk, walk, and try to start eating the "bandster" way little by little so it becomes natural... Get in your Water as well...

Good luck!

Sherry