Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question and Advice

Hello!

I'm waiting on approval for my lap band surgery. I expect to get the approval in about two weeks. From there I"ll be about 6 weeks out from surgery, which puts me around mid-April.

Here's where I need advice...

My husband wants me to accompany him on a business trip to Las Vegas the 1st weekend in May. By my calculations, I'll be 2-3 weeks post-op. I'm thinking that it would be a bad idea to try to do an out-of-town trip when I'm barely getting back to solid foods... what do you think?:help:

At 2 wks I would've been a little nervous but 3 wks you should be fine. It really all depends on the person and how well they recover. Good luck.

I think you could do it with a little proper prior planning and putting together a little "survival pack" of appropriate foods (baby food containers or Protein mixes, etc) to discreetly take along in case there's nothing on the menu (like if it's a business dinner) that meets your needs. My wife and I are going to Atlanta this weekend and that's my plan. I'm 8 days post-op and introducing regular foods as tolerated (as per doc's instructions) and haven't had a problem so far...I do limit how much per bite/meal/day pretty severely at this point and chew to the point of mush as all good banders should. By the time everyone else is finishing their Entrees and desert I'm just about finished with a very small piece of fish.

I do defer to the judgement of the more experienced members on board as their mileage, as yours, may vary.

Ultimately you should consult with your surgeon about your options and limitations.

I could have done it with no problems. Most restaurants offer Soups if nothing else...and in Vegas...with all the buffets---you won't eat much, but you should easily find things to eat. I agree, I would take my Protein Shakes, and some back up food, but I'd go for it and plan on having a great time!!! I LOVE Vegas!!!

Kat

Hello!

I'm waiting on approval for my lap band surgery. I expect to get the approval in about two weeks. From there I"ll be about 6 weeks out from surgery, which puts me around mid-April.

My husband wants me to accompany him on a business trip to Las Vegas the 1st weekend in May. By my calculations, I'll be 2-3 weeks post-op. I'm thinking that it would be a bad idea to try to do an out-of-town trip when I'm barely getting back to solid foods... what do you think?:help:

I went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans 2 and half weeks out and did fine. They have so many fish dishes that it was not a problem. I don't know if I would do it within the first two weeks as I felt tired and didn't have much energy for about two weeks. After that it should be fine. Good luck and have fun if you decide to go.

Congrats on your decision to have the surgery.

Thank you all for your great answers! I have decided not to go, as I can't be assured as to when my surgery would be scheduled. It could be as late as the end of April, or early May. I figured I'd not chance it... we'll take a trip after I thin down a bit! :)

Nvgirl:

You are going to be amazed at how quickly you recover, but you will know about 2 days after surgery, so my advice is: can you commit 2 days after surgery?