Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - Solids aren't solid.

Hi - I had lapband surgery Jan 9, 2007. Although it's improved a lot of my behaviors, I've noticed a big problem. I hope fills will help, but am very worried. Foods I pictured as solid before the surgery, are liquifying so much when chewed that they go down as liquids do. Things from peanuts to chips. I know we aren't supposed to eat foods such as chips or cake, but I was so excited that there would be Portion Control. Unfortunately, all these foods that I thought would be solids aren't. I am using self control to eat the Protein and control myself, but this has really put a damper on things. Anyone out there going through this? Do the fills eventually reduce the ability of these carbs to go through so easily? I knew that something like a milkshake or chocolate would go down, but I always envisioned food that needed chewing would cause a restricted feeling. I was wrong. I would be in the slow loser category mentioned on the board because of this. I do fine when I have restriction and have no choice, but when a food gives me the choice. . . This was an unexpected thing that I hope the fills eventually reduce. Thank you ahead of time for any help in this experience.

Certainly a fill will help to some extent, but unfortunately, things like chocolate and cheetos goes down easily even with proper restriction. This troubled me at first(and still does to some extent). I thought I did a lot of research before getting my band, but I think I ignored some things that I should have paid closer attention to. I thought the band would restrict my portions as well. They said you would be able to eat 1/3 of what you used to eat. So I used to eat a whole pizza, now I should be able to get full after a slice or 2, right? I can't even eat pizza! That is just an example. I do like that the band makes me full sooner and that I have lost a good deal of weight, but it certainly isn't as easy as I dreamed. I'm sure everyone is as sick of hearing it as me, but the band is a TOOL and you can use it and work with it or throw it down on the garage floor....

I understand exactly what you're talking about. I feel that way, too. I've had one fill and still don't have any restriction. Everything just passes right through. And the more I chew, the more quickly is passes through. I'm actually making an effort not to chew my food as well as I should in hopes that it will fill my pouch and give me that full feeling sooner. I'm probably going to regret that when I get another fill and have restriction, but I figure all of this is a learning process. And what works for one person does not work for another.

Sadly chips will alwasy slide through pretty easily. But solid protien stays with me for hours. I can only eat 1/2 cup at a time and it keeps me full for 3 hours! When your pouch is full of protien you won't be able to eat the crap, so eat your protien first. Also you will find that if you don't eat the protien then you will feel really tired, which will nip that little habit in the bud. Just be patient, it takes time to reach restriction where the band actually starts helping you. In the meantime do your best to make good choices. As for 1/3 of the old days, not even close, cause I ate a lot more than a cup of food at a time that's for dang sure.

meat and bread are the best foods for me to keep me full for literally hours. Everything else goes through quickly. I fill up quickly but I dont stay full, I've kind of learned to just live with that. Staying full for 4 hours after eating never happens for me. But same as before, a cup of coffee or a drink can take the edge of my appetite if I'm hungry and I just ignore it till mealtime.

YIKES!

I don't know what diets you guys were told about.. I am not "allowed" Pasta, bread, pizza, crackers, chips, Cookies etc etc etc.. I was told that the band is only a tool and if I continued to eat those things, it just wont work right.. If you find something that easily breaks down in Water, you are not supposed to eat it.

I know, easier said that done.. but my doc said to me, "I can fix your stomach, but I can't fix your head"..

It is work.. for sure.. and the band wont cure eating habits.. only you can do that.

I understand though.. I am finally restricted to where I should be and am having a hell of a time with Proteins. I chew the heck out of it and it sometimes still gets stuck.

Even though I have my band and am very happy to have it, I know that what it takes to lose weight is within me.. no band is going to magically make it go away.. restriction is good.. but if you eat stuff that flies right thru, you are not restricted for long and hungry again.

Ok.. done now.. LOL

~Donnamarie~

Its pretty much everything in moderation in Australia. We dont do the Protein first thing. Moderation works, you dont have to give up all carbs to lose weight. bread in fact is the most satisfying food for me becuase it sticks around for hours.

But my idea of moderation now is a tiny piece of Eliza's birthday cake yesterday, not a packet of sweet biscuits and a bag of chips every day.