Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SleevePlicationTalk Newsletter 07/22/2012

Hey, SleevePlicationTalk members!

We’re into the long, lazy days of summer – but there’s plenty going on at SleevePlicationTalk.com! So why don’t you use this newsletter as a reminder to get on over to the boards? It’ll help you stay on track or motivate you to get back on board if you’ve gotten off track a little. Here’s what you’ll find in this newsletter.

• Burning question: What’s the Big Deal about Protein?

• Member Spotlight: We Stand Corrected over Pranjala's Story!

• Sleever Challenge: Record Your Diet!

• Become a Board Expert: How to Get More Involved

We hope you’re having a great summer and feeling great about meeting your weight loss and healthy lifestyle goals. Enjoy the newsletter, and of course please contact me any time with suggestions, comments or any other feedback. See you on the boards!

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder

SleevePlicationTalk.com

Burning Question: What’s the Big Deal about Protein?

Okay, anyone who’s gotten weight loss surgery or who is seriously thinking about it has probably already heard a ton about protein. You’re supposed to get about 60 to 80 grams per day, and eat your protein foods first at each meal so that you finish them before getting full. Also, your Breakfast should be high in protein to give you a good start for the day.

But why is protein so important? First, it’s an essential nutrient for your immune system and as a part of your muscles, skin, bones and other body tissues. But it’s even more important when you’re losing weight so fast, like you are after your sleeve plication procedure. When you lose weight, you’re losing body fat, of course. But if you’re not careful to get enough protein, you’re going to lose a noticeable amount of lean body mass, too. That means you’ll lose some muscle mass and your metabolism will slow down.

Another benefit of protein is that it actually helps you stick to your low-calorie post-surgery diet so that you lose weight faster. Protein takes a longer time to digest than carbohydrates. That means that eating a high-protein meal will help you stay full for longer than a high-carbohydrate meal without much protein. So don’t forget to hit your protein at each meal! Aim for one to two servings per meal, and if you have a snack, include some protein.

What are the best sources of protein? Stay tuned for the answer coming up in a future newsletter!

If you have a burning question that you’d like to see answered in the newsletter, just send Alex a PM over in the forums. It can be about anything – sleeve plication problems, food, fitness, weight loss, health…just let us know!

Member Spotlight – We Have a Correction!

In the last newsletter, we featured Prandala in the Member Spotlight section. In case you missed her great story, you can go back and read it in the old newsletter section. But, we made a mistake. Prandala actually got her sleeveplication done in India through the Bariatrics and Metabolism Initiative (BMI), and not in the U.S. as we stated. Our apologies for the mix-up, and thanks for pointing it out to us!

We feature a different SleevePlicationTalk.com member each week in our Member Spotlight section. Let us know in the member spotlight forum if there’s someone you want to learn more about or if you want to be our spotlighted member! Nominating yourself isn’t bragging. We all want to learn more about you if you’re willing to share your trials, triumphs, tricks and tips! If you’re shy, just PM Alex with the message that you want to be in the spotlight. Thanks!

Sleever Challenge – Record Your Diet!

Each newsletter, we challenge you with another Sleever Challenge. It’s a chance to push yourself a little outside of your comfort zone or get you thinking about ways to make your weight loss journey even more successful. The challenge can inspire you to try things that you’d never thought about but that can make you more successful and confident in your weight loss journey. The challenge is completely non-competitive, but we hope you’ll post your results in the Challenge Forum so that other members can be motivated by your own challenge actions.

Study after study proves that the most successful losers – and maintainers – record their diets. If you don’t already do it, now’s a good time to get into the habit. This newsletter’s challenge is for you to record your diet for three days. Include what you eat, how much and what time you had each meal and snack. You can also put in details like how hungry you were before you ate and afterwards, whether you ate exactly what you’d planned, and whether you were eating with people or alone.

Did you learn anything new about your diet? Is there anything you can change so that your choices are healthier? Let us know how it went in the Challenge Forum! There, you can always look back at the previous challenges and post your results. It’s never too late to try something new.

Better Boarding Tips – Getting into the Swing of Things

For some members, jumping right into the conversations on the board feels natural. You know exactly what to say and have no trouble asking for help and providing your own support. For the rest of us, it can be a little tougher. We may not always know what to say to someone who needs help or how to reach out for support when we need it. How can you improve your social boarding skills? Practice!

The more you post, the more comfortable you’ll feel. Start by filling in your profile, if you haven’t already. Head on over to the Tell Your Story Forum (or you can get there from the front page) and welcome a few new members. Then browse the forums until you see some topics that call to you. You might be able to answer some member questions about food choices or some of the pros and cons that you’ve experienced with your weight loss surgery. You’ll soon feel like an old pro with so much practice, and the other members will sure appreciate your input!

That’s about it for this week’s newsletter. You can always find the old newsletters in the newsletter forum if you ever miss one.

Thanks as always for your support, and we’re looking forward to seeing you out on the boards! Take care of yourself and each other,

Alex

==============================================================

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you may unsubscribe by going to your Control Panel and clicking on the Newsletters tab, or clicking on the following link: http://www.sleevepli...&tab=newsletter