Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy One Month Anniversary To Me!

Today, March 15th makes one month since my gastric plication with Dr. Ortiz at OCC in Tijuana Mexico. here is a link to my lengthy post from the start http://www.sleeveplicationtalk.com/topic/191-day-4-and-counting-after-gastric-sleeve-plication-surgery/

There are so many reasons to Celebrate and some lingering unwarranted causes for concern so here I go.

Since my last post, I have dropped down to 160lbs, I fluctuate based on Water retention but never more than 162 which is thrilling. During this time i have travelled quite a bit. Much of which has been a true test of this surgery and my will power. WOW Mind over Matter! insane. I went to San Fran with a group of friends of which very few knew about my surgery and i am not going to lie, it was hard. I could only eat Soups at the time and soft foods, such as yogurts and heavier Soups. I spoke to the doc about wine and he said if i could tolerate creamy soups that a little bit of wine would be ok but to test it out little by little and see how i felt. I didn't drink much, i have never been a drinker and on our first tour stop i had maybe max 1oz of wine, it went down fine but i just did not crave it. instead to participate i held an ice cold glass of Water which i sipped throughout the excursion. The wineries only charged for half the tour price since i did not consume wine. San Francisco and Napa were a great destination because CA is so healthy in general - lots of great soups, juice bars and healthy spots. Unfortunately not all places had a plethora of options for Soup, i was pretty OVER the Clam Chowder by my 3rd cup, but something is better than nothing. One of my biggest tricks i can share is my CUP OF NOODLES in my purse at all times...when we were driving from San Fran down the pacific coast highway, there were not many Soup places to stop at and we simply stopped, got some hot water from a starbucks for tea and there i was well on my way to consuming something to hold me over. The anxiety i had from eating in front of others still exists, especially those that do not know. They just don't understand how i am full, knowing my eating habits.

As an example today i went to my have lunch salad spot, pre-surgery 134andhappy i would have half a chicken sandwich on french baguette, a cup of broccoli and cheese, and half a salad or a variation of that without the soup. I would feel satisfied and still a pretty healthy meal. Today, i could barely eat half a cup of the broccoli with cheese i was soo full and there in front of me was my friend wondering WTF is happening here. Another post op anxiety factor, drinking and eating. I have to wait 1hr pre and post either eating or drinking and its insane, at lunch i gulped water only to realize half way and spitting it back out. I had to pretend i had a lemon seed in my water. Horrible.

I travelled again last week to CT, that was not as easy as CA because it does not have such a large variety of healthy food stores and juice bars. Instead there is a dunkin donuts or starbucks in every corner. The worst part of this trip was the event i was participating in on Sunday had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING i could eat, no soup, no mashed potatoes. Here we go again, thank goodness for my handy dandy cup of noodles. added water and voila. held me over until i could get to the nearest soup destination.

So here we are one month later. I started back up with my trainer on Tuesday and i am most excited about that. My weight loss had definitely been at a standstill meaning not as aggressive as the first few weeks but still losing little by little - and i predict with my workouts even more to come soon. I am glad it is coming off slowly, i am scared of sagging skin and just not looking healthy, rather a small version of my old self and that is not what i went to this extreme to accomplish. I want it all and i will have it all. Healthy mind and body.

My one month anniversary present came last night, when i went to ZARA at the mall and bought 2 new outfits. even though i have not wanted to buy anything since i know i will continue to lose weight, but nothing fits anymore, i look like I'm wearing borrowed clothes sometimes. But both pants i bought were a size 8!~~ OMMGGGG SOO HAPPY. The jackets are still a large but lets face it ZARA is practically made for adolescent teens, i am just thrilled to fit so well into the clothes. Today i wore a stunning fitted light pink jacket with my skinny black trousers SIZE 8! and my light pink heels. Everyone had something today even the president of our company stopped me and complimented me.

I could not be happier, and although i do worry about the progression i remind myself HEY its only been a month. You did not gain the weight in a month.

I am finally tolerating foods now, i eat tuna and some very light low carb crackers...what cracks me up is that after three crackers with Tuna i am STUFFED beyond compare. I giggle to myself and i definitely have a lot of restriction. The only thing is that i do need to eat every 2-3hrs. No if ands or buts.

Concerns i live with:

• How long can i sustain this behavior of not eating or drinking at the same time and waiting an hour pre or post?
  • I went to get bloodwork, bc i worry about my Vitamin depletion and thyroid/metabolic condition
  • Now is the real test of time, when the options are open as to what i can eat. Ensuring that i stick to a heavy Protein lo-carb diet is imperative.
  • Dehydration- i know i am not drinking enough water, i am trying its just not that easy. I get full or i have to wait and then i forget

This is all for now. Would love to hear from others with the same concerns or experiences. I have been setting my alarm for the times i can drink something after a meal. Any tricks of the trade? recipes?

For those considering this surgery, please do your homework, listen to the conditions that you will have to live with for the rest of your life because even though this is reversible, why would you ever want to go through the surgery again?

But if i was sitting next to my old self right now and she was asking me for advise - i would say DO IT! HEAD FIRST NO HELMET! Because the high i am on right now, fitting into smaller clothes, feeling great, lots of physical stamina and getting such a large amount of feedback and encouragement from friends and family is soo worth it. and the experience with my Dr. has been nothing short of exceptional. They are always available to answer my questions - first class all the way. I am ready for the next chapter in this challenge and eager to accept this as the norm-waiting for the moment when its just "eh" a part of my life and i don't have to think about it as much.

My next goal for month 2 is drop to a size 6 at least by April 28th, develop healthy athletic mind and body. Will keep you posted. Next Wednesday i can finally eat normal foods!

As always, this post is meant only to encourage and personal recount of my experiences. I am neither a medical professional or have the ability to provide medical advise. I hope you read this post with love and that i did not offend anyone.

Sending you all my love and on our way to 134andHappy!

What was your starting BMI? My wife is at 28.5 and questioning if she should have the surgery. We are set for the 26th.

134&Happy-(Soon to be 114&Healthy)

Thanks for the updates! I look forward to reading your posts and getting excited about this journey next month. Like you i am not sharing my decision with ANYONE not even my family. My only cheerleader is my husband who's keeps reminding the failure is not an option. Full throttle!!

I wanted to start my pre-op diet this month but my doctor said 2 weeks out is good enough. What brand of Soup are you using for emerg? Have you been sipping on Soups for an entire month?

Thanks again for reminding me how great I will feel soon.

Good luck and stay strong!!

@manwithkids my starting bmi was 32. I would consult with dr. First since they can be the only ones to address psychologically and physically her condition and success rate. It is just a tool for a lifestyle change...how she uses it will determine success. Bmis are a small portion of the equation bc for me I just was not losing anything with trainer cutting calories everything..insulin resistance it was just not moving...

@kika get ready life is about to be amazingly vibrantly changed. I did not do can Soups bc one lifestyle change inforced myself to do even with a restricted diet was reduce processed foods. I only have them in emergencies. My soups were all homemade by grandma, she would make me chicken soups and I would only drink the broth. She would make them in large qty's and I would freeze in small containers. Then take them to work. I did always keep a cup of noodles in my purse that's about the worst of the consumption for broths bc you must be prepared at all times. One thing you are not diminishing is your hunger justbthe capacity for which to satisfy that hunger. Instead of 24oz of Soup you are stuffed with 2-5oz but be prepared every 2hrs to eat. At the first 2wks restriction is absurd you just hate drinking it's like fireworks in the tummy for a while I was even having warm broth at 6am bc it was the only thing that would tame the beast, after a while keffir yogurt. Another interesting fact coffee ....haven't had coffee since pre surgery and I don't crave it. Learn to love whole foods and start looking at fun places for soups. Once you can eat heartier soups you'll stop at fancy restauratnts and take them to go. Try them now during your pre-op and remember post no chunky soups.

Also your Protein shakes are vital...I choose an egg white Protein from whole foods with my mixed frozen berrie and 4 oz of coconut juice w Water blend and enjoy

Also need to be armed with your story...once weight loss starts everyone wants to know who what when where and how....be consistent and accurate lying sucks but it's no ones business but your own.

*****update*****

6days after my post...clocked in at 155...size 6 in some items or a small. Bought a size 28 jeans today. I cried.

Thank GOD everyday and I've been working out a lot...even walking /running before going out last night.

Life is soo sweet. 21lbs to go for 134andhappy ...next Goal 150 within 10 days

Great job! What was your starting weight? How many calories are you eating each day and what's your exercise routine?

Thanks. My starting weight was188lbs..pre op 181

I don't count calories but probably just at 1000 but I also hardly have carbs

I workout with my trainer 3x a week

We do a variation of cross fit with traditional work and I walk run the other days 2-4 miles depends on how I feel

My daily diet routine is

Yogurt bkfst

Protein shake

Lo/no carb lunch chicken or tuna

smoothie or Soup

Tuna or chicken

I know I need to find more options but it's fine for now...no complaints

@manwithkids it usually goes away in about a week. I felt like my stomach just wanted to uncurl itself...lol but i am giving this too much credit. It really is just for about a week max two for me. You must take your Inhibitron religiously until both bottles are done if that is what they prescribed for you, they usually give you something for the ulcers etc to ensure it remains in good health, it definitely helps and tell Dr. So or one of the Dr's there to see if the Buscapina is good for you. I took one a day for a week. Also i never used the pain meds i didn't need them so who knows if they might have helped.