Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do we know to choose a good Dr vs a bad Dr

A good Doctor will be honest with you, if asked if he ever had complication or bad expireince and he admits that he did I think that he is good or a least honest.

So How do we know witch Doctor to go with?

If he has a 100% reputation it makes me wonder if it's true or not,or all the bad reports are not made public.:unsure:

It's also worth searching against that doctor's name on somewhere like verticalsleevetalk as it has a wealth of info (this can be done at the top right of the screen on both sites). Read all you can and then draw your own conclusions.

It's probably worth Googling them too, searches like 'Dr García complications' (BTW I don't know if there's a Dr García doing WLS - I just picked that name coz it's a common Spanish one).

It's also worth searching against that doctor's name on somewhere like verticalsleevetalk as it has a wealth of info (this can be done at the top right of the screen on both sites). Read all you can and then draw your own conclusions.

It's probably worth Googling them too, searches like 'Dr García complications' (BTW I don't know if there's a Dr García doing WLS - I just picked that name coz it's a common Spanish one).

Maybe it would be worth also making a post where we all list our docs...then if someone is considering that particular doc, they have a potential wealth of information (good and bad experiences) just by PM'ing the people who posted. Just a thought.

I just had a very poor experience with Dr. Ortiz's office (Obesity Control Center). I have no reason to personally discredit their surgical work- this is about customer service and fairness.

I had to cancel my surgery at OCC because my husband had to have immediate surgery on his esophagus on Sunday that has forced us to divert our funds (I'm actually selling my car as well).

Unlike any other surgical center, they male you sign a form that your deposit is non-fundable. I was reminded that it was "NON-REFUNDABLE" (in all caps) when I requested the gesture of getting a courtesy refund, as I'm canceling surgery, and it would be a great help.

I know they don't have to, they don't have to abide by the same medical contract standards as the U.S., but- from the standpoint of a person imterracting with another person, what's kind and fair- I think it would be proper to give my deposit back.

I have made one appointment with them in the past and cancelled. I don't have a history of calling with multiple fears and questions- but I've cancelled one time before in 2010. Since then I have referred 2 patients who actually booked and had lap band at OCC. I figured this may have made up for canceling and being a burden before, but I was reminded I have a "history" multiple times. Perhaps there are (natural) doubts that my cancellation is due to my husbands circumstances, but even if so...I don't feel theres any reason so trivial or offensive to cancel that warrants keeping an entire 500$ for a surgery that will not be performed.

I miss hearing my husbands voice. We used to talk quite a bit, and this is a hard time for me and my family. I hope he recovers well. I just feel a bit tender and stepped upon after this. The funny thing is, if they had given my deposit $ back, I'd likely happily make an appointment next year for myself and my husband (who has accepted he needs bariatric help too). After this, regardless of them having my $, I don't feel they will do more than they are legally required to do by contract, and that offers me no peace of mind in my recovery and trip back to LA.

Again, this is no personal discredit to their medical practice or surgical capabilities. The two ladies who had lap band on my refferal did just fine and continue to. This is merely my experience asking for compassion and my deposit back, and being shot down, in a tone that treats me as a contract, not a person who could use help.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I hope that he recovers quickly.

I'm sure that the deposit and after care situation would be the same with any facility in Mexico. I couldn't even get Angeles Health to email me a scan of my post op barium swallow, even though they'd repeatedly said it wasn't a problem and that they were going to send it.

Thank you- I think he will be ok in a month or so, it's just a bit overwhelming right now.

I received a response from OCC that they would ask Dr. Ortiz to make an exception and refund me. I am hoping they do, and if they do I'll be rescheduling for myself and my husband next year. If not, it serves to me as an indicator that maybe it's a 500$ lesson and I should find a different surgeon or just go the ultra expensive USA surgeon route.

I hope you get your deposit back, but as you said, it might be a lesson actually cheaply learned. If they act this way beforehand, how will it be after you pay them the full amount?

I hope your husband gets better soon!

Thanks Chowchows! My feelings exactly- I am hoping they choose to refund me. It's up to Dr. Ortiz specifically, if he is willing to refund me the money out of kindness, I'd feel far more secure with him in the future. If not, it's a 500$ lesson and I'll move on from working with them.

He is doing better! Thank you.

Sorry this happened to you, and I hope your Husband continues to recover well.

Staying in the states for plication is only about 2 or 3 thousand more then going to the OCC. It is worth the extra $. I am not rich, it was a big sacrafice to come up with the extra 3 thousand it cost to go to Ohio instead of Mexico, but it was well worth it. I almost went to OCC, and I am so glad that I did not. When dealing with your health and aftercare, 3 thousand extra is worth it! I

Redalert - I am so sorry to hear about your husband's surgery. I hope he is well on his way to recovery. Keep us posted as to whether or not you get your deposit back. I hope you do.

A good doctor is only as good as the team he works with. It is important to know who is going to give you anesthesia and also if your doctor is available after your surgery to attend to you and walk through the steps with you. OR staff, nurses, and the entire team has to be very good