Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNYTalk Newsletter 08/15/2013

RNYTalk Newsletter

Hey RNYTalk Members!

It’s hard to believe that summer’s almost over! We hope you get some time to enjoy the weather, your family and friends and your pursuit of a healthy lifestyle. If you’ve fallen off course a little bit, RNYTalk.com is a great source of inspiration to get you back on track. If you’re going strong, log onto the forums and give a weight loss buddy a helping hand. That’s what the boards are for! Here’s what we have for you in this month’s newsletter.

• Member Poll – Which Dietary supplements Do You Take?

• Member Spotlight – Meet deaddemamma!

• Staying Nourished After Weight Loss Surgery – Which Bariatric Dietary supplements Do You Need?

• Tips for Better Boarding – Be Considerate!

So read through the newsletter, answer the Dietary Supplement Poll and stick around on RNYTalk.com. We can’t wait to see you there!

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder

RNYTalk.com

Poll – Which Dietary Supplements Do You Take?

Vitamins, minerals and other dietary supplements are important for staying healthy when you’re a bariatric surgery patient. Not every patient receives the same advice and some patients don’t know the best options. This forum is a great place to let everyone know which bariatric supplements YOU take. Can you please take a few minutes to share which dietary supplements you take? Thanks for spreading the word!

1. Do you take a bariatric daily multivitamin/mineral supplement? Which brand and formulation specifically? For example, you might take Centrum for Women or One a Day Women’s Active Metabolism.

2. Which bariatric Vitamins and minerals do you take each day? What is the brand and formulation of each? For example, you might take Puritan’s Pride Calcium Magnesium Vitamin D or Nature Made Iron 65 mg (ferrous sulfate).

3. Which other supplements (including herbals) do you take, and what brands are they? For example, you might take Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omegas fish oil.

Answer these questions and see what other RNYTalk.com members have to say about their dietary supplements by using this link!

Member Spotlight – Meet deaddemamma!

This month, we’re happy to feature deaddemamma in the member spotlight! She’s a 48-year-old teacher from Wisconsin who has a 17-year marriage and three sons. She says that she was always heavy as a child. At the age of 30, she “quit smoking, had another child and had a series of life-threatening health issues.” She was in constant pain, and after 12 years of overeating, she was at 297 pounds. She got her surgery in April of this year and has already lost 68 lbs en route to a goal of 160 lbs!

Deaddemamma says she decided to get weight loss surgery because she “was tired of feeling like I was carrying an elephant around.” She hopes her weight loss will help reduce her chronic pain. Since surgery, her attitude about food has changed – now, food is fuel to her. In fact, deaddemamma says her biggest challenge is eating enough! She has to remind herself to eat three times a day.

Deaddemamma uses RNYTalk.com “to make new friends, lend support and get support.” So far, her main advice is to follow the instructions from your surgeon and nutritionist. Also, eat Protein first, then fruits and vegetables.

Deaddemamma, thank you so much for being in our member spotlight! Congratulations on your weight loss so far, and we look forward to watching you achieve your goals!

If you want to nominate yourself or someone else to be in our Member Spotlight, please do so in the Spotlight forum! You can nominate yourself or someone else anonymously by sending a private message to Alex Brecher. Thanks!

Staying Nourished After Weight Loss Surgery – Which Bariatric Dietary Supplements Do You Need?

You get weight loss surgery as a tool to help you eat less so that you can lose weight. You eat a low-calorie diet, you drink plenty of Water and you hit your Protein goals every day. You’re losing weight and think everything’s under control, but there’s something else you should be thinking about. Ironically enough, you can get malnourished after gastric bypass surgery.

Why are weight loss surgery patients at high risk for Vitamin and mineral deficiencies?

• You’re not eating very much.

• You’re limiting certain food groups.

• Your body is trying to recover from surgery or sustain weight loss.

• You’re eating less fat, so you have more trouble absorbing fat-soluble vitamins.

Right after surgery, you may need liquid or powdered forms of supplements. Later, chewable or even gel supplements may be tolerable. Many weight loss surgery patients take a daily Multivitamin and mineral supplement to get a range of nutrients to make up for possible deficiencies in your diet. Ask your surgeon or a nutritionist which one might be best for you. You might also need to take a few single vitamin or mineral supplements in addition to your daily Multivitamin and mineral supplement.

Which additional supplements might you need? These are some of the common ones, but there are more that you may need.

• Iron – needed to prevent anemia and keep your immune system strong

• Vitamin D – supports bone health to prevent osteoporosis and fractures

• Calcium – supports bone health to prevent osteoporosis and fractures

• Vitamin B12 – helps prevent anemia

• Vitamin A – needed to keep your eyes health and your immune system strong

• Vitamin K – needed for proper blood clotting and bone health

• Vitamin E – a heart-healthy antioxidant

For recommendations from our members, visit this month’s poll on RNYTalk.com! When you’re there, please share your own supplements! As with any advice, a doctor or dietitian should provide the final word.

Tips for Better Boarding – Be Considerate!

We’ll end the newsletter with a brief reminder. RNYTalk.com is a source of information. It’s also a community. Our members depend on RNYTalk.com to be encouraging and supportive. For some of our members, RNYTalk.com is the only source of social support they have for their surgeries and weight loss journeys. Please remember this and respect all members’ rights to a warm and welcoming atmosphere! People may have different viewpoints, but every member deserves respect and courtesy. Thank you for keeping our boards a safe haven for all weight loss surgery patients!

Thanks for reading the newsletter and for your continued support! Don’t forget that you can always check out the old newsletters at RNYTalk.com. It is always a pleasure to hear from members, so please feel free to contact us anytime with feedback. Thanks!

Take care of yourself and each other.

Sincerely,

Alex

==============================================================

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you may unsubscribe by going to your Control Panel and clicking on the Newsletters tab, or clicking on the following link: {unsubscribe}