Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7mos need help getting back on protein

I have strayed away from good foods and went to bad foods....

Help give me advice on how to get back to losing

Again.....

Today is a new day for me... Give me suggestions on what foods to start eating again

To get me losing again...

Thanks for the advice y'all

I don't know about you but I cannot stomach the bariatric shakes that I get from my surgeon...gag!! :wacko: I don't know what area you're from, but people in my support group swear by the Premier Protein shakes, they say they taste like Slim Fast-30g Protein and only 1 g sugar, I think about 160 calories. I know they have them at Sam's Club, but I shop at BJ's and was never able to find them-until this weekend, they must have just started carrying them. Hopefully they will continue, because they really are pretty good and they carry the Premier bars as well (I haven't tried those). If you can't find them at a store near you I believe you can get them online at Amazon. I had surgery this past December and like you, have found myself straying away from the foods we should be eating and not being as careful about my protein intake. I figure if I start out my day with one of these shakes, at least I know I can get 30 g in without much effort

Whatever you do... Get back to drinking the shakes. Your body needs it up until 12 to 18 months. If you want a nice snap back look you need your shakes... Among other reasons as well.

Those people that have that "its obvious you has gastric bypass look" went of their shakes and/or Vitamins .

I've tried a numerous amount if shakes. My fav is Blue Bonnet. Freakn delicious.

If anything try and have 1 shake after you work out... Your body needs the Protein to rebuild... Plus,it also helps to tone and build sexy muscles.

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 4.5 mons post op. CW: 160.0 lbs. --- Only 10 lbs to my goal ---

My daughter is 15 months out and I am 7 days out . She did the 2 week liquid with me except she did shake in morning shake at lunch and dinner vegetable and meat. she still is loosing weight . Also she makes great shakes . Uses 1 scoop body fortress Protein 8 ounce skim milk then she puts a t spoon sugar free pudding or Jello or both and makes great shakes! My favorite is cherry cheesecake ! U can add ice if u want thicker shakes . good luck !! also remember make better choices.

Start logging your food. It is the best way to snap you back to reality. We can't change something that we don't acknowledge and food logging helps you do that.

Start logging your food. It is the best way to snap you back to reality. We can't change something that we don't acknowledge and food logging helps you do that.

Beyond any shadow of a doubt, hands down, absolutely positively the single most powerful tool you can possibly have in your arsenal, regardless of where you're at in your journey - pre-op, rapid weight loss, maintenance, and yes - getting back on track following weight gain. Nuff said.

Was doing some research today and thought of this thread when I ran across a study by the National Institutes of Health. Two very important quotes from the study -

"Subjects who engaged in self-monitoring were less likely to regain any weight following bariatric surgery."

"Postoperative self-monitoring behaviors are strongly associated with freedom from regain. These data suggest that weight regain can be anticipated, in part, during the preoperative evaluation and potentially reduced with self-monitoring strategies after RYGB."

Self-monitoring = food logs. Just one more reason to add to a long and impressive list of benefits from maintaining a food log. Quick, easy, available to almost anyone and most (including MFP which I believe is the best) are free. And in spite of that, the vast majority of us do not log our food. Why?

You can view the summary (short) of the study at - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19554382

Was doing some research today and thought of this thread when I ran across a study by the National Institutes of Health. Two very important quotes from the study -

"Subjects who engaged in self-monitoring were less likely to regain any weight following bariatric surgery."

"Postoperative self-monitoring behaviors are strongly associated with freedom from regain. These data suggest that weight regain can be anticipated, in part, during the preoperative evaluation and potentially reduced with self-monitoring strategies after RYGB."

Self-monitoring = food logs. Just one more reason to add to a long and impressive list of benefits from maintaining a food log. Quick, easy, available to almost anyone and most (including MFP which I believe is the best) are free. And in spite of that, the vast majority of us do not log our food. Why?

You can view the summary (short) of the study at - http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19554382

Why don’t we log. As someone who has recently seen the error of my ways I can answer that one easily.

1. It is hard to see our habits black and white staring right at us.
  2. It is easier to just eat and not stop and log our food
  3. Easier to say I am doing what I am supposed to post op
  4. Easier to be ignorant of our food choices.

Finally, some of us have not read your great posts and gotten it into our hard heads that logging food is the best thing for us. Thanks DL for setting us straight and helping us see the light!

I just saw this behavior in myself and had to have a come-to-jesus moment. You're in good company, we all struggle at some point-its why we're here. My new goal is to get in 100g of Protein a day and 6 cups of Water, eat clean and snack healthy. It's especially important now because I can't exercise much. I have to keep all weight off my right knee and was ordered to be on crutches for 6-24weeks (depending on how well/soon it heals). I log everything in MFP, it's awesome. tuna and shrimp are excellent sources of protein-they are the easiest for me to eat. Syntax nectar has good shakes; I've tried the fuzzy navel (my fave) Roadside Lemonade (ok), and vanilla bean (super vanilla and almost too sweet).

I also removed all the bad Snacks from my desk so I don't get tempted, and stocked up on fruits and veggies, (and it doesn't hurt that I can't carry much while on my crutches). Whatever you do, just keep trying, don't give up.

Ready and Music - I have to tell you, you guys have made my day!

Figured I'd give an update since my last post on this topic. I've been getting in about 100g of Protein pretty consistently over the last week, some days a little more. Mind you I'm a slow loser, but I've already lost 3.6 lbs. It's not always easy because I have to supplement with protein powders and bars to do it, (BLECH) but I try really hard. Eventually I'll learn to do this better with food, but for now it works for me. My only question is why in the world didn't I do this sooner?!

I needed this thread! I'm 13 months out and have gotten into some bad habits, skipping breakfast!!! Uh I know! Snacking on whatever when I remember I need to eat. And the worst!!! No Protein shakes!!!!!! I'm kicking myself in the butt. I'm still losing but attribute it to high stress, high cardio for stress relief lol, and less food intake. No proud but my life is upside down. I need to refocus. I need to get back in gear and do 100%. Will make a shake before bed just ate dinner.

Thanks guys!

Jenn, do you maintain a food log? It might help a LOT in avoiding the bad habits. Crazy as it sounds, it is amazing how just knowing that you will be logging, will change what you will be logging!

Jenn' date=' do you maintain a food log? It might help a LOT in avoiding the bad habits. Crazy as it sounds, it is amazing how just knowing that you will be logging it will change what it is that you will be logging![/quote']

I did start logging that's when it hit me I have been skipping meals and eating crappy Snacks. Yesterday I did really well :) got back on that horse and back at it today Protein, good Snacks and Protein meals!!!! Yay for new starts

I did start logging that's when it hit me I have been skipping meals and eating crappy Snacks. Yesterday I did really well :) got back on that horse and back at it today Protein, good Snacks and Protein meals!!!! Yay for new starts

Good for you!! Stop by the "food Logs Discussion" thread and join in! Unfortunately loggers are a small minority of the overall RNY population but we're trying to get the word out. Great place to share your logging experience and learn from the experiences of others as well.